“Romantic, tranquil, beautiful rooms & property”

and 1 more site!
Laguna Lodge Eco-Resort & Nature Reserve
Reviewed January 1, 2011

I found this lodge randomly on Google.com. My husband & I wanted to relax for a night before going back to Guatemala City from Antigua. We decided to stay here instead of Panajachel. The pictures & reviews of this place were wonderful. So I did the initial contact with Juan Manuel (the manager) He's very prompt and easy to work with. We exchanged some emails, he sent me the Paypal link for the payment (prepare to pay in advance as soon as possible. This place is quite popular, if you don't put down a deposit/pay the room when it's due, they'll give it to other folks, which is fair). Juan Manuel confirmed via email that we are booked. So we took a shared shuttle from Antigua to Tzanjuyu dock in Panajachel (easy to find). Call Laguna Lodge 10 min before arriving so they can send a boat to pick you up. The pick up/drop off service is free. It took about 15 minutes of wonderful boat ride to get to the lodge. It's a beautiful property. The view of the mountains & the lake was heavenly. The room, the jacuzzi, the palapa, sun bathing deck, etc are so beautiful. They food is vegetarian only, but delicious. We had a nice hike at the reserve to watch the sunset, and had a candle light dinner that night. What a wonderful stay. The next morning we went back to Guatemala City with a great memory of Lake Atitlan. We will come back again but next time we'll be staying more than 1 night. One important thing, the staff at this place was so great, polite and helpful. We met the owners too. Wonderful people.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank siska39SanFrancisco

Reviewed December 12, 2010

I read about Laguna Lodge in GQ Magazine and booked three nights there before a month-long stay in Anitgua. From the moment we set foot on the dock and were greeted by Juan Manuel, hotel manager extraordinaire, we were treated like royalty. The location of the lodge and the lodge itself are exquisite. The rooms were capacious and beautifully appointed; the bathroom was huge and luxurious. Then we had our first dinner! It had been our intention to eat at the Lodge only one night and then spend the rest of the time sampling other restaurants. But that was before we tasted the food. Laguna Lodge has an all organic, all vegetarian menu. And although none of us are vegetarian, all of us are foodies and we know good food when we taste it: we ate there every night. The food was unfailingly delicious -- creative, flavorful, and well-presented (AMAZING soups and a banana dessert I am still dreaming of...). We drank margaritas every night before dinner, and the Lodge's selection of wines was impressive as well.

Be sure to hike the trails of the stunning nature reserve. Linger and swing on a hammock at the palapa and you'll never want to leave. On our third day we met Mayah and Jeffro, the owners of the Lodge. They were lovely: upbeat and committed to giving their guests both an eco-experience and a luxury hotel experience: they succeed beyond measure. I could go on and on about this splendid hotel, but words fail me. Just do yourself a favor and check it out. It was an unforgettably first-rate experience, and we can't wait to go back -- for a full week next time -- with friends in tow.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PHDSW
Reviewed December 6, 2010

"I felt like a king." Never before have I experienced such attentive service. The food was fantastic, organic and pure. Bedroom and bed, and overall, comfort, were beyond expectations. The Lodge itself is stunning with a warm ambient cozy feel. There's a lot to do, whether it be cliff jumping, strolling the near by villages or climbing one of the two volcanoes that looms over Lake Attitlan, time for leisure aint the only pleasure this resort offers.
Take it in, because it's absolutely beautiful.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank LivefromVancity
Reviewed November 29, 2010

Staying at this hotel was a magnificent experience. The service was as good or better than any 5 Star hotel I've stayed at. Just a small example - we were checking out at 8:30 in the morning and our beds were made while we ate breakfast. The staff were delightful. They didn't speak much English, so they often had to get the manager, Juan Manuel, to attend to our needs. I don't think we ever waited more than three minutes for him to show up.
The rooms are beautiful with spectacular views. You can even see the lake from the bathroom through a cleverly designed window - you can see out, but no one can see in. When I wasn't in the room, I was in the comfortable living room with sofas and big screen TV or lying in the hammock in a hidden spot at the top of the hotel. I enjoyed my morning coffee on a deck overlooking the lake.
I traveled with the 19 year old son of a friend of mine and there was plenty to do for both of us. The owner took him out cliff diving and the manager went along to take some great photos he could share with friends. We swam, sat in the hot tub and visited some of the local towns along the lake. The food was excellent and we chose to stay at the hotel for the four course dinner every night.
If I had it to do over, I would spend more time on the hotel's nature trails and skip attempting to hike the volcano. It took up most of the day and even though I'm an ardent hiker, it was too tough for me. My young companion completed the hike, but said he had never been so sore in his life. It got chilly at night and I wished I had taken sweat pants and a heavier sweater for lounging. All in all, the lodge was by far the highlight of our trip to Guatemala.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank LeighScottsdale
Reviewed November 2, 2010

Beautiful views and rooms, the food is magnificent, it's a warm felling of relaxation on a vacation.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Words cannot describe the beauty of this eco-friendly lodge. Our stay at Laguna Lodge was absolutely magical. The views are breathtaking and the memories will stay with us for many many months. We are already planning our next trip.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 10, 2010

The hotel is in an amazing location - every area of the hotel looks out onto the volcanoes. The staff was extremely friendly and wonderful! The organic vegetarian food was fresh, home grown and amazing! Definitely will return as soon as I can!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
#6 of 29 in Panajachel
Kaalpul Atitlan Eco Hotel & Spa
Kaalpul Atitlan Eco Hotel & Spa
#31 of 55 in Lake Atitlan

Been to Laguna Lodge Eco-Resort & Nature Reserve? Share your experiences!