“Excellent teaching, stunning location”

Santa Cruz Spanish School
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Since 2006. The school is located at Our Hotel Arca de Noe - 1 minute away from the main public dock in Santa Cruz la Laguna. Our teachers are highly qualified and flexible. Students can share different experiences with other teachers! It is possible. Our courses are individually or in a small group designed for everyone. All materials provided by the school are free. Our school includes free WIFI and a great place for coffee or just relax. Though we offer structure, we are always ready to accommodate student's particular needs and desires. Our teachers are ready to help if a student feels the need to spend more time on any phase of the learning process...
London
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Excellent teaching, stunning location”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I did 2 weeks of spanish lessons at the Santa Cruz Spanish School in August and I would highly recommend it. Pedro who arranges everything is incredibly well organised, flexible and friendly. My teacher was excellent and tailored each lesson to my specific requirements. It was much better value for money than the schools in San Pedro and as it is smaller,much more personalised. The location is stunning - learning spanish in a beautiful garden overlooking the lake couldn't be better. The Arca de Noe Hotel where the school is based is a nice, simple hotel with good food and very friendly staff. I visited many places on Lake Atitlan and Santa Cruz is definitely my favourite place. I highly recommend Santa Cruz Spanish School.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Molly42rc

Monterey, California, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great location, wonderful staff!”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I took a week of Spanish classes here in July. The "classroom" is a beautiful garden on the shore of the lake where you can learn while seeing volcanoes in the background. The one-on-one instruction is great and is a good value for your money. The staff is very accomodating and will try to help you with anything you need. They have great advice on tours at Lake Atitlan as well as other areas of Guatemala, and they can book tours/shuttles for you at a good price. I definitely recommend the homestay as I lived with a wonderful family in the Mayan village on the hill. I really felt as if they incorporated me into their family, which helped me learn a lot about the culture and the people.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Hillary724
San Jose, Costa Rica
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Best Deal in Central America”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

My wife and I spend a Month with the school in a homestay. The family was amazing and classes are fun in great garden with lots of birds. Perdo is the kindest person, always excited to give information. He and his brothers share the same charme and offer great tours with lots of information about the surrounding. Part of the School were free speeches about culture, the Mayan calender or whatever interest you the most. We lost our creditcard and some money, and he helped us to get everything back, even though we were already in El Salvador.

Outstanding place with incredible affordable prices.

Julia & Louis

Visited December 2012
2 Thank Julia S
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great teaching, staff, and location”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband and I took one week of classes at this school while staying in the adjacent Arca de Noe hotel. We had a great experience! I was an intermediate Spanish speaker and he was a beginner; each of us had one-on-one instruction appropriate to our level and improved significantly over the course of the week. Our teachers were fun, helpful and easygoing; we felt like we became friends with them. Both of them were women from nearby towns across the lake, and classes went back and forth between practicing grammar and practicing conversation. The teachers did a good job of talking about local culture and their experiences growing up here, so they became a major cultural connection for us as well. At the suggestion of the staff at the Spanish school, we also went to the market at Solola for one of our days of "class," which turned out to be the highlight of our time in Guatemala.

The classes were taught on a lawn that overlooks the lake, a very peaceful, inspiring setting to spend several hours a day! We did get pestered sometimes by bugs, little black flies that bit our feet and legs if we left them exposed...but with bug cream or socks and shoes, they weren't bad (and the weather was cool enough that socks and shoes were fine). Overall, taking classes at this school was a wonderful experience that we plan to repeat if we return to the area.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Katie S
Worldwide
“Best location at Lago de Atitlan”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Santa Cruz Spanish School, located at the most beautiful spot on Lake Atitlan, is a fantastic place to learn Spanish. Me and my husband spent one week at the school with homestay and recieved 5 hours a day for 5 days a week. We were living in a homestay that the school organized for us. It was a wonderful experience and the family was very friendly and we felt like home!
Thank you Pedro and your family for the wonderful time staying in Santa Cruz..
Salud
Sabrina

Visited April 2013
Toursatitlan, General Manager at Santa Cruz Spanish School, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Sabrina,

We are very glad to hear from experience at our school! It was really nice to have had you both here at our school and wish you will come back one day again! have a great trip!

Kindly regards,