La Iguana Perdida Hotel
La Casa Rosa Hotel(Santa Cruz La Laguna)(Great Value!)
$62
$40
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel el Arca de Noe(Santa Cruz La Laguna)(Great Value!)
$60
  • Restaurant
Casa Kaktus(Santa Cruz La Laguna)
$24
  • Breakfast included
Casa Prana Hotel in Atitlan(Santa Cruz La Laguna)
$177
Hotel Atitlan(Panajachel)
$166
$150
  • Pool
Hotel IslaVerde(Santa Cruz La Laguna)
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
All reviewsfamily styleiguana perdidaprivate roomsanta cruzopen mic nightlake atitlanscuba divingother travelersspanish lessonstrivia nightbbq nighthostel offerslocal womena great place to meetinteresting peoplecommunal dinnerother guests
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here many years in a row. The staff is always very accommodating. I wish they had WiFi. I understand why they don't but it is inconvenient. Happy hour is great and food has always been good

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed August 1, 2013

My mom came to travel with me for a week of my months long journey through Central America. Since she was with me, we were staying in private rooms. We (she) splurged and we got the deluxe room here that overlooked the water - it was amazing! The room was a bit dirty, it seemed like no one had stayed in it for quite awhile as there was dust in obvious places and spider webs strewn about.

The meals they prepare at the hostel are quite pricey for Guatemala, but they are tasty. I would prefer to do my own cooking, but there is no kitchen here and no real access to groceries outside of making a run to Pana.

I glanced inside the dorms and they seemed kind of lackluster. One of the owners (they are a married couple) wants to keep part of the hostel "rustic" and therefore refuses to put electricity in some of the rooms, dorms included, and to offer wifi. The wifi bit is inconvenient for non-planning travelers like myself.

Overall, great place to stay directly on the water. Very beautiful in the mornings!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I've stayed in hostels all over Europe, Asia, and the Americas and the Iguana has been by far my best experience. The location is breathtaking, there are literally countless activities to do every day, the staff and guests are super friendly, the rooms are a good value (I stayed on the cheap side). The food is a bit expensive but totally worth it. Dinners are family style so you get to meet everyone. Don't miss Friday trivia and Saturday cross-dressing parties. I would literally go back to Guatemala just to stay here.

Side note: this is also probably the cheapest place to learn to scuba dive. I paid $240 to get my open water certification here (that included my room) and our diving experience was pretty unique: 1500m altitude, fresh water, hot water vents, sunken houses and trees....And Oli, the instructor, is GREAT :D

Room Tip: If you can find someone to split a 2 bed room on the hostel side it's the same price as a dorm!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Lida Z
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Very friendly and welcoming hostel on the shores of Lake Atitlan. All the staff were excellent and the atmosphere and community feel about the place was exceptional. I had dinner in the hostel every night, as they cook for al the guests at once in a family style meal.
If you want to chill out and relax this hostel enables you to do that to the highest standard.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 10, 2013

This is one of my favorite places I have ever stayed while backpacking.

La Iguana Perdida certainly know what travelers like. There are many outdoor sitting areas where you can look over the lake. The multitude of outdoor and indoor seating environments gives you the opportunity for both privacy and hanging out with other travelers. The kitchen food is great, albeit a bit expensive. The bar serves all day and they have a happy hour. The family style dinners are huge! I was hesitant and was very resistant about paying about 10USD for a family style dinner. While a splurge, the meal was generous in portion, variety, and even included dessert.

They have an array of rooms/cabins to chose from: cheap rooms without electricity (under 10USD), basic rooms without bathrooms, and lovely cabins with a private shower. I stayed in a basic room with electricity without a bathroom. The room was cramped with a lake view. The window was small. The walls were no more than partitions, so you can hear everything that is happening in the room next door (um...yeah!). But for approximately $15USD, it was worth it for this beautiful property. I also revisited this location again and splurged for a $30 bungalow with private shower. The bungalow was spacious, clean, and beautiful.

A word of caution though: Keep track of your own spending. They keep a tab of your expenses there. Which means you may be shocked how much you actually spent while visiting. Each bottle of water, beer, meal, and internet usage adds up.

Room Tip: Splurge for a private bungalow.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple