“A Little Piece of Eden”

Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Drake Bay
Chicago, Illinois
“A Little Piece of Eden”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Wow, Drake Bay and the Osa peninsula is fantastic! From the Howler monkeys to the sloths, to the mangos you can pick off of the trees, it was like being in the Garden of Eden. On a trip to Corcovado, we came in contact with a whole family of Howler monkeys that struck up a beautiful chorus, unbelievable! Had many wonderful times on a beach that we hiked to and had the beach to ourselves. Also, went on a horseback riding trip up and down steep terrain and then hired a masseuse because I was so sore. It was heaven, listening to the waves nearby. The hotel can be rustic but comfortable. Rustic because it does not have air conditioning, only fans. But the 80 degree temperatures are tolerable. The rooms were clean and spacious, bathroom facilities were fine. Make sure you ask for a room with a bathroom/shower. I would highly recommend this hotel and vacation experience. A wonderful way to get to know the natural flora and fauna of Costa Rica.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ashades

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Sherbrooke, Canada
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I have mixed feeling about this place. I guess it is ok if you know what to expect. It is a bi like going back to your youth and being in a camp. Fun but no comfort.
Lets start with the positive. The food was good. Nothing fancy but well done. Understand that there are only two tables so that you share your table with others. This turned out good as the other guests were generally interesting. Most guests were really nice. Also understand that you eat at fixed hours and you eat what you are served, no menu. They do accomodate vegetarians though.
The staff was very friendly except one - more on that later.
The location is great. Drake Bay is very nice, weather was perfect and the view is really good. Understand that if you arrive by taxi-boat, like most people, that the is no dock. You need to jump off the boat and walk in water to the beach then to the hotel. So, make sure you wear sandals. If you fly (we flew out), the airport is not very far but the road is bad. The taxi even had to drive in water (and this was the dry season).
There are several activities offered and they try to keep you busy. We went to the Corcovado National Park. Our guide, Rollando, was excellent and we had a good time. Understand that this takes place very early in the morning. You have to eat breakfast at 5am and leave at about 5h30. Scuba diving was so-so. I knew that this part of the Pacific is not ideal. We are novice divers so it was ok for us (we even saw a whale shark!). More experienced divers were saying that if they had know about the conditions, they would not have come. A lot of current and visibility is not so good and there is no reef, just a couple of big rocks that attract some marine life. For this activity we had to get up at 6am. We also did the kayaking. Despite being told that by leaving at 10am, we would get the high tide and could kayak quite far on the river, we could only go about 500 meters. we waited there with our guide for about one hour for the water level to go up but it never did, so we returned. Too bad as it was nice being in the shade. Too hot to do in on the ocean.
Now the negative.
The worst part of our stay was the dive master, Ivan. To say that he was not nice is an understatement. He was actually quite rude. Even other guests who were on the boat for snorkeling noticed that and discussed it at dinner. Never saw him smile either during that trip except at lunch when he was with his friends. My girlfriend had not been diving for three years and needed some assistance that he refused to give. When making comments he was very rude. I never had a teacher treat me his way in school. there were three divers, two novices and one experience diver. Ivan decided to pair everyone, which makes sense. He teamed up with the experience diver and but the two novices together, that makes no sense. If it was not for this bad experience, I would have considered giving the place 4 stars.
I also remove a star for the rooms. Ours was not as bad as other. We were actually able to open our suitcase on the floor. People in room 9 could not do this as it was too small. Some other rooms have no bathroom. There was a common bathroom and shower next to our room. did I mention it was like being in camp again? The room is very basic. There is obviously no AC, just one ventilator. Ou room had no window. Actually it had some "windows" near the ceiling. No view. The windows have no glass. So there is no privacy and no sound proofing. Mosquitoes and small critters also make their way into the room. You need to bring a flashlight so that you can make it to your room without breaking a toe.
There is no beach. You need to walk quite a distance. We never made it there.
I don't mind basic rooms but not for that price. We did three activities, plus transportation in and out of the resort with four nights costs us $1400. You would expect something better than just basic for this price.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JPDeM
Charleston, WV
Reviewed March 7, 2013

My husband and I really liked this small hotel! Since we didn't stay in any others in Drake's Bay, I can't compare it to them, but I can tell you what we liked, and reiterate what others have said.

The staff is terrific; everyone is very friendly and very competent. While there we did the canopy tour (ziplining) with only two other people besides the guides, and a lot of howler monkeys. We went on the Sirena tour, and the wildlife was amazing. I went scuba diving (I took my own mask and fins, and my rental equipment was just fine) and can't thank their dive guide Ivan enough...I am a very poor swimmer, and told him so, and he literally took my hand and gently pulled me through the few spots that had a lot of current. My husband went snorkeling, and one of the guys couldn't even swim; his guide held the non-swimmer's hand the whole time! The night tour was great fun, although it is true that one guide had knee high boots and we did not, that was not a problem for us. The mangrove tour, too, was fun. We arranged all tours through the hotel, and they all had excellent guides and pick-up and drop-off were perfect. It was a no-hassle experience.

The food was excellent, and although one doesn't have much choice, when you get there they ask if you are a vegetarian, or allergic to something, and make accommodations. The food was good, and servings were fine.

The view from all the rooms I saw is great, although it is true there is no air conditioning. Well, we knew that before we went, and the fan was perfectly adequate, as were the beds. Nothing fancy, and the water is a little ... sparse...but that is true for the whole area. There is simply not enough piped into the town. I sort of thought of this as a fancy camping trip; I knew it wasn't The Atlantis Resort.

The beach is a bit of a hike away (25 minutes), but very nice when you get there, and a fun hanging-bridge walk along the way. We enjoyed the walk a lot. There is a "beach" in front of the hotel, but it is too rocky (and perhaps too polluted?) to swim in.

As someone else mentioned, one of the best things is the other guests. There aren't too many at a time, and without exception we found them to be terrific. We are in our 60s, which is older than most of the guests, but since we had in common a lot of travel and a sense of adventure, there was always a lot to talk about. We would generally all gather in the evening in the bar. It's an outside bar, and very pleasant.

We really enjoyed our 5 nights there.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wegwoman
Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

Drake bay is absolutely fantastic and beautiful I would recommend it to everyone! And jinetes is a great place to stay. The superior rooms have a great view of the bay and the common area about the bar has another incredible view. The food is very good, you don't get an option with what you're served for lunch or dinner but it didn't bother me cause it was always good. The dining area is just two large tables so everyone staying at the hotel sits together which I loved! Meeting people and hearing about their day and sharing experiences was really fun. It's a short walk into town but its still secluded and private. The staff was wonderful and very friendly.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Bren_751
Veenendaal, The Netherlands
Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights here.
Pros:
- friendly staff
- coffee/tea in morning at your room so you can enjoy this while watching nature.
- breakfast, lunch and dinner is included and is good!
- hot shower
- coffee and water at bar for free during the day
- booked the corcovado sirena tour at the hotel and it was well arranged. Tourguide Roy showed us an enormous amount of wildlife!

Cons:
- nice beach 25 min (moderate) walk away (beach in front of hotel has crocodiles)
- rooms are small and quite hot (fan does help a bit)
- bed was not comfortable, really hard mattress, so we haven't slept much..

You pay quite a price for the location (we payed 150$ p night for the room) but that's with most of the hotels in the area of drake bay.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Jacquelinevdhaar
Joliet, Illinois
Reviewed January 30, 2013

My husband and I were celebrating our 5th anniversary and this was the perfect hide away! The meals were all great and the staff very friendly and accommodating. We arrived on a Monday afternoon and asked if they could do some laundry for us. They took it and it was in our room later that afternoon folded on our bed. They have many tours that you can take and will help you with choosing what works best for you and your time there. We have some friends that live in Cartago and they came down to stay for a few days to hang out with us. Together we all went on the horse backriding tour and the Zip line tour. It was one of the best tours that we did while staying there. My husband even thought it was better then the two days of diving that he did. If you get a chance to go, go and do the horse back tour and Zip line!!

Room Tip: I would strongly suggest that you take water shoes and hiking boots. Alos, the type of pants that u...