“Decent place on the Lake”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Pedro La Laguna
Hospedaje Casa Elena
Vancouver, Canada
“Decent place on the Lake”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights. It is on the lake and if you get a lakeside room you will have a great view. We had a private room with our own bathroom, with windows opening to the lake. There is a spacious balcony and hammocks to relax in.
The rooms however are basic - it is San Pedro and you pay about $15 (100Q) and should be able to negotiate it down to 80Q. If you are on a tight budget however you can find other rooms for much cheaper (35Q) with great views.

San Pedro gets mixed reviews - we are here in low season and we are a couple in our 30's not into the backpacker party scene and we have had a good time. Definitely check out: Ventana Blue, The Clover, and Cafe Atitlan for your meals. Also Angelica's juice stall on the main calle is great!

Room Tip: Pick a room on the lake
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jennifer P

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed November 17, 2011

For 25Q / person (w/o bath), this is from far the cheapest you can get for a private room. Don't expect anything fancy : all you get is a room with 2 or 3 beds (even better if you're solo, you still get a double for 25Q), a wooden shelf and a single power outlet. However, the hotel itself is great. The shared bathrooms are cleaned twice a day, the roof offers you a beautiful view of the lake, and the old tenant is always in a good mood.

Room Tip: Avoid ground level and ask for third floor for sunny morning and the best views.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank cedricbd
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed January 19, 2009

San Pedro La Laguna has a bunch of noisy, dirty , substandard but cheap hotels catering to the stoned backpack set who are stuck in the hippy era. This is one of them. For about $14 per night and having a great lake view, I guess I shouldn't complain but I did not feel comfortable here. There is no reception office and a small child took my key when I left. During my five nights, the occupants of the next room were laid out on the walkway in front of my door playing a loud radio at all hours and smoking dope. Glass was missing from my window and it get chilly at night. The bugs come in to join the many already there. My toilet did not work and the shower was cold. During my five night stay, I never once had room service. The hotel does not provide soap but did give me toilet paper after I asked (in Spanish, no English is understood). Had I not paid in advance and had the San Pedro hotel scene not been so dismal, I would have left after the first night. Sadly, the Elena is par for the course in San Pedro La Laguna, I'm told. My friends were suffering in a similar place. We would have gladly paid $50 per night not to have the problems but didn't know of anyplace in this town. God, how I loved the hot shower when I got back to Antigua!

• Liked — Beautiful lake view
  • Disliked — poor repair, loud music late at night from various drugged guests, police raid
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these San Pedro La Laguna hotels

Boston
Reviewed August 4, 2008

We were led here straight off the boat by a guy who said he could set us up with a hotel. Our first choice was booked, and our second choice had construction work going on, so we settled for the Casa Elena.

We stayed in San Pedro for three nights, but we left Elena after one. Our room was dirty, the place had zero charm, and during our entire stay we never figured out who ran the place (I checked in and checked out with a maintenance worker in a courtyard -- no reception).

Other people had been there for several nights and seemed to like it, but we found there were lots of better places for the same money or cheaper.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank chinBoston
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 15, 2006

This place has beautiful spacious rooms with lots of windows overlooking the beautiful Lake Atitlan at very reasonable prices! Very friendly employees, private rooms, balconies and a dock on the lake for sunning and relaxing! Went for a night and stayed for 5!
A wonderful experience!

• Stayed November 2004
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Pedro La Laguna
Lomas de Tzununa
Lomas de Tzununa
#4 of 6 in Santa Cruz La Laguna
Laguna Lodge Eco-Resort & Nature Reserve
Laguna Lodge Eco-Resort & Nature...
#3 of 6 in Santa Cruz La Laguna
#11 of 17 in San Pedro La Laguna
Eco Hotel MayAchik
Eco Hotel MayAchik
#1 of 3 in San Juan la Laguna

Been to Hospedaje Casa Elena? Share your experiences!