It's hot! It's humid! No air conditioning! No ice! There are no screens on the windows, so you may be sharing your room with bugs of various sorts (your bed does have a mosquito net, although I think we saw maybe two mosquitoes our entire time there).
As long as you understand what you are getting into, I agree with the many people who say that this is an excellent place to spend a few days in Costa Rica. The staff is attentive and the tours are nice. I was particularly impressed with the dinner meals, which somehow are close to gourmet even though you are basically out in the middle of nowhere.
We hiked to Cocalito Beach one morning and were fortunate enough to see 6 macaws having breakfast in an almond tree right on the beach. Later, a few whitefaced monkeys came by and allowed us to take a few pictures within just a few feet of them.
Just a couple of notes:
If you feel like a hike, it takes an hour or a bit more on the "public trail" to get to the Rio Claro where Ricardo will take you on a tour of the little river in his small boat. He is excellent at spotting birds and animals. You will also make a short climb to a waterfall and where you can cool off in a small jungle pool. A very nice tour for only $10 per person.
If there is low tide when you get to the Rio Claro, you can simply walk across at the sandbar. If the tide is high, continue to follow the trail to the end, where there is whistle and Ricardo will come and get you. He lives in a small hut in the trees on the other side of the river.
Also, we bought a couple of nice molas from one of the cooks, whose mother makes them. They were quite simple and yet colorful at the same time. They are a nice souvenir of our visit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Las Caletas Lodge offers comfortable and clean accommodations; fresh and delicious food and a friendly and helpful staff who will make the best effort to make our guests stay an unforgettable nature experience combined with a family atmosphere. Enjoy the great panoramic ocean and rainforest views and awake by the sound of the rainforest and ocean. You'll be surrounded by an exuberant vegetation with wildlife of all shapes, sizes and colors. Careful landscaping highlights our natural setting. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline and Travelocity so you can book your Hotel Las Caletas Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Las Caletas - Drake Bay Hotel Drake Bay
- Hotel Las Caletas Lodge Costa Rica/Drake Bay