All reviews retreat center yoga retreat personal retreat life changing lake atitlan group retreat yoga facilities kitchen staff magical place each meal hot tub spa treatments yoga room shaman ceremony delicious food views are stunning paradise on earth
Reviewed April 21, 2018 via mobile

Awestruck by the beauty of Lake Atitlan and the grounds of Villa Sumaya. Loved my room and the yoga studios. The staff were unfailingly attentive and the food was excellent. Only one suggestion: please upgrade the quality of your guest room towels, and change them more frequently. Thanks for a great week.

Stayed: April 2018, traveled with friends
VillaSumaya, Guest Relations Manager at Villa Sumaya, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2018

Thank you, Kathryn for taking time to write a review for us. We're so glad you loved your room, the yoga spaces, our staff and the food. We appreciate your suggestion about the towels. The reason we change them every three days is to maintain more of an eco-conscious space here, by suggesting air-drying them.

Thank you again and please come back anytime!

Reviewed April 21, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I recently spent 3 nights at villa Sumaya. I will present the good points and those needing improvement.

We requested transport from airport to hotel. The service they use is called Kan servicios turísticos. We arrived at airport and spent 15 min looking for sign. I had to borrow (well pay) to make phone call. Driver shows us finally without any water nor AC in van. The seating is extremely uncomfortable- and we are not tall people. So if you wish to use this service ask for a van with AC.

The hotel and our room (ginger 23) are in a beautiful setting with a fantastic view of the lake. Vegetarian menu was also very good.

Lady who met us at dock was far from courteous. But kitchen staff (especially Pascual) was friendly and courteous.

Hotel charges extra for WiFi.

The part which prompts me to give hotel a low rating is the fact that if you choose to pay with a credit card they charge you a 7% surcharge! They never provided my husband with the choice of paying with a USA check. I had to ask and they finally agreed it was an option. So ask!

With so many other hotels in Atitlan, I would recommend booking somewhere else.

I think the good reviews this hotel gets are from yogi groups who buy all inclusive packages. And these are paid for in advance. If you are on your own you may experiencia what we went through.

Stayed: April 2018
2  Thank RBLfamily

Thank you for taking time to write a review of our center. We do appreciate all of the lovely things you had to say about your room, the beautiful lake setting and meals.

I am sorry your transportation experience did not meet your expectations. In regards to the credit card surcharge, this is not a policy of Villa Sumaya's, but rather a policy of the credit card companies. We do always give our guests the option to pay with cash or a check.

We at Sumaya do hope you can appreciate the positive aspects of your stay with us as what you remember of your holiday.

All the best,
The Sumaya Team

Reviewed April 20, 2018 via mobile

This is amazing center for healing, held by people who really care about supporting inner exploration. The yoga meeting spaces are exquisite. The food phenomenal. The lake, pool and hot tub lovely. Our second trip, and we can't wait til next time. Thanks to all who made our stay here perfect!

Stayed: March 2018, traveled on business

Thank you, Brice for such an outstanding review of Villa Sumaya! We do our best to exceed expectations and are so glad you had such a wonderful experience here. Looking forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed April 16, 2018 via mobile

I spent one week at Villa Sumaya and enjoyed my stay immensely. The food was delicious with many vegetarian options. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. I had an awesome Aruyvedic massage using essential oils. The experience was relaxing with yoga every day in a beautiful building set into the hillside surrounded by gorgeous tropical plants.

Stayed: April 2018, traveled with friends

Thank you, Caroline for taking time to review your wonderful stay with us here at Villa Sumaya! We are so happy you felt nourished and relaxed and were able to appreciate all the beauty around you. Come back to see us again in the future!

Reviewed April 9, 2018

I was very fortunate to spend 6 nights here, with a yoga vacation group. The place feels isolated but very much accessible as there are local boats that can take you anywhere.
Our room was very large, nicely decorated with attention to details, super clean and with a beautiful deck with the view of the lake. The food was just the best, there was the vegetarian option and gluten-free as well. The staff is amazing and super sweet, always smiling.
The Sweat Lodge and the Mayan Fire Ceremonies are a must try.

Room Tip: it looks like all rooms have the view of the lake
  • Stayed: March 2018, traveled with friends

Thank you, Paola for your warm words about our center. We do our best to pay attention to details and we do feel our staff is amazing!
Please come back and enjoy again!