“Beautiful, peaceful and excellent service”

Laguna Lodge Eco-Resort & Nature Reserve
Reviewed June 13, 2014

This hotel is amazing! The beauty surrounding it can be seen since you are approaching it from Lake Atitlan (boat). It's surrounded by lush vegetation, the volcanoes and, of course, by Lake Atitlán. The food is superb (for dinner I had the best eggplant I've tasted in my life), the amenities are great and the staff is uber friendly and accommodating. It was a pleasure to stay at Laguna Lodge. I wish I could have done it for more days, but I'm pretty sure I will return soon and enjoy more of this paradise.

Ideal for couples or for a friends gathering.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lorena V

Reviewed June 11, 2014

Laguna Lodge was truly breath taking in every way. The view is amazing, the staff is very helpful and friendly. I have never slept so good in a bed that wasn't my own! The lodge is very peaceful and relaxing. The food is excellent. I am not a vegetarian, but I did not miss meat at all. There is so much to do in all the surrounding towns around the lake, from horse back riding, hiking, zip lining, canoeing, shopping, or just relaxing in the hammock.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Quetzal suite. Amazing room with an amazing view and the bed was so comfortable!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

First timers in Guatemala and we left with a positive image of the country.... a lot of it having to do with our excellent experience at Laguna Lodge. We are English speaking only, and were concerned that the language barrier would make our stay difficult. We arrived at Laguna Lodge and not only does the entire staff understand and speak English, but we found most locals did.... at least enough for us to get by (ie. Public boat drivers, taxis, tuk tuk drivers, shop owners, etc.). The Laguna Lodge is pricey, and I have read other reviewers saying the same....... BUT, I didn't mind paying upscale prices at all because Laguna Lodge is a luxurious place to stay. Also, the Lodge is very involved in giving back to the Lake Atitlan community through hosting medical community days (ie. American dentists and doctors providing on site medical care to the Indigenous people of Lake Atitlan at no cost). So if you stay here, have comfort in knowing that your dollars are used by the owners to help those locals who are so less fortunate!! The staff is over accomodating, and friendly is an understatement. I was very appreciative of both!! They also helped with recommending things to do, which towns to visit, where to buy the good stuff, etc. We used the public transportation around the lake because it was foreign traveler friendly and much cheaper than Laguna Lodge's private boat. As for the rooms themselves, they are very clean and well kept. You cannot beat the view from your porch! And be sure to take a look around while you are being transported around the lake; the backdrops and views are breath taking.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mokaswirl
Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the Jaguar room (3rd floor/level) and the view was incredible! You can even see the view from your bathroom!

Although a bit bland at times, the food was all organic and the options were great. French toast for breakfast is a must and the banana dessert was also phenomenal! The coffee is like none other!! I like my coffee black and this (French pressed) coffee was to die for!

There are many trails to hike around the property and several villages to check out. I would suggest taking a shared boat as it's cheaper and you have a higher chance of meeting people that can provide helpful info about the area. We actually ran into some people we met on the plane while riding on a shared boat!

The property is always clean and the staff is helpful. Benjamin waited on us most of the time and he was a very kind young man.

Everything is made from scratch (everywhere) so don't expect to eat right away. Get to your restaurant before your tummy starts growling so that you can order your food and enjoy a drink while you wait.

All in all, it was well worth the trip and was one of the best vacations we have been on, to date!

Please take a moment to enjoy our experience by watching the video of our trip. There are several shots of Laguna Lodge peppered throughout the video!

Enjoy!!

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Boyd H
Reviewed June 7, 2014

I honestly didn't even know places like this existed. Being a lover of traveling, and sustainability, the two don't always overlap. Knowing that I could trust the food, the products being used, and really everything was so dreamy! Feeling good karma, and a good vacation at the same time! A total paradise in paradise. The rooms were gorgeous, charming, large, with incredible views of the volcanos. The staff was very accommodating and sweet. The food was outrageously amazing. We had the opportunity to meet the owners which was a real surprise and treat. We totally fell in love with them, and their persistent morals to give back to the earth in STYLE. This place is FNCY with a touch of earthy goodness. A must visit!
We will go back many many many times!

Room Tip: Any room seemed amazing! Maybe avoid the upstairs back room- I;m not sure if there are views there...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lila R
Reviewed May 31, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights in the Monja Blanca Suite.
Pros: The room is lovely and cozy, with a private patio. Shower is great with hot water and nice setting. Staff (especially Benjamin) are friendly and eager to accommodate. Great movie room with DVDs. Breakfast is good and included in the rate.
Cons: Food, especially dinner, is way overpriced. I did not touch the main course, because I didn't like it, but no one asked me why, or if I would like a replacement.
Bedspread is also the comforter, which doesn't give a clean feeling (ours came with some stains). Lights in the room are very dim, making it difficult to see. Pool looks totally uninviting with murky green water and floating bugs on the surface. Housekeeping was sloppy (mirrors weren't even wiped down). For the rates charged we expected higher attention to detail; for example the candle outside was never replaced, when they brought wine to the room they didn't bring any glasses, when they brought us hot water for tea they only brought one glass (although we were two people), and towels weren't replenished until we asked. And these are just a few examples...
To top our experience off, on the day of departure, I was promised to be waken up with coffee and fruit plate to the room, it never arrived!!!
The manager woke up when I was boarding the boat, and ran towards me with the bill to be signed. No apology offered!!!
Overall, for the high rates charged, we expected a more attentive and professional service, which in reality felt amateur. The views are definitely beautiful and the setting on the lake is very nice. Nevertheless, we expected a boutique hotel but it felt more like a wannabe. Choose another place on the lake!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
7  Thank Ruraam
Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

Laguna Lodge is a beautiful escape set nicely on the water front of Lake Atitlán. The rooms open up to a balcony that have a wonderful view of the lake and the volcanos!!! . It really is geared towards people who want to relax and just "chill" without doing a whole lot ( if you want a bit more excitement - just wave to any boat that is passing and they will stop on the dock and pick you up ) during the days we went to the other villages and then returned in the evening . There is a TV in the common area but I never saw it turned on. Staff were polite and friendly. Overall- great time.

• Stayed: May 2014
8 mi away
Hotel Toliman
Hotel Toliman
#1 of 1 in San Lucas Toliman

Been to Laguna Lodge Eco-Resort & Nature Reserve? Share your experiences!