I've traveled extensively across Costa Rica and I think Drake Bay is one of my favourite spots. The Wilderness Resort is a great place to stay. All of the staff are wonderful and went above and beyond to help us with whatever we needed. The resort is right on the ocean and has spectacular views. We saw dolphins swimming in the ocean right in front of our suite and by the pool. The rooms are clean and very comfortable (but you'll want to spend most of your time outside anyway!!). The salt water pool is divine. At night the grass all around the pool lights up with fire flies and it is truly magical. The food is excellent and they were very catering to my vegetarian diet. They also have an awesome bartender who can whip up a pretty mean sangria.
The day trips to Corcovado and Cano Island are a must. We saw tons of wildlife, both on land and in the ocean (4 types of monkeys, scarlet macaws, toucans, boa constrictors, lizards, crocodiles, sea turtles, humpback whales, dolphins, tons of fish). Our guide Manuel was very knowledgeable and great at scouting out all the animals in the jungle and under the sea.
Can't wait to go back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since it was founded in 1985, Drake Bay Wilderness Resort has continued to be a family run business. Our focus has been to take good care of our guests so that they'll feel right at home. We try to be as flexible as possible, taking into consideration people´s needs and we do our very best to fulfill special requests. For instance, we will prepare meals for special diets. Furthermore, the hotel is situated in one of the most beautiful locations in the area. It has large open areas with a bounty of beautiful flowers, tropical plants, big mango trees, and beach almond trees that attract the raucous macaws. The property gives you the feel of being in a private island since the river flows along the backside of the property and the whole front side meets the ocean. In addition to this, most visitors come to us by boat and the access by land to the hotel is a small path, unreachable by car, that is submerged in a jungle. Best of all, there is a paradise like view of the bay and ocean, reflecting the deep blue sky and, beyond that, hills bound in lush forests.We offer all sorts of extras that help make our guests' stay more comfortable and enjoyable. For example, we include a full laundry service. Kayaks close to the water are always at our guests' disposal. We have a restaurant, bar, swimming pool, dock, and hammocks to relax under the shade of a tree with the cool ocean breeze blowing on you. From our hotel we take guests on adventures in snorkeling, hiking, diving, canoeing and whale watching. Visitors often see four species of monkeys, sloths, tapir, caiman and a myriad of birds, including the scarlet macaw, mangrove hawk, toucan... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Drake Bay Wilderness Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Drake Bay Wilderness Hotel Drake Bay
- Drake Bay Wilderness Resort Costa Rica