We were for the 3rd time in Costa Rica this year and 2nd time at La Paloma. We came the 2nd time to La Paloma Lodge this month after being a guest the first time in 2012. From the warm and professional service to cleanliness of the rooom, amazing food and ambiance, to the breathtaking views and omnipresent wildlife everything is like in paradise! For the first time n the tourists we recommend the tours organized by the lodge, especially that this year o Cano Island trip they saw not only humpback whales but one killer whale too!! If you spend more than 4 nights - and you SHOULD - you must hike to Playa Josesito and back. It is a hike through the jungle that is sloping into the ocean. It is a path less travelled that requires a little effort but it is absolutely worth it! As you approach Playa Josesito you must stop at Ricardo who is offering a canoe/boat trip on Rio Claro. You stop and Rio Claro and just swim in the river as it flows into the ocean. The "RIcardo" boat trip requires about 1 1/2 hours and is recommended that you do it as a separate trip. La Paloma can arrange to drop you off at Playa Josesito, you hike back to Ricardo and take his boat trip. You actually paddle with one of his guys up on the river up to a point where the boat cannot go anymore, then you get off the boat and swim back taken downstream by the river all the way down to the river mouth at the ocean. Amazing. We have done this even on a day when it rained and it was one of the best experiences we've ever had.
About the La Paloma team, the proof of outstanding professionalism came on the day of our departure when the Nature Air was delayed due to weather conditions in San Jose. Jessica, the lodge manager, and Andrea, the office manager in S.J. were in close communication and immediately booked us on a flight with Sansa that was only in 20 minutes time! The rest was like in a James Bond movie: the Professionals at La Paloma run with us down to the dock, got into the boat along with Jessica who accompanied us (!) and they dropped us off on another beach farther from the town but closer to the airport. There there was Delfin, the driver (how did he appear there in no time?) who got us into his Range Rover where we changed our shoes (beach landing, remember...) using a towel he had ready for us. We made it at the airport on time and made our connection in San Jose with the United flight, back to Toronto.
Now what? We cannot wait to go back in 2014!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We have outstanding views of Drake Bay and the Pacific Ocean from our Lodge. Our standard rooms are large and include a private bath and an ocean view balcony. Our ranchos are one and two-story private cabins that also offer balconies with stunning ocean views. They hold up to 6 people and are very spacious. Some are equipped with a bathroom on both the upper and lower level, and are suitable for families or two couples traveling together. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Evoline ltd so you can book your La Paloma Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Paloma Hotel Drake Bay
- La Paloma Drake Bay
- La Paloma Lodge Costa Rica/Drake Bay