After finishing grad school in NYC I wanted nothing more than to escape everything and feel a million miles away. But I also wanted to feel pampered in a comfy hotel. La Paloma fits the bill! Most people tend to spend 3 or so nights but I spent 5 and could've stayed longer.
I'm a bit surprised that this place is listed as a 3 star hotel on here. To me it felt like a 4 star.
The only way to/from the lodge is via boat. The speedboat was waiting for me when my van transfer from the airport arrived, and only took about 5 minutes to get to the lodge. One of the lovely staff people were waiting for me with a vehicle to drive me part of the way up to the lodge (on other days the vehicle wasn't offered, but it's only a 5 minute walk, if that). I expected to be offered a beverage immediately upon arrival, but instead I was seated at a table with an amazing view of the water, and even better... an amazing view of a spread of fruit, juice, homemade bread - and was then given the option of a couple of different lunch entrees. Throughout my entire stay the staff were absolutely charming, called every guest by their first name, and were perfectly attentive. The food was also great & plentiful through the entire stay.
Everything is gorgeous. The wood floors & buildings are stunning, the lounge area is comfortable, the grounds are lush & natural, the pool area is relaxing, and my room was beautiful. I asked for a room with A/C and closable windows. To be honest I've got a bug phobia, so it was important to me that I could seal off my room. Many of the rooms/bungalows onsite are not able to do that so you get, ahem, wildlife in your room - so make sure you request what you're up for. I didn't have a clear water view from my room, but still greatly enjoyed the hammock on my porch. Once I drew the curtains on the two windows facing the clubhouse, my room and deck were completely private.
For excursions I did the Corcovado trip, the Cano Island trip - which were both included in my rate, and I also did the extra Mangrove trip. I enjoyed all of them! Randall & Walter are fantastic guides and lovely people. I'm not comfortable snorkling, but I still enjoyed the trip out to Cano Island with the scenery and a bit of time just swimming in the warm water. All of the excursions were on covered boats, so you can limit your sun exposure.
I have mixed feelings about writing this review - the hotel was fantastic & I love singing their praises, but I also kind of want to keep it a secret! :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We have outstanding views of Drake Bay and the Pacific Ocean from our Lodge. Our standard rooms are large and include a private bath and an ocean view balcony. Our ranchos are one and two-story private cabins that also offer balconies with stunning ocean views. They hold up to 6 people and are very spacious. Some are equipped with a bathroom on both the upper and lower level, and are suitable for families or two couples traveling together. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Evoline ltd so you can book your La Paloma Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Paloma Hotel Drake Bay
- La Paloma Drake Bay
- La Paloma Lodge Costa Rica/Drake Bay