“Visiting Lake Atitlan? Look no further!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Santa Cruz La Laguna
La Fortuna at Atitlan
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Jupiter, Florida
“Visiting Lake Atitlan? Look no further!!”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

If you are looking for a unique experience with views and service second to none, then La Fortuna is your place. No traditional hotel can come close in comparison to what owners Steve and Kat have built on the isolated and stunning piece of property on Atitlan. It was quite easy to travel from the dock to the villages along the lake (save your textile purchases for the weaver co-ops in San Juan, our personal favorite). The surroundings are surreal and the pace so wonderfully relaxed. I just wish I had the time to stay longer and am already planning the next visit!

Room Tip: Ask for bungalows 1 and 2 closest to lake if available (bungalows 3,4 a bit smaller but still really...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Parranha
KatharineKmack, Owner at La Fortuna at Atitlan, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Kelly thank you so much for your kind words, and glowing review (and for sending more people our way!). We are so glad that you guys enjoyed your time here and hope that you can return in the future with your husband. Thanks for choosing to spend your time at the lake with us, and thank you for taking the time to leave us such positive feed back.

Kat & Steve

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed November 21, 2013

La Fortuna is such a beautiful property. The bungalow was amazing and the bed was so big and comfy with soft sheets and fluffy comforter. It was definitely what I needed after 2 flights and 2 shuttle transfers.

Every piece of furniture was designed by Steve and made with locally sourced materials, with Bali as inspiration. The loft was so cute and altho a bit precarious to reach at times offers beautiful morning views. The outdoor tub is so relazing to soak in at night (they have candles and also an ipod dock).

Service was amazing, food outstanding. Steve and Kat were very gracious and it was nice to hear about their travels and play with their dogs. Definitely a treat to myself at the start of a 2-week backpacking trip.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Lemyn216
Thank you so much for the glowing review. We are so happy that you enjoyed your time at La Fortuna and hope that the rest of your Central American adventure was just as enjoyable. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave such positive feedback - much appreciated. We wish you the best back in SF - and hope that we may be lucky enough to have you as a guest again in the future.

New York City, New York
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Lake Atitlan is a little slice of heaven and staying at La Fortuna made it a LOT more heavenly. My bf and I stayed there for 4 nights- Where do I start! From the coal-powered hot tub to the solar powered cabins to the outdoor bathroom where you can shower under the stars-Steve and Kat have paid so much attention to detail and that's what truly makes this place divine. A big plus- Steve is a great cook, so if you're planning on lazing around- order in and your palate will than you- all the fresh produce is grown on the property, it's a real treat to pluck bananas right from the tree and taste them! At the current price, the place is a steal- We just came back this weekend and I am already dreaming of my next trip there.

1 Thank HavCo
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Lake Atitlan is a little slice of heaven and La Fortuna makes it a LOT more heavenly. I was there for four nights with my boyfriend-- Where do I start! From the coal powered hot tub overlooking the lake to the solar powered cabins- to the outdoor bathroom where you can shower under stars-the experience was just divine. Kat and Steve have paid so much attention to detail, it really shows. A BIG plus-- Steve happens to be a great cook so if you decide to stay in for your meals--your palate will thank you.- almost all the produce is grown on their property. AND all this is a steal at the current rates. Steve and Kat also have great advice for places to see and things to do around the area. I just got back from Guatemala 2 days ago and I am already dreaming of the next time I can go unwind at this amazing place.

1 Thank Havovi C
We are so glad that you guys enjoyed your time at La Fortuna. Thanks again for choosing to spend your time at the lake with us and thank you for taking the time to comment on your positive experience. We really appreciate the glowing review and hope that we are lucky enough to have you both back as guests in the near future.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 15, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 3 nights in early November. I wish we could have stayed longer. This place is stunning with creatively designed bungalows set in beautiful gardens with magnificent views over the lake. Steve and Kat were fantastic hosts, always willing to provide whatever we needed at any time and the food they served was delicious. Their knowledge of the area helped us plan our day trips and made our time in Lake Atitlan very special. This place absolutely deserves its perfect rating.

1 Thank meganej2013
Megan - we really enjoyed having you both at La Fortuna - and thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a glowing review. We are so happy that you enjoyed your time here, and we hope that we can have you guys back as recurring guests! Thanks again for choosing to spend your time at the lake with us, and for taking the time to comment on your positive experience.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 14, 2013

My first glimpse at the secluded bay - flanked by volcanoes and towering cliffs - suggested that my time at La Fortuna was going to be splendid, but it took a few hours for the experience to really sink in.

A quick hike to the viewpoint over the property and the bay took my breath way, and primed me for a dip in the lake; I spent five nights at Atitlan, and found few places to swim as pleasant as this one - bonus points for the Muskoka chairs on the dock.

The property has the feel of a well-kept secret, especially since it's nigh impossible to see your neighbors from the deck of your private bungalow. I took my morning coffee on the deck, but didn't wait long to move down to the water to watch the local fisherfolk tuck their nets under the glassy surface of the lake.

I wish I would have had more time to sample the food here; the kitchen put together one of the finest steak dinners I've had in years. Listen to Steve and Kat when they make a recommendation – they’re spot on.

I wish I would have had more time here, period; this was an excellent experience at a beautiful lakeside retreat. My bungalow was spacious, the second-floor reading room a beautifully executed idea, and the outdoor/garden restroom perfectly relaxing. By the time I went to bed I began to realize just how lucky I was to be visiting this quiet little Atitlan haven. Owners Kat and Steve have done a wonderful job of developing their property into something extraordinary, one that I hope to visit again soon.

Room Tip: Get the waterside bungalow if you can; waking up to coffee looking out over the lake is an amazingly...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank FlashParker
Thanks so much for your great review. We especially appreciate the beautiful pictures you have taken of our little piece of paradise. We loved having you as a guest, and hope that next year you can return with your wife! All the best, and thanks again for taking the time to leave us such positive feedback.

Panajachel, Guatemala
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Without a doubt the nicest lodging option on Lake Atitlan is the newish La Fortuna, one cove over from Panajachel, a five-minute boat ride. I have stayed in all of the higher–quality hotels around the lake and rate La Fortuna far above the rest. The quiet setting, views, stunning casitas, outdoor showers, food and detailed service make this the standout.
The quiet, lakeside, jungle location means you enjoy tremendous lake views without being aware that there is anyone else nearby. When I stayed recently with my girlfriend, even though they were completely booked, we only once caught a glimpse of anyone else during our stay. All of the four casitas have views of the lake and volcanoes and are carefully tucked into the tropical vegetation making sure each is located in its own private clearing. The wood-fired hot tub (extremely hot if you like) overlooks the lake and volcanoes. Bar service is discretely available.
The casitas are awesome works of art furnished with handmade chairs, tables and four-poster, mosquito net-draped beds with top-quality mattresses and bedclothes. Beautiful natural woods, bamboo and woven straw mats are neatly and creatively put together to make the most interesting and artistic place to stay I have experienced in Central America. The owners traveled extensively around the world and incorporated the coolest things they saw on their travels into La Fortuna. I keep coming back to the word “artistic” to describe the casitas – they are works of art in themselves with every corner, light switch, awnings, windows and hand-carved furnishings built from beautiful local woods, have creative details difficult even for this jaded travel writer to describe. I spent hours just walking around our casita marveling at the attention to detail in every corner. It was like staying in a museum of fancy tropical woodworking.
The outdoor shower in our casita has scalding hot water if you like it to be and is surrounded by tropical vegetation and bamboo fencing. Hummingbirds were flitting about while we indulged in romantic activities.
We arrived expecting to go to meals with the other guests but found all our drinks, meals, and snacks were brought right to us in our casita with a smile. The food is every bit as good as the rest of La Fortuna. We had beef bourguignon with mash and green salad with a bottle of excellent red at regular restaurant prices that certainly did not reflect the fact that it is all hand carried down a jungle path and served with care and arrives hot, hot, hot! When coffee from the land around us was brought in the morning the cups were already heated – a very nice, thoughtful touch. Breakfast fruit included red and black raspberries picked early that morning from vines in front of our casita. Very cool!
The owners plan to build a reception/lounge/restaurant building in the immediate future and probably a couple more casitas but the land is large enough and heavily jungled enough to keep everything well hidden and private. Although they have only been in operation a year or so, the high-quality food, casitas and great service mean they are almost completely booked for months in advance. We had to wait for a cancellation to get in. I have spent years as a travel writer and, very honestly, can say this is one of the very nicest eco/jungle/romantic places I have stayed.
www.lafortunaatitlan.com, 502-5203-1033 Guatemala, 416-709-1878 US/Canada

4 Thank Groucho123
We can't thank you enough for the glowing review - we think your review is a work of art ;) We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated all the little details. Can't wait to see you guys again!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Santa Cruz La Laguna
Laguna Lodge Eco-Resort & Nature Reserve
Laguna Lodge Eco-Resort & Nature...
#3 of 6 in Santa Cruz La Laguna
#6 of 29 in Panajachel
Casa Palopo
Casa Palopo
#1 of 3 in Santa Catarina Palopo

Been to La Fortuna at Atitlan? Share your experiences!