“Traveled the World and Never Found Better”

La Casa del Mundo Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Jaibalito
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur, Mexico
“Traveled the World and Never Found Better”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

This is the most beautiful, special place I have ever stayed, hands down, and I have traveled the entire world.

The boat ride to get here is exciting and gives a great view of beautiful homes along the lake. The ride is cheap, less than $4 a person, and the boat itself is easy to find on the public dock. The boat takes you right to the dock in front of the hotel with ease and with no worry whatsoever.

From the time that the boat pulls up to the hotel, there is a staff person there to greet you and take your bags up the (many, steep) beautiful stairs that take you up into paradise. If the stairs are daunting to you, they shouldn't be. I consider it exercise to compensate for the incredible food you will be eating at La Casa del Mundo.

Check in was seamless and easy. We lost our debit card during our travels and they allowed us to pay via pay pal since on site they do not accept credit cards. The staff was very friendly and accommodating.

From there, the rest has been bliss. There are so many "pros" to this hotel that it is hard to find where to begin. The views are spectacular, which almost goes without saying if you have seen the website. But the rooms are incredible as well. The touches in each room, and design of the entire place, show that this hotel has been a labor of love. Each handmade craft that is displayed in the rooms has a label stating what it is, where it is from (which department/state of Guatemala), and how it was made. The handles on the doors, the towel racks, the closets, etc.... Basically every single detail you could possibly think of is handmade and local. The attention to detail is superb.

In addition to supporting the local economy, the owners have made the hotel basically an eco-lodge. They have an extensive recycling program in which they bring almost all reusable items to local villages so that locals can use the products for their craftwork. They are dedicated to maintaining and preserving the lake and surrounding areas through not only their recycling program but also by "eating locally," not wasting anything, and ensuring that trash does not make its way into the environment.

The staff is superb and able to accommodate any needs one may have. They are friendly and excellent English speakers. Though I myself am a Spanish speaker, I observed the way it made non-Spanish speaking guests feel at ease by being able to communicate in their own language. Also, an example of how accommodating they are..... My husband and I are here on our honeymoon. Though the communal dinner would normally be great, we wanted to be alone. We told the staff this, and they arranged a special seperate, intimate table for us and a wonderful dining experience. Speaking of dining, have I mentioned that the food here is tremendous? I am from Seattle, and consider myself a "foodie"..... I would say that the food here is on par with the best of the local, independent restaurants in Seattle.

There are a bunch of lounging areas all over the property to lay out in the sun, relax in the shade, read a book, hang out on your iPad (the whole property has free wifi), or lay in a hammock. My husband and I, when we weren't laying out or swimming in the lake, are partial to the hammocks on the main patio where you have awesome views of the lake, tons of tranquility, and, if you're lucky, a visit from one or both of the two super cool cats that live on the property.

The place itself is enormous and there is a ton to discover. There is easy access to hiking trails and lookout points. Public boats come every 20 mins or so and can take you to any point you want to go on the lake. The staff is willing to give advice or answer any questions you may have.

I know this review is long, but I don't want to leave anything out (though I am sure that I am). I cannot rave about this place enough. I have traveled the entire world and never found a place as special as this. As with many people who come here, we planned to stay only two nights and have now decided to stay until we leave Guatemala. (though we wish we could just stay here at La Casa del Mundo forever!)

I am so thankful to the owners for making this special retreat. It is a place that my husband and I wish to visit for years to come.

Room Tip: Room 2 has a gorgeous view and access to a spacious deck.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Sahuarita, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

My husband and I spent four nights in Room #11 in April 2012. We picked this room because it had a little more privacy then the lower rooms. The views were amazing, the bed was comfortable, and everything was very clean. We loved everything about the location of the hotel and the room itself. All of the staff members were polite, helpful, and pleasant. The owner was very welcoming and helpful as well. We will definitely stay here again if we return to this beautiful region.

Here are a few suggestions: If you have allergies to most flowers and plants be sure to take plenty of allergy medications (the room is decorated with dried flowers). Also remember to take your own bath products such as soap and shampoo because those are not included with the room. The dinner meals in the hotel were for the most part okay and convenient. However, definitely venture out to a couple of the nearby towns for other options if you can. Be ready to climb lots and lots of stairs!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
denver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

Just got back Saturday, Sept 15, 2012. What a lovely place - warm and helpful staff, great food (dinners and breakfast) and very comfortable rooms. We used this as a base to visit a number of the towns and villages around the lake, taking public ferry taxi's - it's really the only option available other than private boats. Back to the hotel, they had a lovely porch just below the main dining room where we got together with our friends (and others staying at the hotel) for drinks and board games in the evenings. They had several other nice patios around the site where you could enjoy incredible views and often by yourself. They have several rooms near the main lobby/bar/dining room which were very convenient and others only a short distance away. Our room was suite 12 a bit of a hike up lots of steps (outside) but it was secluded and had a nice (but very small) balcony from which you could see the lake - quite of a trek for morning coffee. All in all a great place!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Antigua, Guatemala
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

Originally, planning to go to Santa Cruz for the night, I thank Trip Advisor and all of the previous LCDM Hotel reviewers for our amazing experience. It wasn’t until I stumbled upon the reviews that I decided last minute to plan a hop to Jaibailito from San Pedro instead and stay at La Casa del Mundo. Well, believe the amazing reviews. The jaw dropping starts upon pulling up to their private dock and really never stops (I am still in awe weeks after our 1 night stay). The hotel is really such a relaxing, peaceful environment, giving you time to unwind and just enjoy the company of whoever you are with OR catch up on a good read while glancing up every few minutes at the amazing view of the surrounding volcanoes. We did take advantage of the family-style dinner and couldn’t be happier. As friendly travelers we found it great to be able to chat with others over the candle-lit meal. We met a lovely couple on their honeymoon and were able to give them some tid-bits of travel info that they might not have known had the dinner not been family-style. The hotel is nestled along one of the most clear, beautiful parts of the lake as some others have been known to become infected with bacteria. This made us feel extra safe to go for a swim. There is a nice area meant for swimming OR if you’re as daring as us take the balcony jump directly into the lake! Oscar, our most favorite staff member of the hotel not only gave us the info for the jump, but joined us (at 6:00am!) AND even helped me, who all of a sudden became fearful of water, actually go through with it. After a night in “paradise” that plunge was truly the best reason to wake up so early. I do realize the price is more expensive than most other locations in Guatemala, but La Casa del Mundo Hotel truly is worth every penny OR Quetzal :)

*Bring a sweater for the chilly night and some cards and chips to enjoy. Also don't forget to catch the sunrise ;)

Room Tip: We took the advice from many of the past reviews and went with Room #12. It was absolutely stunning...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alymo125
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

We stayed in the lovely room 16. It had stunning views of the lake and the side balcony was spacious and also had excellent views of the lake. The room was spacious and comfortable and wasn't overlooked.
The restaurant was great with delicious breakfast. The communal dinner was nice but it would have lost its novelty after 4 nights! Instead we took a 2 minute walk to Venaca next door and indulged in an exceptional 4 course dinner!!!
The downside to La Casa del Mundo is the extra costs! The ridiculously expensive hot tub (go next door to Venaca and get a drink- the hot tub is available all day for free!) The kayaks, snorkel gear, sneezing... there seemed to be a cost to everything and this really took away from the magic of the place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

Ok so I didn't stay at the hotel, instead we stopped off for breakfast so I can't comment on the rooms, however from the outside they looked well maintained. The breakfast at the restaurants was amazing. Bottomless cups of good quality Guatemala coffee and massive omlettes full of vege. Great start to the day in beautiful location.

• Stayed August 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

We recently stayed at La Casa del Mundo. We had two rooms, my mom and niece were in a larger room close to the office, while my husband and I were in a small room up higher. The larger room had a very nice bathroom and comfortable beds. Our bed was also very comfortable but the bathroom was a bit awkward since it was so small. There were also many ants in the bathroom, which was better for a bit after I let the manager know, but they came back. I expect that the remote wooded environment makes it hard to keep bugs out, so we weren't too bothered by this. The food was amazing! We ate our dinners and breakfasts at the hotel, both were delicious! I definitely recommend the family style dinner, a great way to meet other travelers. As others have said the hotel is very remote but there are regular lanchas (boats) to get to Pana and other small towns around the lake. This is a wonderful place to relax and enjoy the amazing scenery! Lots of steps to climb, so if you are out of shape chose a room that is close to the office. The staff was helpful. My niece and husband got sick the last night/day and they let us check out late (at no charge) so that they could rest before our shuttle back to the city. This was greatly appreciated. We would definitely come back!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jaibalito
Laguna Lodge Eco-Resort & Nature Reserve
Laguna Lodge Eco-Resort & Nature...
#3 of 6 in Santa Cruz La Laguna
#2 of 4 in Santiago Atitlan
Hotel Regis Panajachel
Hotel Regis Panajachel
#5 of 29 in Panajachel

Been to La Casa del Mundo Hotel? Share your experiences!