“Dinosaur Tracks Near Tuba City”
Review of Dinosaur Tracks

Dinosaur Tracks
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Tuba City
More attraction details
Owner description: These are dinosaur tracks on the side of the highway on the Navajo Nation.
Reviewed September 17, 2012

If you are on the way to Kayenta(Monument Valley) or even by Flagstaff (1h10 drive) stop by the Dinosaur Tracks. There is a sign on the road marking the entrance, barely a 100yds from the lane. Will spend 30min on the place and must walk with a Navajo Guide. They are nice, humbles and you must help with a tip (they depend on it to live). They don't ask any value, as it is onto you. And don't expect a class of paleonthology, read something before on the net.
Ask before shooting pictures of the Navajos, as it is unpolite to do it without their consent (respect them, you are on their lands).
Worth 100% the stop by, mainly if you have kids!!

1  Thank Alfri43
in 5 reviews
"footprints"
in 43 reviews

Reviewed August 28, 2012

Though reluctant at first, too, like many others who've written before me, because it was no official thing, we really enjoyed this tour! our native guide, maybe 12 or 13 years of age, was extremely cool and had a pretty profound knowledge. just do it, when you're in the area! but don't forget to tip accordingly (our guide didn't even ask for anything.. so we didn't feel like being forced into anything)!

2  Thank Iris M
Reviewed August 28, 2012

As a child my grandmother and aunts used to bring me here to view the dinosaur tracks every time I came to visit. One time in 4th grade I told my teacher at school about this place and she didn't believe me when I told her there are well-preserved dinosaur tracks on the Navajo reservation. So I guess this is one of Arizona's best kept secrets. I love it because it tells us more about what the environment in the area used to be like(maybe it was lush and swampy?) and it also is cool because the meteor crater is near Winslow; it all ties together and helps me make more sense about dinosaurs. I love stopping here to take pictures and stare at the tracks.

1  Thank Christina J
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We were a little hesitant when we drove up. We were surprised when we were approached by a guide that clearly was not from a legitimate tour company. We reluctanly followed him as he starting on with his "tour" of the tracks. We were actually very impressed with his knowledge and he was very personable. He led us on for about a 20 minute tour and we all all enjoyed it very much...kids and adults alike. This is a must stop. We automatically assumed that he worked for tips and was happy to tip him at the end of the tour, he tried to push some native jewelry from the jewelry stand but wasn't aggressive about it all.

1  Thank t k
See more reviews
Reviewed August 15, 2012

If you're in the area, this place is worth the small detour off of highway 160. During the tourist season (summer) there are Natives that sit in the sun all day awaiting tourists to come by and buy their jewelry and go on the tour. The tour experience is highly variable. I've been to the Dinosaur Tracks a handful of times to show visitors, and sometimes the guide knows only enough to point out a few tracks, sometimes the guide has spent some time educating him/herself and followed around a professor that comes in the summertime. Based on my internet research, some of the info was legit, some were quite wrong. In short, the tracks are real, but no T-Rex during that time period. Eggs and poop are really iron deposits. But, unless you know what you are looking for, go ahead and accept the guide. The majority of the population around there is quite poor; running water and electricity is not a given in many households. Think of it as a cultural experience and feel good about tipping (but don't let them force you into paying a crazy fee.) The ones sitting out there are at least the ones who are trying to make a living.

1  Thank Y R