“Short Stay”
Review of Hostel Fe

Hostel Fe
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Having stayed in the hotel for 5 nights I have to say that the reviews have been overly critical, lovely people and a lovely place! Having such nice friendly staff about, that speak proper English, is a result!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed May 5, 2014

We stayed at Hostel Fe for two nights after reading lots of positive reviews, which seemed to outweigh the negative ones. After walking around San Pedro we realised there are PLENTY of really nice looking hostels/hotels to stay at, and we were really disappointed with our choice.
We had pre-paid US$20 for the first night, and upon arrival were charged US$40 for the second night having not seen the room (our choice) due to Semana Santa. It's standard in Guatemala for inflamed prices that week but we did feel ripped off after our experience. I'll upload some pictures of our room with en-suite (beds were one single and one 3/4 length)..it was dingy, old bright pink sheets, pillows were gross (used our own - blue ones in the pic) did not feel clean (I slept in my cocoon sheet!) broken glass in the window and the bathroom was just...grim, the shower looked quite unsafe. Basically, the place lacks any kind of attention and it completely drab and depressing. We spent as little time as in there as possible.

The positives: the privates are on the top floor, and yes the view of the lake is nice. The bar was a cool place to hang out, with darts and cheap rum and cokes (Q12 - around £1). There were towels in the room (although we used them to hang over the windows to keep out the light and they did not feel clean so used our own towels anyway).

One of the worse experiences here was on our second night we returned to the room around 8:30pm as we had to be up for the bus to Antigua at 4am...minutes later a little Guatemalan man let himself into our room!!! I ran to the door in my pyjamas to see what was going on and he was letting himself in with a key, he apologised and made a swift exit. The irony is that as I closed the door on our evening intruder I noticed the sign on the back of the door reading: "We have a no staff enter guest room policy here if you wish your room and shower to be cleaned please leave your key at the bar at breakfast time and we will clean the room. We will not enter otherwise." We actually laughed about this at the time because we couldn't believe how ridiculous the place was..and unsafe?! We were glad to move on to say the least!

I'm aware the guys that work at the hostel tend to reply to reviews, all I will say is that this is our honest experience of the place, it's a nice location but the place is not maintained and I would not recommend anyone to spend their money here. We are a 20-something couple - open to a fun travelling environment and not bothered by a bit of noise at night but if you are a light sleeper expect to be up ALL night at this hostel. We also had the misfortune of having to dodge vomit on the stairs at 7:25am on the way down to breakfast - which I'll add was not open (they claim to serve from 7:30am but the bar area showed no sign of life 5 minutes prior) so instead of hanging around for our free breakfast we went to IDEA cafe which I can highly recommend for breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lmdarbs
Reviewed May 3, 2014

Was staying over the Easter break which made a lovely getaway from cold England! I really enjoyed my stay here. The bar staff were a great laugh and the customer service was even better than I expected it to be. The location is beautiful. Could not advise a better place to stay! I will definitely be coming back next year! Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Just got back from my stay over Easter and can only recommend this hostel. Such good value for money in a great location. The staff are friendly and helpful and spoke good English which always helps! There is a cool bar which was a fun place to hang out in the evening. Would thoroughly recommend, and really enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Loved this place, it has a wicked bar and great comfortable, clean rooms, the staff are all super friendly and helpful. Really relaxed and fun atmosphere, would really recommend to anyone thinking of a visit.
Hayley Simpson
London

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Great staff, very polite and professional.
Great location which is what we were looking for. The rooms were also very good.
Spent a lot of time chilling by the pool which so refreshing. Cant wait to come back!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 28, 2014

What an cool bar. Loved it from the moment I got there. The rooms are nice and the atmosphere of the whole place is amazing. The staff are so cool and make you feel really welcome.

Just wish I didn't have to leave...

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
#1 of 4 in San Juan la Laguna
Hotel El Sol
Hotel El Sol
#1 of 18 in Panajachel

Been to Hostel Fe? Share your experiences!