“Fascinating”
Review of Dinosaur Tracks

Dinosaur Tracks
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Tuba City
More attraction details
Owner description: These are dinosaur tracks on the side of the highway on the Navajo Nation.
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Having read mixed reviews before our planned trip, we weren't sure what to expect. This is located near Tuba City, AZ, in Navajo lands. You can't miss the homemade signs at the highway, pointing you to the site, just a matter of yards from the highway. A young man greeted us as we exited our vehicle, and took us to see many types of dinosaur tracks - from raptors to pteradactyls. Kids would love the fossilized dinosaur dung! There was even a partial skeleton. This was an interesting and fun side stop. There is no fee, but we gave our guide a $20 bill for the tour. It lasted about 30 minutes.

1  Thank grits4

Reviewed May 29, 2012

This site is located on Navajo land. Signs from the main road are obvious and easy to follow although they are hand painted so appear a little unprofessional. That's ok, because it adds to the pleasant experience that you're really not at an attraction, but visiting a friend with something unique and interesting in his back yard.

As you enter the parking lot, there are a number of booths set up and what appeared to be a Navajo family stationed at each one. It appeared to us that they take turns with visitors so that they all get a chance to share in the donations from visitors. Each booth also seemed to have a selection of jewelry, the usual stuff you see at these roadside booths.

We did not see any facilities to purchase food, water or to use the restroom.

A young Navajo man of about 13 years of age approached us on the way in asking if we were there to see the tracks. When we said yes, he directed us where to park and noted that his sister was operating the jewelry booth we'd just parked in front of while he would show us the tracks. He also told us that he would ask for a donation at the conclusion of our visit.

He was surprisingly knowledgeable for 13 years old and also had a bottle of water he'd pour on selected tracks to improve the contrast. The tracks were about 200 yards of walking on a level path from the parking area. I'm not sure I'd call it handicap accessible, but it was easy walking.

It was hot but our visit only took about 20 minutes. While the tracks were certainly authentic, he also showed us "dinosaur eggs" which in my educated opinion (just from some study) told me they were more likely iron concretions than eggs but we didn't contradict him. His knowledge of the tracks was sufficient and more than I'd expect from a 13 year old, but at the same time, nowhere near the level you'd get from an adult. Nonetheless, we were respectful and asked to take photographs to which he readily agreed. We also photographed him and his cousin (but I did not post these photos since I do not have his permission).

We occasionally came to holes in the ground where it was obvious that large sections of the rock had been removed. Our guide seemed to know exactly what year and where each slab went, typically to a museum. It was a bit sad to see so much missing, yet there is still a huge deposit at this site, and well worth the visit.

At the end he asked for a donation which I'd expected. I gave him $15 but also indicated we wanted to look over the jewelry. He found this quite acceptable. I had been prepared to go as high as $20. We found the quality to be about the same as other Navajo jewelry we'd seen elsewhere but due to the remote location on Navajo land, the prices here were about 1/2 what we'd seen in any shop and they were negotiable. We bought about $35 worth of jewelry (shop value would have been about $120) and we were on our way in less than an hour.

3  Thank copperdragon66
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I was only going by info from a newspaper article that didn't mention the "tour guides" so we didn't know what the going rate was. Our guide accepted our $10 "donation," which sounds cheap, I guess, but there were only 2 of us and we only spent about 15 minutes. The tracks are right there, so you could just look yourself, but as others have said, you're a guest on their land. And, our guide pointed out things that we would have missed on our own. He also highlighted them with water, which made them easier to see and photograph. He and the jewelry sellers were friendly and not pushy. Glad we stopped!

2  Thank allme
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Between milepost 316 and 317. Actually you will see big sign posts screaming for your attention so you can't possibly miss them.

Our guide was knowledgeable enough for us. For the 30-minutes or so, I paid her $20 and she seemed quite satisfied.

3  Thank fatherhen
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We had a great time seeing the dinosaur tracks in Tuba City. We had a really nice guide who spent a lot of time showing us the tracks and fossils in the area (they bring a water bottle with them to help highlight the tracks). He charged $20 for the tour. You can't miss it - it is well signed off of Highway 160. It's an easy walk from the parking lot out across the rocks to see all of the tracks. A definite must-do for the kids if you're traveling from the Grand Canyon to Monument Valley!

1  Thank Carolyn G