“Delicious Crab Cakes”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed October 24, 2013

We enjoy having lunch here when we are in Tubac. The menu has lots to choose from, but the Italian food is their specialty. We have had the pizza and lasagne, both were very good. My wife had the crab cake burger on this visit and I had the Peasant Burger. We opted for the house made cole slaw instead of fries and were pleased with our choice. The manager was checking with customers as they ate to see if everything was satisfactory. For us, this is a sign of a well managed restaurant. We will continue to eat here.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

It always has great food and service of any restaurant in Tubac. We have lived here for nine
years and are never disappointed when we take friends from out of town for dinner. The people
who work here are very friendly and make everyone feel great.

1  Thank Neala F
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Amazing pizza. All the ingredients are so fresh. It does take awhile, but well worth the wait. Their pasta dishes are great too. The garlic knots are so yummy! If you're looking for amazing Italian food then this is a must! Hands down the best pizza we've had in Arizona.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

My family and I were having a weekend getaway in Tubac. So excited to go to this restaurant, as we have heard good things. Upon arriving (August early evening, ready to rain out), we were asked by two hostesses if we had a reservation. The restaurant was 2/3 EMPTY and one table was getting ready to leave. After waiting a few minutes, one hostess arrived to let us know that we didn't have a reservation and it would be about 15-20 minutes before they would seat us. When I remarked it was August in Tubac, and she was kidding, she got very snotty with me, "All those tables, every one, has a reservation. I can't seat you." So I let her know that we probably wouldn't return if we were not seated. She promptly stated she couldn't seat us now -- with a very snotty attitude. So we left. Probably never to return.

I understand staffing and reservations, as a former restaurant worker myself. But the snotty attitude, the lack of apology and general unfriendliness made me not want to spend my $$$ there. We went on to Shelby's (an old favorite of ours) and had a fabulous dinner.

Rename the restaurant "the Italian Snobs" and it will be more accurate. Very disappointing.

2  Thank Linda F
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Four of us had an early dinner at the Italian Peasant after a visit to the Tubac Art Center. We had reservations and were seated exactly where we’d requested. The décor makes one feel as if you are really in Italy, with the red and white-checkered tablecloths and cozy décor, and a touch of old Tucson with the Western bar.

The service was prompt, attentive, and very courteous. With such a varied menu (see http://theitalianpeasanttub.wix.com/tubac#!menu but the current menu is expanded), there is something there for everyone. One member in our party wanted the 10” pizza but asked if they could make it without cheese. No problem, and he got to select five toppings from a long list. Their pizza ovens insure a nicely browned, thin crispy crust. He also wanted a dinner salad. My husband questioned ordering a large salad and was promptly offered a half salad, which was more than adequate for him.

For his main course, my husband had the Veal Parmesan which arrived bubbling hot on a wooden server. It was enveloped in cheese and a delicious homemade marinara sauce. The veal was tender and cooked to perfection. He also had a side of yummy homemade spaghetti, part of which he took home in a box.

My friend and I both ordered the Ahi Tuna salad, which was beautifully presented and came with a very nice wasabi sauce on the side. The tuna was done to perfection as we’d ordered it (rare). It was a sizable serving, and we were both glad that we’d bypassed the tempting appetizers.

Their house wines are reasonably priced and can be ordered by the glass, or by the half or whole carafe.

We all raved about our dinners! This place is a real gem, and we’ll be back!

1  Thank WinstonAZ