“Great little place”

and 1 more site!
Jinetes de Osa Hotel
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Drake Bay
Reviewed December 25, 2012

I love this place compared to busier places like Manuel Antonio. People are very nice, no one is pushing to sell souvenirs to you. The hotel itself is pretty simple but it met my needs. An AC would have been nice to have but the fans kept me cool enough at night. Patrick and Victor were very good at organizing all the activities. I went on my first dive with Ivan and saw many cool things. We did the night bug tour not with the famous "bug lady" that I heard about but instead with two guys from the hotel (Giovanni's brother and someone else). They did a pretty good job except I wish they could have provided rubber boots for us because it felt a little dangerous walking into the jungle at night with just running shoes (the guides were wearing knee high boots).

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Amit A

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Excellent location at Drake Bay, very good service and great staff. Organisation of tours was very good and the guides were very nice and had excellent knowledge about the nature. Good starting point for all activities. BUT
We went to Jinetes for diving at Cano Island. Due to the limited luggage at the airplane we had to rent the equipment. But the equipment was absolutely unacceptable. Old and broken wetsuits, sizes only for very small people and the regulators did spend more water than air. Glasses yellow and salty, ugly.
The second very bad point is the missing waste management at the hotel. We were told about protection of the environment and especially the national parks, but in opposite to all other hotels Jinetes does not consider it as neccessary to have a suitable waste management. Instead the polluted water goes to the sea.
The price is high, for staying overnight and for the activites, therefore one could expect more engagement for the nature, with which they earn their money.
I was very disappointed about these two inacceptable points and will not recommend this hotel to my friends.
The owner lives in San Jose - I hope he will change these things in the future.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Heike15
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I love this place!!!! Friendly, fun and very relaxing. It is located near the water. We woke up to the sound of the waves and the birds singing! The food was excellent. We really enjoyed speaking and interacting with the other guests. The hotel staff was help in finding different activities (scuba diving, zip lining, hiking, kayaking etc). At night, there is a friendly bar to have a few drinks in a quiet and friendly atmosphere. Great value for the money!! Book early as it does fill up during peak season!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jeff S
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Before I travelled to Costa Rica someone described the Osa peninsula as a Garden of Eden. That’s such an apt description, it’s one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been. I stayed in Jinetes de Osa, which was beautifully situated and had an awesome view, from my room, though bird-filled almond and palm trees, over the bay. The staff were brilliant – funny, friendly and helpful (the dive master was a real raconteur) and even the other guests were lovely. I spent a day in Corcovado ( got a boat to Sirena and hiked the – very flat – trails around there). I saw all four species of monkey, two tapirs (which even the guide was excited about), some stunning birds and amazing lizards, snakes and insects. Another day I snorkelled out by Cano Island (you can land now, but not use the facilities) and saw all sorts of stunning fish, including rays and white tipped grey reef sharks and I also went horse riding, travelling in the hills above Drake Bay and riding to a beautiful waterfall. The rest of the time I just pottered. There was a beautiful beach a 20 minute hike over the headland and the town itself was sweet and relaxed. Leaving was a real wrench.

Room Tip: Great views from all rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Cybergal444
Reviewed May 31, 2012

We went to Drake Bay, Costa Rica, to complete our open water dives and get our SCUBA certification. Drake Bay is a beautiful place; no noise or cars, rich rain forests, and very good people. The hotel Jinetes de Osa was wonderful with very friendly staff. The food was simply excellent. Fixed but generous portions ensured that one never over ate. The manger and his wife are a Swiss couple and are very nice. A Canadian guest unfortunately had a heart attack while snorkelling and passed away; the hotel staff handled the situation wonderfully. I believe the hotel owner in San Jose received the wife of the deceased at the airport. Also, I'd like to mention that Giovanni, the bar tender and snorkelling guide was a really nice and helpful guy.

The only downside to the hotel ws the lack of air conditioning and one really feels the need for it in the afternoon which are hot, still and humid. The diving of Cano island is fantastic and we saw reef sharks, manta and sting rays, a sea turtle, moray eel and millions of smaller fish. The dive master Ivan Ruiz is very experienced and managed to enable my petrified wife complete 4 dives. He deserves a medal.

You will have an experience of a lifetime, don't miss the night insect tour and rain forest zip lining offered by the hotel. Also, take a kayaking trip up the river which is a short distance from the hotel. Unfortunately, we couldn't visit Corcovado National Park as we left a day earlier than planned because of the sad demise of our Canadian friend, but I beleive it is fantastic.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I stayed at a hotel in Drake. Jinetes was a 10 minute walk from my B&B. They were very professional at the dive center, and their equipment was good. Ivan was great to dive with. Highly recommended. I would have gone 5 stars, but their dive price is the same whether you have all your own gear, or use theirs. I dove with this center and Pirate Cove, these guys were a little more on top of their game, and located much closer to Drake.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TravisSnyder
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Such a great escape with friendly staff who provide excellent service. The meals were wonderful and the back drop could not have been more perfect. Our room was spacious and very clean with a huge bathroom. You can't beat this place for location and price. They are also the local dive experts and I highly recommend you book with them because a professional operation is hard to find. I can't wait to return and will be dreaming of Jinetes until then...

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 8 in Drake Bay
Hotel Las Caletas Lodge
Hotel Las Caletas Lodge
#2 of 46 in Drake Bay

Been to Jinetes de Osa Hotel? Share your experiences!