“Beautiful, Relaxing Place”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Guatemala City, Guatemala
“Beautiful, Relaxing Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stayed here during my first visit to the lake from my HQ in Guatemala City, and I didn't want to leave all weekend! My friends and I had some grand plans to go hiking and explore the small towns, but once we arrived at La Casa Del Mundo and explored their fantastic little patios, we just setup camp and spent the weekend relaxing.

The buildings are all setup against the side of the hill, so yes, there are MANY stairs to climb. This might not be a place for someone out of shape or with any knee/hip problems. I loved it, as this design added to the magic of the place. It also made each room more private, since all rooms have outdoor entrances and are spread out at different levels throughout the hill.

All rooms DO have a lake view, but some rooms have nicer/larger patios than others. Ours, for exampe (19) only has a side patio with partial lake view. I would try to get #20 or another room that has a patio with a full volcano view.

The place was pretty full while we were there, but you would never know because it doesn't feel crowded at all during the day. Everyone spreads out on day trips or on the separate patios and you have some space to yourselves.

The lake was clean and we enjoyed a (cold, refereshing) swim after laying in the sun for awhile.

Room was clean, with a comfy bed. There are many bugs around, though, and I don't understand why they haven't screened the windows to keep out mosquitos. The room gets a little toasty without the windows open and if they had screens I would have avoided some bites.

All of the food was delicious, but I do wish they had a dinner menu a la carte. I think you get your money's worth for Q90 with the soup / entree / dessert courses but I don't always need or want that much food. It's difficult to leave for dinner because public boats don't run back and forth after dark.

I'll likely be back with my husband, but if they fixed the 2 concerns I list above I would DEFINITELY be a repeat customer with a 5 star review.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank danicwa
casamundo, Owner at La Casa del Mundo Hotel, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
We would like to apologize again for the inconvenience with the screens in the rooms; we will be putting screens on all of our rooms shortly. Being located very far from town makes it very hard to offer dinner by the menu, but thank you for your suggestions we will keep them in mind. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed the patios and rooms at the hotel, it was a pleasure having you here and we hope to see you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Hamilton, Bermuda
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

This small boutique hotel is beautiful in so many ways. The staff are friendly and helpful, the food is fresh, local, and delicious, the scenery is dreamy, the environment is really authentic, and the experience will leave you feeling relaxed and happy, wishing you had stayed longer. I cannot say a bad thing about this place (and I am a perfectionist who can always find something wrong!). One thing I will say is that I suggest drinking your own bottled water and not using the water stations around the hotel....this is a personal preference but I found the water that was right outside our room to have a stale funny taste. Room 13 affords an amazing view and is right above the office, which really came in handy when we had to run for dinner in the rain! When it is raining though the thoughtful staff will come to your room with an umbrella so you don't get wet. There are a lot of stairs here, and if you are not in shape your legs will be sore, but the steps are a very small price to pay for the beauty of this place. The "family style" dinners really allowed us to enjoy sharing travel tips and experiences with the other guests, and we also made some life long friends while there. Choose la Casa Del Mundo and you will be soooo glad you did!

Room Tip: Room 13 affords an amazing view and not so many stairs to climb!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
We are very happy to hear about your great experience in room #13! Thank you for the wonderful review and we are really happy that you had a great time at La Casa del Mundo. We will let our staff know about you great experience so they know the wonderful job they do. Thank you for choosing us and we hope to see you soon!
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

Arrived here by boat after a long ride, warm shuttle bus ride from Antigua. What an amazing view, as we entererd the lake. We were met by wonderful house staff who kindly carried our heavy cases up from the dock to the reception area. Our room was cozy, inviting and interestingly decorated and had a beautiful veiw of the lake and surrounding volacanos. The whole place is filled with wonderful art, quiet places to relax, lush landscaped walkways....atttention to detail, everywhere. This is truly a labor of love and we soaked it all up for the two days, we were there.
My son said "Why would you want to leave this place? Let's just stay here for the two days." That is exactly what we did. The cool water of the lake, the kyacks, the incredible views, and
the amazing food filled our souls to the brim...... it was bliss!!
Having wi-fi around the whole property was a great for me to catch up on business and life stuff. The staff was friendly, helpful and the fact that they spoke wonderful English was very helpful to us.
Thank you for creating a little heaven on earth. I feel so blessed to have discovered this place..
I will be back for sure and this time for longer!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
We are very happy to know you had a great time at our hotel. Thank you for you the wonderful review and for choosing La Casa del Mundo. We are very happy to hear about your experience, and that you thought our food was amazing. We will congratulate all of our staff on your behalf, so they can see the wonderful job they do! We hope to see you again her at La Casa del Mundo, soon!
Healdsburg, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

Casa del mundo is an amazing place. What they've been able to create in the surroundings under the conditions presented is nothing short of genius.
However, here's the rub and why only a 3 rating.
We paid for an upgraded room. They placed us in room 20 (note this well). It is all the way to the west end of the property just above where they are doing construction. STARTING AT 7 am! Also, no AC which was expected and no fans. That leaves you with only windows for some climate control. Room 20, no screens on the windows. Everywhere else, screens. Well, you're in the jungle baby just like Axl said, welcome to the jungle!
We were sharing our room with everything but the scorpions. I'm talking spiders the size do desert plates too. 100% DEET didn't phase the mosquitoes and I lost a pint of blood. So no peaceful rest for us. Also no wifi which was ok with me but it came highly advertised.
The food is good but not cheap and not authentic Guatemalan which was strange.
The staff is very friendly and helpful. The place is clean and the terrain beautiful.
Just look for screens on your windows before unpacking your suitcase.

Room Tip: Make sure there are screens on your windows. If not, don't take the room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
casamundo, Owner at La Casa del Mundo Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
We are very sorry to hear about your bad experience in room #20. We would like to apologize again for the noise in the room at 7am; we’ve had a meeting with all our staff, to avoid this from happening again.

We don’t have an AC system at the hotel because Lake Atitlán has a cool climate, where it’s not too hot or too cold. The hotel is located near the Lake which helps keep the rooms at a cool temperature. Being located in a natural environment makes us home to many bugs; bugs at the hotel are not poisonous. We have staff that is constantly checking the rooms for bugs and at our guest’s request can go to the rooms and take them out. All of our rooms have screens, room #20 is a recently new room, and we will be installing screens in this room as well. Our Front desk staff notifies all of our new incoming guests to turn off the lights and leave doors and windows closed when they head down for dinner. We have also put signs in all the rooms with this information.

We had problems getting our internet back because the antenna that provides the hotel with WI-Fi can only be purchased in the U.S. Our internet is now back online and we’ve learned from this experience and now have spare antennas in stock. We did our best to provide internet service to all our guests with two computers connected to the internet but we know this can be very inconvenient. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you and hope to see you here again at the hotel in the near future!
Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

This is the most beautiful, special place I have ever stayed, hands down, and I have traveled the entire world.

The boat ride to get here is exciting and gives a great view of beautiful homes along the lake. The ride is cheap, less than $4 a person, and the boat itself is easy to find on the public dock. The boat takes you right to the dock in front of the hotel with ease and with no worry whatsoever.

From the time that the boat pulls up to the hotel, there is a staff person there to greet you and take your bags up the (many, steep) beautiful stairs that take you up into paradise. If the stairs are daunting to you, they shouldn't be. I consider it exercise to compensate for the incredible food you will be eating at La Casa del Mundo.

Check in was seamless and easy. We lost our debit card during our travels and they allowed us to pay via pay pal since on site they do not accept credit cards. The staff was very friendly and accommodating.

From there, the rest has been bliss. There are so many "pros" to this hotel that it is hard to find where to begin. The views are spectacular, which almost goes without saying if you have seen the website. But the rooms are incredible as well. The touches in each room, and design of the entire place, show that this hotel has been a labor of love. Each handmade craft that is displayed in the rooms has a label stating what it is, where it is from (which department/state of Guatemala), and how it was made. The handles on the doors, the towel racks, the closets, etc.... Basically every single detail you could possibly think of is handmade and local. The attention to detail is superb.

In addition to supporting the local economy, the owners have made the hotel basically an eco-lodge. They have an extensive recycling program in which they bring almost all reusable items to local villages so that locals can use the products for their craftwork. They are dedicated to maintaining and preserving the lake and surrounding areas through not only their recycling program but also by "eating locally," not wasting anything, and ensuring that trash does not make its way into the environment.

The staff is superb and able to accommodate any needs one may have. They are friendly and excellent English speakers. Though I myself am a Spanish speaker, I observed the way it made non-Spanish speaking guests feel at ease by being able to communicate in their own language. Also, an example of how accommodating they are..... My husband and I are here on our honeymoon. Though the communal dinner would normally be great, we wanted to be alone. We told the staff this, and they arranged a special seperate, intimate table for us and a wonderful dining experience. Speaking of dining, have I mentioned that the food here is tremendous? I am from Seattle, and consider myself a "foodie"..... I would say that the food here is on par with the best of the local, independent restaurants in Seattle.

There are a bunch of lounging areas all over the property to lay out in the sun, relax in the shade, read a book, hang out on your iPad (the whole property has free wifi), or lay in a hammock. My husband and I, when we weren't laying out or swimming in the lake, are partial to the hammocks on the main patio where you have awesome views of the lake, tons of tranquility, and, if you're lucky, a visit from one or both of the two super cool cats that live on the property.

The place itself is enormous and there is a ton to discover. There is easy access to hiking trails and lookout points. Public boats come every 20 mins or so and can take you to any point you want to go on the lake. The staff is willing to give advice or answer any questions you may have.

I know this review is long, but I don't want to leave anything out (though I am sure that I am). I cannot rave about this place enough. I have traveled the entire world and never found a place as special as this. As with many people who come here, we planned to stay only two nights and have now decided to stay until we leave Guatemala. (though we wish we could just stay here at La Casa del Mundo forever!)

I am so thankful to the owners for making this special retreat. It is a place that my husband and I wish to visit for years to come.

Room Tip: Room 2 has a gorgeous view and access to a spacious deck.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sahuarita, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

My husband and I spent four nights in Room #11 in April 2012. We picked this room because it had a little more privacy then the lower rooms. The views were amazing, the bed was comfortable, and everything was very clean. We loved everything about the location of the hotel and the room itself. All of the staff members were polite, helpful, and pleasant. The owner was very welcoming and helpful as well. We will definitely stay here again if we return to this beautiful region.

Here are a few suggestions: If you have allergies to most flowers and plants be sure to take plenty of allergy medications (the room is decorated with dried flowers). Also remember to take your own bath products such as soap and shampoo because those are not included with the room. The dinner meals in the hotel were for the most part okay and convenient. However, definitely venture out to a couple of the nearby towns for other options if you can. Be ready to climb lots and lots of stairs!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
denver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

Just got back Saturday, Sept 15, 2012. What a lovely place - warm and helpful staff, great food (dinners and breakfast) and very comfortable rooms. We used this as a base to visit a number of the towns and villages around the lake, taking public ferry taxi's - it's really the only option available other than private boats. Back to the hotel, they had a lovely porch just below the main dining room where we got together with our friends (and others staying at the hotel) for drinks and board games in the evenings. They had several other nice patios around the site where you could enjoy incredible views and often by yourself. They have several rooms near the main lobby/bar/dining room which were very convenient and others only a short distance away. Our room was suite 12 a bit of a hike up lots of steps (outside) but it was secluded and had a nice (but very small) balcony from which you could see the lake - quite of a trek for morning coffee. All in all a great place!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jaibalito
Laguna Lodge Eco-Resort & Nature Reserve
Laguna Lodge Eco-Resort & Nature...
#3 of 6 in Santa Cruz La Laguna
#2 of 4 in Santiago Atitlan
Hotel Regis Panajachel
Hotel Regis Panajachel
#5 of 29 in Panajachel

Been to La Casa del Mundo Hotel? Share your experiences!