“Gourmet Mexican near the border”
Review of Elvira's

Elvira's
Ranked #1 of 19 Restaurants in Tubac
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed February 20, 2011

Went with family and we sampled each other's dishes. Had the Mole Actopan, others had the chile rellenos and the chipotle steak. All the dishes were interesting, flavorful, and vibrant. Have had gourmet Mexican food in NYC and California, but this stands with the best of them. Flan and chocolate cake desserts were first rate. Margaritas were massive. Staff was helpful and nice but room could do to hire one or two more servers to deal with the large crowds. My table kept ordering them. We're going back again this week before we leave Tubac. Highly recommended.

1  Thank chappaquamaestro

Reviewed December 15, 2010

Restaurant is attractive with expensive lunch menu, e.g. $18 for chile rellenos, entrees are approximately $23. We ordered appetizers--all delicious and more affordable. Service was acceptable during the meal but after our meal my friend asked the owner to take a picture of our group of five women, he turned to a server and asked her to do it. She responded, "I'm on my break." Eventually, an unhappy server was corraled to do the job.
The food was good but diners shouldn't expect any special favors.

Reviewed December 2, 2010

Arrived at 7:00pm to the restaurant was seated at 7:05 pm next to the kitchen, plenty of empty tables away from the kitchen was informed they did not have enough staff for the open tables. The waitress took our order (drink, salad, entree). The salad arrived at approximately 7:10, followed by the main course at 7:14. Our drinks arrived half way through the meal. With the arrival of the drinks we were asked if we were ready for dessert. We weren't even half finished with the meal. Once i finished eating, my plate was taken away and a bill issued. Didn't get a chance to order dessert. Out of the restaurant by 7:25.

The food was so-so, would never go back

6  Thank Lito51855
Reviewed November 30, 2010

Love their steak. Always great service after new staff.

Reviewed September 21, 2010

On each of our Tubac trips we dined at Elviras. The first time, the meal was outstanding. I had the tacos huitlacoche (chicken and corn mushroom). I had not had huitlacoche since I lived in Mexico and these were delicious! It was not an entree, but an appetizer for 10.95. I ordered refried beans on the side that were delicious, but I was lucky if it was 3 tablespoons! (imagine a SMALL icecream scoop). My husband had a steak and enjoyed it tremendously. We didn't mind the price, well over 100.00 for a birthday dinner. This was just the meal and drinks, no dessert.

The next time we visited, the service, the seating and the management was beyond terrible! We were seated in the bar. The waitress and the bartender (who was on the cell phone the entire time) were in a terrible fight, snapping at each other and giving dirty looks. My husband tried to get the attention of the waitress ("server" is too kind a word) and instead of inquiring at the table, she would stomp over and slam down another beer, without even asking him what he wanted!!!!!!!! HE DID NOT WANT A BEER!!!! This happened THREE TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!! Our meals were slammed down in front of us, no water, no smile, no kiss my %#$#%$$ from the waitress. My husbands meal was 5 tough little pieces of flank steak in a brown sauce served in a lava bowl, it was terrible. I again had the huitlacoche tacos and loved them, but it just wasn't worth the terrible service and overall superiority complex of the employees. This restaurant will survive only from the poor unsuspecting tourists if it continues in this manner. I rarely decline to leave a tip, even with mediocre service, but if I could have deducted the terrible service from the bill, we would have eaten for free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2  Thank pixsgirl