“Rustic Elegance in a Tranquil Setting”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Santa Cruz La Laguna
La Fortuna at Atitlan
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Toronto, Canada
“Rustic Elegance in a Tranquil Setting”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

My first glimpse at the secluded bay - flanked by volcanoes and towering cliffs - suggested that my time at La Fortuna was going to be splendid, but it took a few hours for the experience to really sink in.

A quick hike to the viewpoint over the property and the bay took my breath way, and primed me for a dip in the lake; I spent five nights at Atitlan, and found few places to swim as pleasant as this one - bonus points for the Muskoka chairs on the dock.

The property has the feel of a well-kept secret, especially since it's nigh impossible to see your neighbors from the deck of your private bungalow. I took my morning coffee on the deck, but didn't wait long to move down to the water to watch the local fisherfolk tuck their nets under the glassy surface of the lake.

I wish I would have had more time to sample the food here; the kitchen put together one of the finest steak dinners I've had in years. Listen to Steve and Kat when they make a recommendation – they’re spot on.

I wish I would have had more time here, period; this was an excellent experience at a beautiful lakeside retreat. My bungalow was spacious, the second-floor reading room a beautifully executed idea, and the outdoor/garden restroom perfectly relaxing. By the time I went to bed I began to realize just how lucky I was to be visiting this quiet little Atitlan haven. Owners Kat and Steve have done a wonderful job of developing their property into something extraordinary, one that I hope to visit again soon.

Room Tip: Get the waterside bungalow if you can; waking up to coffee looking out over the lake is an amazingly...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank FlashParker
KatharineKmack, Owner at La Fortuna at Atitlan, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Thanks so much for your great review. We especially appreciate the beautiful pictures you have taken of our little piece of paradise. We loved having you as a guest, and hope that next year you can return with your wife! All the best, and thanks again for taking the time to leave us such positive feedback.

Kat & Steve

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Panajachel, Guatemala
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Without a doubt the nicest lodging option on Lake Atitlan is the newish La Fortuna, one cove over from Panajachel, a five-minute boat ride. I have stayed in all of the higher–quality hotels around the lake and rate La Fortuna far above the rest. The quiet setting, views, stunning casitas, outdoor showers, food and detailed service make this the standout.
The quiet, lakeside, jungle location means you enjoy tremendous lake views without being aware that there is anyone else nearby. When I stayed recently with my girlfriend, even though they were completely booked, we only once caught a glimpse of anyone else during our stay. All of the four casitas have views of the lake and volcanoes and are carefully tucked into the tropical vegetation making sure each is located in its own private clearing. The wood-fired hot tub (extremely hot if you like) overlooks the lake and volcanoes. Bar service is discretely available.
The casitas are awesome works of art furnished with handmade chairs, tables and four-poster, mosquito net-draped beds with top-quality mattresses and bedclothes. Beautiful natural woods, bamboo and woven straw mats are neatly and creatively put together to make the most interesting and artistic place to stay I have experienced in Central America. The owners traveled extensively around the world and incorporated the coolest things they saw on their travels into La Fortuna. I keep coming back to the word “artistic” to describe the casitas – they are works of art in themselves with every corner, light switch, awnings, windows and hand-carved furnishings built from beautiful local woods, have creative details difficult even for this jaded travel writer to describe. I spent hours just walking around our casita marveling at the attention to detail in every corner. It was like staying in a museum of fancy tropical woodworking.
The outdoor shower in our casita has scalding hot water if you like it to be and is surrounded by tropical vegetation and bamboo fencing. Hummingbirds were flitting about while we indulged in romantic activities.
We arrived expecting to go to meals with the other guests but found all our drinks, meals, and snacks were brought right to us in our casita with a smile. The food is every bit as good as the rest of La Fortuna. We had beef bourguignon with mash and green salad with a bottle of excellent red at regular restaurant prices that certainly did not reflect the fact that it is all hand carried down a jungle path and served with care and arrives hot, hot, hot! When coffee from the land around us was brought in the morning the cups were already heated – a very nice, thoughtful touch. Breakfast fruit included red and black raspberries picked early that morning from vines in front of our casita. Very cool!
The owners plan to build a reception/lounge/restaurant building in the immediate future and probably a couple more casitas but the land is large enough and heavily jungled enough to keep everything well hidden and private. Although they have only been in operation a year or so, the high-quality food, casitas and great service mean they are almost completely booked for months in advance. We had to wait for a cancellation to get in. I have spent years as a travel writer and, very honestly, can say this is one of the very nicest eco/jungle/romantic places I have stayed.
www.lafortunaatitlan.com, 502-5203-1033 Guatemala, 416-709-1878 US/Canada

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Groucho123
We can't thank you enough for the glowing review - we think your review is a work of art ;) We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated all the little details. Can't wait to see you guys again!
San Jose, California
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Our family--mom, dad, and three daughters--enjoyed three wonderful nights at La Fortuna in July of 2013. We treated ourselves to two bungalows--one for us and one for our girls. The attention to detail, from the architecture and design of the bungalows (using all Guatemalan building materials--bamboo, hardwoods, etc.) to the meals, was fantastic. Steve and Kat have put all their love and creativity into this property and you feel and appreciate while you are there. It's great for all ages--our 4-year-old had plenty of play space on the waterfront lawn areas. Kat and Steve gave us very detailed instructions on how to reach them--just say clearly to the boat captain "Pat-Chi-Sotz" and they'll know where to go. It's a safe, very private and beautiful piece of property--enjoy!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Liana M
Stevekmack, Owner at La Fortuna at Atitlan, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Liana and Family-
We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay. Wishing you and your lovely family well,
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I am living and teaching for a year in Guatemala and, when my cousin decided to come and visit for a week, I decided a getaway to Lake Atitlan was a good idea. I found La Fortuna on homeaway.com and it was absolutely the perfect place for us. Picturesque (this is one resort that actually is more beautiful in person than in the pictures - and the pictures are breathtaking!), tranquil, elegant feel with incredible personalized service. Katherine and Steve were helpful on every step of our trip from offering to arrange a shuttle, to storing our backpacks in Pana, to providing a private boat taxi to planning how best to spend our limited time at the lake. Breakfast and dinner were served on our porch and our room was kept tidy and comfortable. The snuggly, down comforter was warm and welcoming on the chilly evenings. We had a wonderful time and I have already recommended this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tami B
T-
It was such a pleasure to have you stay at La Fortuna. We hope you have an amazing year in Guatemala and come back to see us anytime!
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed November 4, 2013

It can be a bit overwhelming leaving Panajachel in the evening to get there, as some of the boat captains were not aware of where to go, but upon arriving, it felt like paradise. The best choices are the large cabins. They offer a decent amount of space and wonderful views of the lake. The smaller ones are nice and rustic as well but are a bit tight. Steve and Kat were very nice, accommodating and helpful in planning our time around Lake Atitlan. It was overall a fantastic stay and we recommend it highly.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AJ K
Thank you for your review. Happy Travels,
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2013

My wife & I were married back in August and as part of our honeymoon we stayed in the lakeside suite for four nights.

Of all the places we stayed while we were away, La Fortuna is the one that keeps coming back to me. It's the one I show people pictures of when they ask and, without exception, they all say 'wow'. Even now I struggle to find the words to describe how beautiful everything is.

I'll never forget waking up early on the first morning there and, not being able to sleep, went for a walk and watched the sun come up over the lake and volcano. One of the most serene and simultaneously epic sights I've ever seen. Likewise, sitting on the porch in the evenings, eating the delicious food and watching the spectacular lightning displays on the far side of the lake, is something that will stay with me for a long time.

Steve was the perfect host, nothing was too much trouble; he was helpful, informative and he makes a good cocktail too.

We were proud and honoured (and possibly a little nervous) to be the first guests to try the hot tub!

Looking forward to visiting again sometime. Hopefully by then Steve will have built his reception/bar, complete with Maximon shrine...

Thanks again Steve & Kat for giving us the perfect start to our honeymoon.

Ben & Alice

p.s. I really miss Sasha!

Room Tip: All the rooms are good, but stay by the lake if you have the choice. The view will take your breath...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ben W
B-
So glad you joined us for your honeymoon. We are working on the reception now, hopefully to include a Maximon shrine...
All the best,
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed October 25, 2013

We spent 4 nights at La Fortuna in September. perfect place for relaxing away from the crowds. amazing view of the lake and the volcano. reasonably priced. Kat and Steve are perfect hosts. do not miss Steve's cooking.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amir_TLV
Stevekmack, Owner at La Fortuna at Atitlan, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Hi Amir-

Great to hear from you and glad you left relaxed. All the best from this side of the globe to the other. Saludos!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Santa Cruz La Laguna
Laguna Lodge Eco-Resort & Nature Reserve
Laguna Lodge Eco-Resort & Nature...
#3 of 6 in Santa Cruz La Laguna
#6 of 29 in Panajachel
Casa Palopo
Casa Palopo
#1 of 3 in Santa Catarina Palopo

Been to La Fortuna at Atitlan? Share your experiences!