When you step off the small boat that takes you from your taxi that takes you from the small plane into Drake Bay from San Jose, someone greets you and says, "Welcome to paradise" and if you are like us, New York skeptics, you say to yourself, "We'll be the judge of that."
So here it is - it is paradise.
The siting of this inn could not be more beautiful. Each room has a vista, each vista embraces sky and water and trees and animals. You cannot ask for a more pristine place - with comfortable beds, delicious food (thank you Dixon!) and decks with chairs and hammocks upon which you can relax in amazing ways.
Be prepared for kayaking on a smooth river while howler and capuchin monkeys let themselves be known. Take a hike into the Corcovado jungle with a most knowledgeable guide and see a Fer de Lance coiled up, coatamundis, sloths, birds galore and amazing trees that you can now identify (kind of!). Stop for a waterfall adventure (water so refreshing that even those of us who normally do not 'do ' this type of thing had a great dip. Go snorkeling and be amazed at the variety and colors of the fish, schools of fish, even a shark, and feel so well cared for that there is no fear. Go into the mangroves and see birds you have only seen in nature documentaries.
And most of all, be grateful for a most welcoming, genuine and caring staff. To a person the staff has been chosen because they are professional and thoughtful and responsive and caring. There is an authenticity to the way in which the various staff members take care of each guest. Nothing servile, simply wonderful hospitality - I want to give a specific shout out to Carlos for his knowledge, to Dennis for his boating skills, to Gabrielle and Olman for their administrative abilities, to Luis and Claudio for their attentiveness to our food (Dixon for his cooking!) and to Gabriella for helping me personally overcome 60+ years of fear of putting my face under water and not being able to stand - I snorkled with her help and overcame my panic with her heart and her help -- amazing! Tony for his guiding abilities. I could go on. Brad has chosen each of these people and treats them so that they treat you in turn with care and smiles.
I have rarely chosen to be in a place where I would be eating with folks at a table three times a day, where there is nothing to distract you from activities and nature, where there is no TV (tho we did stream the super bowl!) and I had some concerns. The people who choose to be here at the edge of the world, where 80% of the biodiversity of the country can be found, where every day you choose to be up and out on an adventure at 6:30 or 7 AM and then to bed by 9 -- well these are people who are interesting and interested, social in a good way and fun to meet and talk with.
If you can figure out how to visit Aguila de Osa, you too will find yourself in a little bit of Paradise!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rainforest and Marine Adventure Lodge: Nestled amidst the jungle-covered hillsides overlooking the tranquil waters of Drake Bay, Aguila de Osa is an exquisite rainforest and marine adventure hotel. It’s here where you will experience life right on the edge of the Osa. Aguila de Osa is the destination for adventurers from around the world, offering the most convenient access to Corcovado National Park, Caño Island Biological Marine Reserve, and a full array of adventures including world-class sport fishing, scuba diving and snorkeling, plus bird watching, hiking, beach trips, river kayaking, mangrove estuary tours, and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Aguila de Osa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aguila De Osa Hotel Drake Bay
- Hotel Aguila De Osa
- Aguila De Osa Costa Rica/Drake Bay