“So glad we stopped here!”
Review of Dinosaur Tracks

Dinosaur Tracks
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Tuba City
More attraction details
Owner description: These are dinosaur tracks on the side of the highway on the Navajo Nation.
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Navajos that live near here are waiting to show you a huge area chock full of dinosaur tracks. They don't ask for money, but a tip is appreciated. You can just look at the tracks right in front of you, but if you want to walk further to see more they will take you. Also, there is a small jewelry stand with very nice handmade goods at more than reasonable prices.
If you are in the area, you must take a look!

Reviewed September 19, 2013

I was traveling solo through the area and decided to take the chance to stop and check out the dinosaur tracks. I was leery of stopping due to some reviews that said that it was remote, the guides were sketchy, they felt unsafe, etc, and as a female traveling alone - these reviews worried me. However, curiosity won out, and I'm extremely glad that I decided to stop (around 1 PM on a Wednesday in September 2013). The viewing area is not far from the main road, and at no time did I feel unsafe or threatened. My guide was very nice, pointed out many different types of tracks, and made an effort to make small talk as we walked from one set of tracks to the next. He did not try to pressure me into paying him for his time, although I did give him a generous tip. After I paid him and walked away from his craft stand, I was able to walk back over the viewing area and take additional pictures without being harassed.

1  Thank Katie G
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We visited here on our way back from Monument Valley.

The tracks are incredible and that's what the 4 stars are for. However, the people who show you round are unknowledgeable and misinformed. They told us that various different shapes of footprint were all "Raptor" prints.

We turned up about 7pm when the sun was setting and were shown round by a lady who was packing up. The site is poorly preserved and this made us sad. The lady trampled all over the tracks and the signs leading up to the site are literally painted on wood. It's a shame the Government don't own this land as you cannot imagine it being so poorly looked after in that case. Sadly, we envisaged the tracks would be lost to damage soon. We tipped $10 but many have said they were hassled for more money. The lady seemed fairly content with that amount though.

The lady took us on a 10 minute tour of the tracks and they really are impressive. We saw tracks and bones and even fossilised eggs - incredible! The lady poured bottled water into the tracks to show us them although this was completely unnecessary as we could see them fine without. The water cooling the rock, warming up and then evaporating twenty times a day in the track prints will only contribute to their erosion. Sad really.

All in all, I love dinosaurs and this was worth seeing for me. But the poor way it's looked after hurts to see. Also, we didn't feel threatened like many have said but we were a part of 2 men and 1 woman and arrived to see only a lady there. Maybe if circumstances were different we would have had a different experience.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

It is definitely worth the trip to see these dinosaur tracks. You can easily find them as there are markers to help. I was a little surprised at the small size as I was expecting much larger prints. Fortunately, there were lots of them to see!

Reviewed August 16, 2013

We spotted the hand painted sign that read, "Dinosaur Tracks." As soon as we turned down the dirt road, we thought we'd have to venture out on our own to spot the tracks. Once parked, we saw tables set up with hand made jewelry. A native Navajo took a few of us on a guided tour and pointed out all of the tracks, poop, egg and a Ammonite fossil. There were more prints than we expected and I had no idea that we would see more than just dinosaur prints. This is quite impressive and worth the stop. Like others have stated there is no fee just a donation which is appreciated.

1  Thank beaches