“Really great east coast pizza!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Italian Peasant

Italian Peasant
Ranked #6 of 19 Restaurants in Tubac
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Really great east coast pizza!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2011

We have eaten at The Italian Peasant seveal times since it has opened, when it first opened they had a very limited menu.Now they have expanded their menu. One night I asked the waitress if the chef could make me linguini and clams. it was not on the menu that time, but the chef gladly made me the dish and it was very good. Now I am an Italian/American from New Haven CT. where we have the BEST pizza, so I was pleasantly surprised at how good the pizza was at The Italian Peasant. Dominic , the owner, is a very friendly guy and he always comes over to our table to chat with us. The only problem that wehave encountered there is that sometimes the pasta is over cooked and tastes very starchy. Our friends and I prefer our pasta al dente. The last time we ate there it was over cooked, so we had the waitress take it back, it came over cooked again. The waitress told us she would let Dominic know about our complaint(he was not there that night). She was very apologetic and seemed intent on telling Dominic about the over cooked pasta. wait staff are very friendly and accommodating.We have other so called Italian Restaurants in the Green Valley area, but The Italian Peasant is the best of all of them. Since I am partial to my own pasta and sausebwe usually just go there for the great pizza, but I have had the eggplant parm and the veal parm on kaiser rolls and they were very good. My husband loves their shrimp scampi. In fact we are celebrating his 60th birthday there on April 7th. I have been around the restaurant business since I have a cousin who is a professional chef and owned three restaurants back in Connecticut.I know that when you start up a new restaurant it takes awhile to get all the kinks out. I am hopeful that Dominic will straighten out those kinks because would sorely miss The Italian Peasant's great pizza being close by.We use to travel to Grimaldi's in Tucson for our pizza fix, and we are grateful that we are now only ten miles away from great east coast pizza.

tucson
“The best food at great prices in Tubac Az !!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2011

We love the wonderful dishes all freshly made. From Wood fired pizzas to homade meat balls and spagetti to the cheesiest lasagna we have ever tasted. Also served fresh spring salads. The atmosphere in great and servers are very friendly. This restaurant was a real find in the Arizona desert. We would highly recommend it to travelers ... the prices are very resonable.

• Visited March 2011
Arizona
“Very poor service & dirty.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2011

We were there on 2/21/11, mid afternoon, after the lunch hour. We sat at 1 of 2 empty tables - both were dirty. We waited over 10 minutes while 2 of the 3 waiters walked around doing nothing - 1 was busy with other customers. No one even acknowledged our presence, although they were not busy. Eveyone at the other tables already had their food, so there was no excuse for being ignored.

My seat faced the kitchen, and I watched as one of the kitchen staff made salads while not wearing gloves. That turned me off.

We had been there once before, and they do have OK, not the best, pizza. I'm from New York City and it's close, but not as good. But the lack of service means we'll never go back.

• Visited February 2011
provence77
“Excellent pizza in tubac”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2011

Love having this place in tubac. Great staff, great service and nice owner who is always pleasant and makes you feel right at home.

Chappaqua, New York
“New York in Tubac”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2011

Read the other reviews after having been here twice, once for dinner, and once for takeout pizza. Both dinner and pizza were excellent. Very East Coast (I'm from Brooklyn) in flavor and presentation. Don't understand people's reactions to the owner. Perhaps because I'm from NY I felt nothing like the vibes others wrote about. I strongly recommend locals supporting this fine and fun restaurant. Very homemade, very Sicilian style cuisine. And a refuge for this New Yorker when we visit our relatives in Tubac. Strongly recommended.

• Visited February 2011