This place is wonderful. If you're looking for a luxury resort -- this is not it. The rooms are more like cabins, sparsely furnished, but with all of the comforts you'd need--and the location and experience is well worth it. Our room was air-conditioned, which was great after a long day out in the heat and humidity. It had a perfectly fine bathroom and a large shower with reliable hot water. It also had an incredibly beautiful view of the ocean.
The people here are wonderful -- always willing and eager to help out. The location is amazing -- accessible by boat, or by foot over a swinging suspension bridge suspended over a quiet jungle river. Loved it.
Do not miss the tours. Yes, you get up early in the morning to go by boat into the rainforest, but it is so well worth it. Our guide, Manuel, was incredible. He is knowledgeable, talented, and kind. He was able to spot animals when we didn't see or hear anything --really, it's like he has a sixth sense-- that log was a crocodile! He brings a telescope to help us see the animals way up in the trees. We absolutely loved our days out hiking with him. (We've also heard great things about another guide there-- Arnoldo.)
Highly recommend: Corcovado trip to Serena Station (deeper into the rainforest -- lots of animals), San Pedrillo Station (excellent swimming hold and water fall), Canopy tour (who wouldn't love zip-lining in the rainforest!). We also did the Cano Island trip -- but that wasn't the greatest -- water was rough and murky so the snokeling wasn't what it probably is on better days. We've heard great things about all of the trips-- just pay attention to the weather a bit.
Food was good and plentiful -- they pack you a picnic when you're out on a trip -- otherwise all meals are served in a the dining room (which feels a bit like a dining hall at summer camp-- but with nice servers,good food, table cloths at dinner, etc.)
Right at the lodge we saw monkeys, macaws, toucans, etc. This place is wonderful. Really. Go there.
Oh-- and this was a family vacation with two teenagers. They loved it. (Bonus, although there is wireless internet at the office and bar, it's spotty and slow, meaning more time for Banagrams and chess in the afternoons after a hike, or in the evenings after dinner.) Also, they'll do small amounts of laundry for you every day -- so don't bring much -- you don't need it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since it was founded in 1985, Drake Bay Wilderness Resort has continued to be a family run business. Our focus has been to take good care of our guests so that they'll feel right at home. We try to be as flexible as possible, taking into consideration people´s needs and we do our very best to fulfill special requests. For instance, we will prepare meals for special diets. Furthermore, the hotel is situated in one of the most beautiful locations in the area. It has large open areas with a bounty of beautiful flowers, tropical plants, big mango trees, and beach almond trees that attract the raucous macaws. The property gives you the feel of being in a private island since the river flows along the backside of the property and the whole front side meets the ocean. In addition to this, most visitors come to us by boat and the access by land to the hotel is a small path, unreachable by car, that is submerged in a jungle. Best of all, there is a paradise like view of the bay and ocean, reflecting the deep blue sky and, beyond that, hills bound in lush forests.We offer all sorts of extras that help make our guests' stay more comfortable and enjoyable. For example, we include a full laundry service. Kayaks close to the water are always at our guests' disposal. We have a restaurant, bar, swimming pool, dock, and hammocks to relax under the shade of a tree with the cool ocean breeze blowing on you. From our hotel we take guests on adventures in snorkeling, hiking, diving, canoeing and whale watching. Visitors often see four species of monkeys, sloths, tapir, caiman and a myriad of birds, including the scarlet macaw, mangrove hawk, toucan... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Drake Bay Wilderness Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Drake Bay Wilderness Hotel Drake Bay
- Drake Bay Wilderness Resort Costa Rica