Me & my husband stayed at La Fortuna for 5 days. We had an unreal experience. As many people mentioned below, the views are breathtaking. We told Steve, the biggest problem we saw with La Fortuna is that the pictures don't really captivate how beautiful it really is! You have to just see it with your own eyes…
Everything mentioned by other reviewers is accurate. Service was wonderful, food was good, etc. But what really stood out for us was really how down to earth Kat and Steve were, how accessible they were and how they made the whole place feel 'homie'. We definitely didn't feel like we were just at another resort with workers doing their job. It was a way different experience when we had the actual owners waiting on us and there for us every day. We got to talk to them a lot, and they were so genuine, comforting and hospitable to us, it really felt like we were just staying at a friends place. We can just tell how much they cared and put their blood, sweat and tears into La Fortuna and our experience. Being that we spoke very little spanish and honestly didn't do as much research as we should have on the area, they really helped us out in informing us on what we should be paying for things, where to go, what to expect, rides to and from places. That really put our minds at ease and we felt completely safe.
The bungalows and the grounds were beautiful designed and every little detailed was covered. They even give you a cell phone to take with you should you need to call for any reason while you're out. This place is #1 for a reason.
Two things we enjoyed while we were there:
1) the trip to the hot springs. Its a days trip, as it is about 2 hours away by private car but if you can make it and enjoy the hot water, that was truly a great experience and the ride to the top of the volcano was something to see. Our camera didn't do it justice!
2) massage by Elaine in Santa Cruz. Very affordable and she does a great job. Got both a massage and facial. Highly recommend her.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the shores of Lake Atitlán under the San Pedro, Atitlán, and Toliman volcanoes, La Fortuna at Atitlan is tucked into the private bay of Patzisotz, only a 5 minute boat ride from Panajachel. Here you can relax in our lush jungle and gardens, and take in the view of Central America’s most spectacular lake. Hiking, kayaking, scuba diving, and exploring the indigenous villages around the lake can be organized through the resort. Come and experience the natural and cultural wonder of Lago Atitlan at La Fortuna. Suites all have stunning private garden bathrooms with huge hot tubs, as well as a cozy loft with day bed and breathtaking views of the lake. Standard bungalows have a private garden bathroom with rain shower, and queen and single beds.We have a fire heated hot tub on the front of the property and a swim up floating dock. There is free wifi on the property, as well. We can help you arrange transportation from the airport or from/to other destinations in Guatemala, Mexico, Honduras and Belize. Please note this location is NOT ideal for those individuals who have mobility issues or for small children. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- La Fortuna At Atitlan Guatemala/Lake Atitlan