We're traveling throughout Costa Rica for five weeks and spent our first five days at Aguila de Osa, a gorgeous property under the outstanding helmsmanship of Bradd Johnson, or as we like to call him," the Commodore". We stayed in the beautiful honeymoon cabin, which is more like the most luxurious treehouse you can imagine, looking out over the property's wild rain forest landscape. The woodwork of the gleaming polished floors and beams is astonishing.This truly feels like the middle of nowhere, and for us that's always a good thing! Every detail has been considered in making this hotel blend into the surrounding environment, and Bradd and his staff's commitment to sustainability is very impressive --- indeed, he pretty much wrote the book on environmentally conscientious hospitality in this part of the world.
We can't say enough about the calibre of service of the entire staff, who nonetheless keep it real with a warm and easy-going vibe. No stuffy or pretentious "boutique-ness" here! Two especially noteworthy residents are Chef Dixon, who went the extra mile to whip up delicious gluten-free dishes for me (Thank you, chef!! Still dreaming of those banana pancakes ...) and the undisputed divine hostess of Aguila de Osa, Coco, whose warmth and constant attentiveness added immeasurably to our delight during our stay.
Needless to say, there was an abundance of wildlife on site every day --- scarlet macaws, monkeys, toucans, giant grasshopper, lizards, frogs, a cayman, two and three-toed sloths, giant morpho butterflies --- and in the water, white tip sharks, giant schools of brilliantly colored fish, moray eels, puffer fish, dolphins, turtles, and many, many others. All dive trips and hikes were perfectly organized and conducted by very enthusiastic and well-trained naturalists (special thanks to our two wonderful dive mistresses, Gabriela and Sandra!).
We were happy to meet The Commodore, so muchas gracias, Bradd, Coco, and the oustanding staff at Aguila de Osa for an unforgettable stay --- we'll be back! Pura vida!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rainforest and Marine Adventure Lodge: Nestled amidst the jungle-covered hillsides overlooking the tranquil waters of Drake Bay, Aguila de Osa is an exquisite rainforest and marine adventure hotel. It’s here where you will experience life right on the edge of the Osa. Aguila de Osa is the destination for adventurers from around the world, offering the most convenient access to Corcovado National Park, Caño Island Biological Marine Reserve, and a full array of adventures including world-class sport fishing, scuba diving and snorkeling, plus bird watching, hiking, beach trips, river kayaking, mangrove estuary tours, and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotwire, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Aguila de Osa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aguila De Osa Hotel Drake Bay
- Hotel Aguila De Osa
- Aguila De Osa Costa Rica/Drake Bay