“The New Master Gallery, and Timeless Meditations Exhibit, is Not to be Missed” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tubac Center of the Arts

Tubac Center of the Arts
Ranked #2 of 22 things to do in Tubac
More attraction details
Owner description: Tubac Center of the Arts is the Core of Art in Tubac. TCA is a non-profit arts organization dedicated to the celebration and promotion of the arts through education, exhibitions, and performing arts. There are rotating juried exhibitions of art from both local artists as well as artists from across the country. The center also includes a children's summer arts program, art workshops, a gift shop, and ongoing events throughout the year. Please visit our website, for our current calendar of events and for more information. Visit TubacCalendar dot com for all Tubac area events.
Tubac, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“The New Master Gallery, and Timeless Meditations Exhibit, is Not to be Missed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

The Tubac Center of the Arts has always been one of my favorite small gems among regional American museums. But with the new Master Artist Gallery, and its permanent collection of iconic Southern Arizona artists, I personally think TCA has reached a whole new level. Now, in one place, I can experience the landscape, animals and people of Southern Arizona through the eyes of its greatest artists.

The new "Timeless Meditations" exhibit (through Nov. 11, 2012) is also the best I have ever seen at TCA, and the artists represent more than 25 states, so it's a national juried show. Walking through it, my artist friend remarked that it would have been equally at home in a New York gallery. The show is simply that good. There is even a Tibetan monk coming from Nepal to create a sand mandala as part of the exhibit!

I am impressed that TCA isn't just content to rest on its laurels but is pushing itself to present, and the public to experience, art in new ways. I am not affiliated with TCA but now I am especially proud to live in the area and call them my neighbor.

Visited October 2012
3 Thank Ginapple

Ruidoso, New Mexico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Huge talent in a tiny place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2012

Tubac Center of the Arts has a beautiful array of art pieces ranging from oils, watercolors, & photography and more. A very pleasant stop along the way in a most creative place.

Visited March 2012
3 Thank Janet L
Tucson
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Tubac Center of the Arts is wonderful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2012

There are two things I like best about going to Tubac. First is the absolutely beautiful view of the west side of the Santa Ritas, a mountain range we Tucsonans rarely get to see in character as much as we do it's siblings, the Tucsons, Rincons, and Catalinas. Second is the Tubac Center of the Arts, and as it sits smack dab in the center of town all roads seem to lead there. Always exhibiting something new the Tubac Center of Arts features artists from all over the region. One of my favorites was the Mata Ortiz pottery exhibit, marked by one of the artists firing a pot outside the Center using dried cow pies. Being a City Boy I found this fascinating and, for those of you interested in Mata Ortiz pottery firing trivia, I learned that the cow pies have to be free of mesquite beans because they create hot spots. (More fascination for a guy who has never kicked a cow pie)

Anyway... I love the variety of art displayed at the Center and I've seen beautiful works in just about every medium you can imagine. They have a wonderful staff and a great gift shop with the profits helping to support the Center. Also if you want the best Tubac Art Center experience, walk in the door and ask for Karon Leigh. You'll get everything you wanted to know about the Center from an expert, and if you're lucky you'll get to meet Maggie, the most adorable dog I've ever seen.

Tubac is a quick drive from Tucson on I-19, but if you're coming from the far east side I suggest taking Sahuarita Rd to Old Nogales Hwy. It’s only minutes longer but a much more relaxing drive.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank David R
Yuma, Arizona, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Artsy Craftsy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2012

Lots of art and clothes plus very good restaurants

Visited March 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Never miss a chance to stop in”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2012

Every time I visit Tubac I make sure to stop by the Tubac Art Center, whether to see a show or to check out the unique gifts. The staff is very friendly, the atmosphere is welcoming, and the art is always enjoyable.

Visited November 2011