“Great three nights in a fantastic location! Go and see it yourself. ”

La Casa del Mundo Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Jaibalito
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

We spent 3 nights at this hotel during our honeymoon.

The place is really nice, built in the mountain, facing the lake and the volcano.

During our stay we couldn't appreciate the views because there was a tropical system affecting the area and we just got rain and rain and more rain. Even though the weather conditions were poor, we have to leave a positive review of the place because it is really beautiful and we enjoyed a few days of relaxing and really nice food.

Every room is secluded in one diferent spot and you have to reach it through the stairs. Some of them are a little bit of a hike but the staff are there to help you out with the bags.
Once you are in the room the views have to be amazing. We couldn't see them due to the amount of clouds but all the rooms are so well located that all of them can enjoy a nice view in a clear day.
We stayed in room 10 which has beautiful decoration, it is really private and it feels like a tree house. We moved to room 8 after and it was beautiful too, having a small balcony overlooking the lake. This one shares the bathroom but it is as nice as the other ones, so not such a big deal.

Finally I would like to mention the food. It was really tasty and with great proportions. Breakfast was delicious every day and the four course set dinner was really good value. All the prices are correct and they justify the value of the meal. You don't feel like one of those hotels where they charge you a huge price because it's difficult to get to other restaurants. Here you need to take a boat to eat somewhere else, but they don't take advantage of this and that's a thing we like about them and we thought we should mention it.

The only thing we didn't like 100% is the way they set up dinner. We were on a honeymoon trip and we would have enjoyed having a table for two rather than sharing dinner with everyone every night . Even though all the people we met there were really nice.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

We could have payed more and still been satisfied. Some of the rooms do not have bathrooms in the room. The views are great, especially from room 1. The hotel is spread out, room 12 is a hike. You must reserve the hot tube! It is an extra cost but well worth it! It's heated with a wood burning stove and they replace the water every night. Also, Gasper, one of the staff was so amazing, he made our stay!
It is a bit far from any city, feels like an all inclusive resort. Amazing views! Stay here!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 16, 2014

I stayed the weekend of June 5 at La Casa del Mundo at a friend's insistence and was very, very glad that I did. My room (# 19 - I think) was perfect: cozy with a double bed, terrific views straight over the lake out my window and my patio doors, as well as off of the patio. The hotel, aesthetically, had a very "Positano -ish" feel to it, the way it was lovingly built into the "cliffs" with such wonderful gardens and views. Arriving on the boat dock was easy; I was on a private boat and there was someone at the dock to meet me and carry my luggage up the steep stairs. Dinner was f-a-b-u-l-o-u-s!!! Not what I expected to be eating on Lake Atitlan in Guatemala, but truly delicious. All of the diners sat at a table together at 6:30 for dinner; half of the fun was meeting new travelers. After dinner, a bunch of us spent quite a while lounging in the Jacuzzi with intermittent dips in the crisp, cool waters of the lake - what a blast! The location here is perfect for visiting the various pueblos around the lake. A few minutes down the path you can rent kayaks at Kayak Guatemala and I think you can even get a massage near the water there as well. Breakfast was wonderful and made to order! Please note that although you can leave a credit card for reservation, you actually must pay in cash....no big deal, just be aware. What a wonderful place - please do stay here, you will not be sorry......wear your "up the stairs" shoes ;-). I highly recommend this hotel and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed June 4, 2014

This is a wonderful hotel, so beautiful and just gorgeous! Where to start....well our room was #15, very good view of the Lake, volacano and ok-sized (a little cosy!), but we had a long private balcony. Food - loved the generous sized breakfasts available and the family-style dinners, a fantastic way to meet fellow travellers. Service - staff were great, really attentive and catered for all our needs. We spent 3 nights here and climbed San Pedro volcano (with Tornado Excursions - good competitive price), had a Lake Tour (via San Nicolas Travels), and had a day trip to Chichi. A great place to base yourself at, really stunning, and would highly recommend it. You need to be pretty fit to climb all the stairs. The boats to and from other towns on the lake are fairly frequent and always fun squeezing in with locals. I'd recommend heading to Club Ven Aca during the day for a spot of lunch, a few cocktails and to use their hot tubs - very cool place!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 3, 2014

During this trip I stayed at both Isla Verde and Casa del Mundo due to the availability of each. They are about a 15 minute walk from each other, though not visible to each other. The combination was perfect for me as a solo traveler:

Isla Verde is a place I imagine going back to with my brother and sister. Lots of hammock and lounge areas, a very island-chill vibe, wonderful fresh food overlooking the water. I stayed in one of the apartments, and while it was beautifully decorated (fabrics, carved wood, outdoor porch with day bed, hanging orchids and hummingbirds, great view), it was very noisy, being located right on the walkway that everyone took to their tukuls at night.

Casa del Mundo was one of the more unique places I've stayed in all my travels. It caters to an older crowd--average age when I was there was maybe 50 years old. The food was good, especially breakfast, and the family-style dinner made for some interesting conversation. Being even only slightly higher up than Isla Verde in elevation was like being in a whole new world-verdent pine tress, beautiful smells, and supremely incredible views. There was a larger variety of "relaxation spots" to explore here. The drawback for some might be that it is an incredibly steep/long walk from the water. If you are not fit or have mobility problems a different option might be best.

I would happily stay at either place again, though at Isla Verde choosing a slightly removed tukul.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed May 31, 2014

I've noticed someone put a 'fake' review that negatively impacts La Casa Del Mundo on TripAdvisor. First of all I've stayed here many times, and continue to do so. The hotel will accept credit cards if you contact Ivan (the owner) and make arrangements but the hotel prefers cash like most hotels due that its simpler to handle and easier process. Staff including owner Ivan will give anyone information where to go and see on Lake Atitlan, they will make all the arrangements too. Furniture is beautifully accommodating, and concierge and staff is the very best anywhere in Guatemala. What's really EXCELLENT is that in the evenings they have communal dinners whereby you sit at a table with other hotel guests, share your experiences, get to meet people from around the world. If you're looking for a well operated hotel, run by staff and people who care about your stay, which offer superior service, and rooms with the best view in the world you will want to stay at La Casa Del Mundo.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 25, 2014

A unique hotel with a great staff. The grounds and rooms are beautiful and the views of the lake and volcanos are amazing. Note on getting there: When you arrive in Pana, go to the dock and take a public water taxi. Ask to be dropped at casa del mundo. It shouldn't cost more than 25Q.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jaibalito
Lush Atitlan/Hotel Aaculaax
Hotel Regis Panajachel
Hotel Regis Panajachel
#5 of 29 in Panajachel
Laguna Lodge Eco-Resort & Nature Reserve
Laguna Lodge Eco-Resort & Nature...
#3 of 5 in Santa Cruz La Laguna

Been to La Casa del Mundo Hotel? Share your experiences!