Villa Sumaya
La Iguana Perdida Hotel(Santa Cruz La Laguna)(Great Value!)
$20
Hotels.com
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel el Arca de Noe(Santa Cruz La Laguna)(Great Value!)
$60
  • Breakfast included
La Casa Rosa Hotel(Santa Cruz La Laguna)
  • Bar/Lounge
Casa Prana Hotel in Atitlan(Santa Cruz La Laguna)
TripAdvisor
Casa Kaktus(Santa Cruz La Laguna)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsretreat centeryoga retreatpersonal retreatchickenlife changinglake atitlangroup retreathealing artsyoga facilitiesmagical placenooks and crannieshot tubeach mealspa treatmentsyoga roombeautiful retreatspent a week
Reviewed January 12, 2014

My wife and I came to Villa Sumaya for a yoga retreat. Villa Sumaya was the perfect setting. It is nestled alongside the volcanic crater that surrounds Lake Atitlan and provides wonderful views of the lake. The staff are friendly, helpful, and very accomodating. The food -- vegetarian, with chicken and fish optional for an additional charge -- was ample and tasty. The facilities are clean, comfortable, and carefully maintained. Villa Sumaya is very self-contained and is only accessible by boat. But it is near the town of Panajachel, a busy center for Mayan crafts, fabric, and clothing. Other side excursions are easily arranged. Villa Sumaya is embedded in the steep shoreline of the lake and the stone pathways, while well-tended, are often narrow and steep -- not ideal for a person with physical infirmities. It is otherwise a gem of a resort and well worth considering if you are planning a trip to Guatemala and to Lake Atitlan.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lsapadin
Reviewed January 11, 2014

My husband and I spent a wonderful, renewing week at Villa Sumaya for a New Year's yoga retreat. The accommodations were clean, beautifully appointed and extremely comfortable. The staff was friendly, accommodating and warm. Everyone went out of their way to be helpful. And don't get me started on the food. It was delicious and plentiful. I found myself wondering about and looking forward to my next meal. I didn't realize how relaxing it could be to let go of meal selection and let someone just feed me with so much care! I loved the little nooks and crannies on the property that allowed me to curl up for a nap, with a book or the spectacular view of the lake. I can't wait to go back again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sabrina S
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Every staff member at Villa Sumaya ensures you have an amazing experience. My yoga retreat was life-changing. I felt very relaxed. All rooms face the lake, there are hammocks and a variety of places to find solitude and peace.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jodi W
Reviewed January 2, 2014

My stay at Villa Sumaya was a dream for me. I thoroughly enjoyed every single minute of staying at this gorgeous retreat center as my experience there was perfection. The staff are extremely warm, personable and very willing to help in any fashion that they can. They made my entire stay an outstanding experience and I enjoyed their welcoming grace and kindnesses so much that I was no way eager to leave when it was time to go. The location and especially the beautiful details in every room added to the comfortable ambiance, the peaceful relaxing environment and of course the delicious food that was cooked to perfection and served with a warm smile at every meal.
Villa Sumaya has much to offer both the adventurer, or one who longs for quiet serenity. I was completely and fully pleased with every aspect of staying at this beautiful resort.
Overall and in every way this retreat center is well done and one that I look forward to returning to as soon as possible.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Villa Sumaya is great value on Lake Atitlan. It is remote, only accessible by boat, and has an exceptionally good view of the volcanos towering over Lake Atitlan.

We were traveling with 4 children, ages 3, 6, 7 and 18 and found this to be a wonderul place to spend X-mas 2013.

Food was very good, though you are tied to a "family style" meal schedule. The focus is on healthy, which we appreciated, though there is definitely an infusion of local tastes and recipes. While technically, this is a yoga retreat, that should not stop a family or anyone else from staying there. Basically, yoga retreat just means that you have a great work-out area with an exceptional view of the volcanos. My wife did a private yoga class one morning, but also did yoga herself a few times. She also took advantage of a massage that she said was as good as any luxury resort we've stayed at.

Rooms were clean, well-decorated, and had great views. We swam a ton at the lake. Private boats are available on demand to get back to Panajachel or to other villages around the lake. The hike along the lakeside to Santa Cruz is a blast.

The staff are warm and friendly, especially to the kids. I would not characterize them as super-useful in terms of planning activities in the area, but that should not stop you from staying here. IF you're looking for an affordable, good value eco-lodge, Villa Sumaya rates well. The location can't be beat.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family