“Spectacular, mystical”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle, Washington
“Spectacular, mystical”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Stayed at this wonderful hotel a few years ago after several recommendations from Peace Corps friends living in the area. This was a fantastic and peaceful retreat after a long summer of working in Guatemala. Though the sun never came out during my 4-day stay, it was still such a magical place. (I did wake up before dawn one day in the hopes of seeing the sun rise over the lake and volcanoes but only caught a glimpse of sunlight. Still pretty amazing and something I'd recommend especially if you are visiting outside of rainy season!)

The food was excellent and I really enjoyed the communal dining. The rooms were simple but clean and comfortable. I loved being able to swing around in the hammocks and explore the multiple terraces of the property. Unfortunately it was too cold to swim when I was there but it was certainly tempting. All in all I would highly recommend this place - in all my travels this ranks among the best accommodations I've experienced.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hbeck09

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Casa del Mundo is perched up above Lake Atitlan. The property is beautiful!! The view is incredible! I wish we could have stayed longer. We enjoyed a community style dinner with other guests. The rooms all seem to have great views. The rooms are certainly not deluxe, but comfy.
Reserving the hot tub for an after dinner soak is a must.
Also, ask about hiring a boat to take you to the area where you can leap off a deck into the lake below. Our family loved doing this.
Getting to the hotel was definitely a challenge. We drove all around Guatemala. The road we took to get there was so bumpy and narrow, but the scenery and culture along the way was fun. By the time we go there though, I was ready to not drive again for a while! You can only get to the hotel by a boat. Look into all of the details before you go.

2 Thank d22randy
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed January 4, 2014

There is so much good to say about this hotel I have to make a list so I don't ramble!
1. The swimming. You cant always swim safely and cleanly in the lake, but you can here. Even at Christmas, my pisces husband was in the water 5 times a day. Children and elderly people also jumped in. Great family fun.
2. The food. Unbelievable food. Amazing soups (coconut curry) and lovely lasagna with tons of fresh veggies. We were there for 4 days and never got tired of the menu. Family style dinners were super and fun with lots of courses. One night we had free tropical sangria! A nice touch. Clean clean clean.
3. Room 10 - cozy and comfy and very private. Tiny bathroom but this is not the Hilton.
4. The owner - took time to get to know everyone, completely committed to environmental responsibility. He pays for his employees to take classes and trains them to anticipate the needs of travelers. He was there every day, works on the building himself and his wife was also there, consulting. A real person in an industry of smoke and mirrors.
5. Staff! Oscar, Caspar, Juan, all are outstanding and have personality while being professional and kind.
5. The grounds - quiet. If you are in Jaibalito or another lovely town there are dogs and roosters at all hours of the night. The grounds here are quiet, clean and dog free.
6. Proximity - NOT close to Pana. Yuck. Close enough to walk to Jaibalito. Very cute.
7. Kayaks, guitar music, wine list, clean and plentiful water, responsible solar energy initiative... must stop sometime. We loved this place.

Room Tip: 10 is quiet and private, 20 is large and private, 19 is a lovely room, 18 is only okay for one perso...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bbchen
Miami, Florida
Reviewed January 4, 2014

This is a truly unique and glorious place to stay while visiting Lake Atitlan. It is built into the side of a cliff and therefore affords you the most wonderful views of the lake and of the volcanoes. Our room was perfectly appointed; clean, comfortable and authentically charming. The property affords you lots of little nooks and crannies to read you book, take in the views and sit with your family or friends. While there, we kayaked and hiked and had more wonderful meals that we should have. This is top notch hotel and my family and I thoroughly enjoyed the overall experience. I will return!

Room Tip: Be prepared for lots of stone steps, which is part of what makes this place so unique. We loved it!
2 Thank TravelLady143
Fresno, California
Reviewed January 1, 2014

A beautiful hotel. The rooms are built on a cliff which leads to one more beautiful view after another--all on to the magnificent Lago Atitlan. A very friendly and helpful staff. In a quiet village. An unforgettable place.

1 Thank BobLevi
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

This is a great hotel with a great view. You have to be into the group meal thing though. Food was great.
We loved Casper, but when he wasn't on duty, there was no special service.
The rooms are very nice and clean. The pillows were horrible. Not sure why all the hotels have crappy lumpy pillows when it's a 4 dollar investment.
I am giving this place a 3 because my husband's Marmot raincoat was stolen out of the room. We don't expect to have things completely secure in Guatemala, but when we complained to the manager - his attitude was that non committal and kind of made us feel very awkward about even telling him. It certainly didn't make us feel like it was an unusual occurrence. If we go back, we would stay at lomas instead. Felt more cared for and certainly felt like our cloths weren't going to get stolen.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kimnewkirk
Delafield, Wisconsin
Reviewed December 29, 2013

La Casa del Mundo is absolutely an enchanting place. The location is amazing, situated on the northerly shore of Lake Atitlan, just east of the village of Jaibalito. You get there by boat from Panajachel, about 30 minutes ride. The view across the lake of the volcanoes is breathtaking and at night you can see the lights of San Juan, San Pedro, Santiago, etc. I'll never forget watching the fireworks from across the lake on Christmas Eve. The staff was so caring and attentive and helped with my transportation needs. And my limited Spanish speaking skills were never a problem, since the staff speaks both English and Spanish. There's so much to do. Hiking, swimming, kayaking, visiting villages. The food is exceptional. They have a big dinner every night and I enjoyed the company of people from all over the world. I can truly say, with no hesitation that this is my favorite hotel and I will return to enjoy another stay at La Casa del Mundo.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great. #10 is still my favorite.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jaibalito
Laguna Lodge Eco-Resort & Nature Reserve
Laguna Lodge Eco-Resort & Nature...
#3 of 6 in Santa Cruz La Laguna
#2 of 4 in Santiago Atitlan
Hotel Regis Panajachel
Hotel Regis Panajachel
#5 of 29 in Panajachel

Been to La Casa del Mundo Hotel? Share your experiences!