“A Miraclous Experience”
Review of Villa Sumaya

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Santa Cruz La Laguna
Villa Sumaya
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Just return from a 1 week yoga retreat at Villa Sumaya. Went last week of January. 17 participants.
Never been to Guatemala. I had high hopes for the trip but Villa Sumaya was fabulous beyond my expectations. It's the kind of place that is the labor of love of the person/people who run it. Every detail is done to pefection. They take care of you from the moment you land in Guatemala City. The accomodations, landscaping, site location, food, all fabulous. Vegetarian cuisine. I am not a vegetarian but I could be if I could eat food like that .
This is high season. They had many healing therapists on site that were the best I have ever experienced. Massage and all different kinds of healing techniques. Wasn't planning on doing much of that but could not let the opportunity pass. All the members of my group reported only incredibly wonderful experiences with all the different therapists.
Lake Atttillan is one of the most beautful, interesting places on earth. Can't wait to g back.

Room Tip: all rooms great, they will help you select the room that will be right for you. some are bigger, so...

Reviewed February 3, 2013

This is absolutely our favorite yoga retreat center. Warm, engaging staff, excellent food, charming accommodations, beautiful temples for yoga, and sacred Lake Atitlán with volcanoes we have come to love. A lovely, peaceful, serene space that is more heavenly each time we spend there. Consider a pilgrimage to Lake Atitlán for personal reasons or as part of a retreat. What a perfect destination. Our groups have only glowing things to say about their experience here. I look for three things in a retreat center: 1. A paradise setting 2. Sacred ground 3. Connections to the indigenous people. Villa Sumaya has all three in abundance. The healing arts are exceptional and we love that it is accessible only by boat.

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful. We love the bungalows for a even more seclusion. Lotus House, 2nd floor is...
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Villa Sumaya offers everything you need for a personal or group retreat. Lovely spaces with spectacular views from every direction. There are many diverse healing/massage services offered for very reasonable prices, and each one was excellent. The food was healthy and tasty, and the smoothies are divine. I came with a group for a yoga retreat, and the yoga spaces were terrific, each with a beautiful view of the lake and volcano.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

This is one the best run Eco-lodges in Latin America. Good rooms, food, hot tub, sauna, massages, yoga, lake swimming and views. Service was excellent. No complaints. Mostly vegetarian fare. Internet only in common area. Swimming from dock.

Room Tip: The cabins are quiet and have nice patios with view of lake.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

A wonderful place for an unplugged holiday! Yoga, delicious food and friendly staff! Amenities are full with massages, healing and indigenous activities.

The locals of the surrounding area are so beautiful and welcoming!

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Villa Sumaya is a most magical and serene retreat center and hotel. Do not miss a chance to unwind and truly allow yourself to step into Guatemala time. Delightfully beautiful environment, warm hearted and helpful staff, you will make friends for life.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I love going on yoga retreats. However, this place is unlike any place I've ever experienced. The owner Wendy is incredibly easy to find, talk to and warmly hospitable. She befriended us in the week that we stayed, and I find her to be not only an incredible conversationalist and fascinating storyteller, but a truly magical, inspirational woman. She deep heartedly loves Lake Atitlan and its people, and takes great care of her staff. They truly care for her, and consequences of this are carried throughout the grounds, in the delicious prepared food, and in the smiles and eye contact of happily employed natives to foreign visitors.

This entire facility is steeped with magic. It's like being in a dream world. Throughout the grounds you will find lovely serene pathways to meander, and secret alcoves stuffed with hidden treasures like sea shells, divine statues, flowers, etc. The facility's shop is filled with a fantastic abundance of fair-trade gifts.

I do not see myself as the most courageous woman, however, not one time in the week that I stayed here did I ever feel disconnected, afraid, or alone. I've recieved more then I imagined possible during this adventure. I never wanted to leave, and honestly, I'm already planning my trip back.
(I was there for 12-12-12, and it was so beautiful and magical I dont think explaining it I could ever do it justice. You have to go for yourself, and tell Wendy and her black cat Shiva hello.)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Lush Atitlan/Hotel Aaculaax
Lush Atitlan/Hotel Aaculaax
#1 of 3 in San Marcos La Laguna
Laguna Lodge Eco-Resort & Nature Reserve
Laguna Lodge Eco-Resort & Nature...
#3 of 5 in Santa Cruz La Laguna
#4 of 5 in Santa Cruz La Laguna
Hotel Atitlan
Hotel Atitlan
#2 of 29 in Panajachel

Been to Villa Sumaya? Share your experiences!