“Easily the best Seafood I've had in Costa Rica”

Gringo Curt's Seafood & Vistor Center
Ranked #1 of 16 Restaurants in Drake Bay
Cuisines: Central American
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Gringo Curt's Seafood & Visitor Center was established June 2010 and our menu has not changed to date. We have pride in our small menu because it assures that we can provide freshness throughout the year by purchasing fruits, vegetables and fresh fish, locally and daily. There are many benefits to having same day caught fish but one downside is that we cannot guarantee a time that we can open. If we have fish at 12pm, we open. Thank you for your consideration and look forward to your visit Pura Vida!
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I stayed in Drake Bay for 2 weeks and I stopped in here many nights. I've tried the fish tacos, red snapper flavored and cooked in banana leafs to perfection (It was big enough for both me and a friend) and a delicious amply sized fresh fish pasta. Everything was delicious. I don't think you could get fresher fish at a restaurant if you tried. The atmosphere of the restaurant if excellent as well. It's a great place to stop in after a long day of exploring the many amzing attractions in the area. The owner Curt is also a really nice, welcoming guy who has lots of great information about anything you could ever want to see in Drake Bay. I definitely recommend it.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

i saw the reviews here for the two Tico restaurants in Drake. They are both also fine, by the way, with much more extensive menus than Curt's - my family and I ate at both - but that is beside the point. Don't get me wrong, Curt's food is tasty, and the portions generous, as people have noted. He offers three daily choices - fish tacos, whole fish cooked in banana leaves with veggies, and a veggie pasta. I ate the tacos, and they were good, if not sublime. The fish will be the 'catch of the day'; in practice, this is usually mahi-mahi. But the food, though an important part of what Curt offers the weary traveller, is not really the key thing at Curt's. It is a small and very cool bar/restaurant with a friendly welcome and sensational view, and Curt is a friendly guy with heaps of local knowledge and a great willingness to share it. This is a great boon as there are many choices of unique things to see and do in this area but unbiased info. on tours and guides can be hard to come by. Curt has seen all the local sites and attractions, knows most of the guides, of course speaks perfect English, and was very very helpful to us. One example - an absolute highlight of our trip to this part of Costa Rica was a rainforest walk we took in the late afternoon/early evening to observe some of the many local species of frogs - absolutely fascinating and we would not have gone if we hadn't started admiring the guide's pictures on a visit to Curt's. Curt gave the guy a call, he was at the bar within 10 minutes, and before we knew it we were splashing up a stream on his grandfather's farm looking for poison dart frogs (which we found). Also, stick around at Curt's for a while and you are bound to meet somebody interesting. As well as the local guides, he seems to know all of the local expats and people are dropping buy for a beer all the time. Curt also has board games available for folk to borrow and play. So thank you Curt - host/chef and source of all local knowledge.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

In my trip backpacking South from Cuba for almost 6 months, I must literally had to have frequented well over a couple of hundred restaurants. If this isn't the best one for the trip, it has to be close.

The fish prepared here is incredibly fresh & tasty, along with mashed potatoes & vegetables. The portion was huge, and being a massive eater myself I really don't say that often.

As for the service, Kurt is more than happy to chat away about what you would like & give you an abundance of information on anything & everything in Costa Rica.

Definitely go here: You won't regret it!

Reviewed April 4, 2013

The fish tacos are great, got the receipt for the sauce and have tried to recreate it at home. But it just misses the Tucans and beer that Kurts has as a backdrop. Defo worth a try

Reviewed March 22, 2013

I had a large fish taco here for $6 and also the next day had Red Snapper with potatoes and really good vegetables (spicy) for $14. The Beer was very reasonable here also, $2, all prices include tax.