“Good Food, Interesting Atmosphere, A Bit Pricey”
Review of Elvira's

Elvira's
Ranked #1 of 19 Restaurants in Tubac
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 18, 2013

The food was very good and my dinner companion enjoyed the reasonably priced house tequila. I had the server recommended spicy garlic and rosemary shrimp. My companion had the shrimp molcajete chipotle. Both were tasty but not out of this world. Dining options in Tubac are somewhat limited. I'd return but with lower expectations and some larger bills in my wallet!

Reviewed January 14, 2013

This is a very upscale Mexican restaurant in smalltown Tubac, AZ. We had lunch and it was a lot for a lunch but when you consider the quality of the food and the service, it was worth it.
A nice touch is the 50-cents Hola tequla shot they offer.
This and Stables restaurant seem to be the top places to eat in town but this one is easier to access and right where the shopping is.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

We had lunch here while staying a few days in Tubac. Overall, our experience was very good. At first I wasn't sure whether I was in a restaurant or nightclub given the dance club like decorations/atmosphere. It was a bit incongruous with its desire to be considered a fine dining establishment. I had one of the many chicken mole dishes which would have been excellent if the chicken had not been overcooked and dry. Since we were on vacation we indulged in the "add a tequila shot to your meal for $.50" which was fun and a great gimmick. While it wasn't cheap, we would go back to Elviras.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

After exchanging a chipped plate set for ambiance only, our meals came out. We decided to share one entree' and one appetizer. The entree' was the chili Verde enchiladas. It was served covered in green chili sauce and the corn tortilla's were served soft, and easy to cut. A very palatable dish as prepared. The chips were substantial and the frijoles were moist and soft. Flavor abounds.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Does it make sense to drive 130 miles for dinner? Well yes if that restaurant is Elvira’s in Tubac. This eclectic restaurant started in 1927 in Nogales, Mexico, but moved their restaurant to Tubac upon the realization that most customers were from Arizona and fewer were crossing the border for dinner at night. We are so glad that they did. We have had lunch in both Nogales and their Tubac location, but always felt that we were missing something by not eating there at night. The trip is an easy one from Phoenix and we decided to spend the night locally so that we could fully experience Elvira’s at night.

Wow! You are hit with an explosion of refined colors and senses upon entering the restaurant and from the time of our arrival to our leaving, it was great fun. We began with our favorite refreshments versus the varied list of margaritas and our drinks were well made. We started with a very fresh salad of romaine lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, red onions and peppers and it was excellent. My wife ordered the Chilean Sea Bass on sautéed garlic spinach and was not disappointed. In fact she could not stop talking about it. While we saw a number of interesting beef dishes pass by our table I went with the Shrimp Molcajete Chipotle. Oooh, this was so good, served boiling in a lava pot with very large shrimp, cubes of cheese, cilantro, and a variety of chile’s (morita, chipotle and guajillo). I was warned that it was spicy, but the combination of the spices and the heat were just fine. Along with freshly made flour tortillas there was simply no sauce left in the bowl. We were certainly too full for desert, but next time room will be saved for the Bananas Foster!

Chef/owner Ruben Monroy should be proud of his restaurant. The ambience, creativity/quality of the food, along with exceptional service places this restaurant among the top restaurants that I have dined in Mexico City. This is a very good restaurant.