Our very sincere thank you to Marleny, Adrian and the Drake Bay Wilderness team for sharing their home in paradise with us. The fact that it is an hour long boat ride - departing from Sierpe town, is the tip to prepare oneself mentally for the adventure into a remaining remote part of Costa Rica. Our stay at Drake Bay Wilderness Resort was the last leg and absolute highlight of our holiday. The visitors we met from all corners of the world while there, all shared a passion & interest to experience this remote part of CR natural beauty. In everything the Drake Bay Wilderness Resort team did, we experienced their respect for the natural environment in which they live & therefore expertise in what they do. Whether it was the "captain" of our boat guiding us out of the river through the breakers into the ocean, our guide Manual educating us on the wildlife & flora in Corcovado, tracking the dolphins en route to Cano Island; or the preparation of delicious food served in this remote location - Marleny, Adrian and their team have mastered the balance of providing a very comfortable, in many ways luxurious stay, yet maintaining the rustic, natural beauty of the wilderness we came to explore. The food was delicious. Remember - we arrived by boat - our luggage side by side with bags of watermelon & other fresh supplies. Somehow - DBWR conjured 3 fresh meals a day, each day varied. A favourite was our picnic in Corcovado - fresh salad, chicken, ham, cheese, fruit, ice cold water and juices - all served on a table cloth -in a setting of howler monkeys, tropical forest and crashing waves. The DBWR team exemplified the generosity & kindness of CR. After hiking & boating excursions, you may hand your muddy, soaked laundry to be washed for free; Nellie awaits you from 4.30pm in the bar area, ready to serve drinks and chit chat with you as we rode out a heavy rain shower. With laughter, she corrected our spanish, shared her university learning on first aid in wildlife (how to identify a venomous vs non venomous snake); while Manual was ever patient not only educating us on our trips, pointing out beautiful school of jacks, parrot fish - but also teaching our 7 year old son how to crack open a coconut & drink fresh coco water - later used to make pina colada's for our sundowners. From the hammocks set up around the property, to the salt water pool & natural tidal pools, the communal bar area, path to Cocolita beach, it felt as if attention was paid to every detail to ensure you as the guest, may savor the unspoiled natural beauty of Drake Bay and Corcovado.The family have been doing this for almost 30 years - their expertise & warmth created an unforgettable, magical 80th birthday holiday for my father and our family. We do hope to make it back again some day. Highly recommended for those who love & respect nature.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since it was founded in 1985, Drake Bay Wilderness Resort has continued to be a family run business. Our focus has been to take good care of our guests so that they'll feel right at home. We try to be as flexible as possible, taking into consideration people´s needs and we do our very best to fulfill special requests. For instance, we will prepare meals for special diets. Furthermore, the hotel is situated in one of the most beautiful locations in the area. It has large open areas with a bounty of beautiful flowers, tropical plants, big mango trees, and beach almond trees that attract the raucous macaws. The property gives you the feel of being in a private island since the river flows along the backside of the property and the whole front side meets the ocean. In addition to this, most visitors come to us by boat and the access by land to the hotel is a small path, unreachable by car, that is submerged in a jungle. Best of all, there is a paradise like view of the bay and ocean, reflecting the deep blue sky and, beyond that, hills bound in lush forests.We offer all sorts of extras that help make our guests' stay more comfortable and enjoyable. For example, we include a full laundry service. Kayaks close to the water are always at our guests' disposal. We have a restaurant, bar, swimming pool, dock, and hammocks to relax under the shade of a tree with the cool ocean breeze blowing on you. From our hotel we take guests on adventures in snorkeling, hiking, diving, canoeing and whale watching. Visitors often see four species of monkeys, sloths, tapir, caiman and a myriad of birds, including the scarlet macaw, mangrove hawk, toucan... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Drake Bay Wilderness Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Drake Bay Wilderness Hotel Drake Bay
- Drake Bay Wilderness Resort Costa Rica