“A highlight of our trip!”
Review of The Divine Dolphin

and up
Whale and Dolphin Tour in Drake Bay
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Divine Dolphin has been taking people to encounter the glorious dolphins and whales of Drake Bay, Costa Rica since 1998. We are also a research and conservation organization dedicated to creating a protected marine area here, and are the only tour operator exclusively dedicated to dolphin and whale tours. It is our specialty! Our tours feature highly experienced tour guides, our resident marine biologist and a hydrophone that allows us to hear the dolphins' and whales' sounds. We often encounter mega pods of dolphins numbering in the hundreds and even thousands and we have the longest season of Humpback Whales in the world. We celebrate the connection that people have with these amazing and highly intelligent beings and approach them with the utmost respect. We have been featured on Animal Planet, The Travel Channel, Fine Living and in numerous magazines and publications. Dive on in and meet the Divine Dolphins and Whales up close and personal while helping us to create a protected marine area. Everybody wins, especially the marine mammals we are working to protect.
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Our half-day tour started with a wet pick-up at the beach near Hotel Ojala. Nori and Lucan were our guides (Sierra was celebrating a special day) and Capt. "Gato" was at the helm.

As we made our way to prime habitat, we learned about fishing methods and their impact on dolphins. The tour proceeded slowly with no sightings for the first hour or so. We pulled into a beautiful cove of Corcovado and found that the birds that feed with the "resident" dolphins were still ashore - - not a positive sign. After a brief cruise to a cove with a waterfall, we were back out in open water.

We headed further and further from shore until, at last, Gato spotted a pair of dolphins. This led to a larger group, who took turns riding the bow wave of the boat or playing in our wake. What amazing and social creatures! We swam for a bit before heading toward Cano Island in hopes of locating another group. Success again, with an even larger group and more marvelous displays of swimming and jumping. Again we swam and then started heading back to shore.

We were told that whale sightings had been relatively few this season, but as we returned, keen-eyed Gato spotted a mother and baby humpback whale. We watched in fascination and quiet as these magnicient creatures swam and surfaced nearby. I will never forget their breathing, especially the exhales through their blow holes.

Throughout our journey, Nori and Lucan doted on our children - educating them, supporting them as they sat on the bow, allowing them to ride on their backs in the water and even monitoring their sun exposure. Their passion for life and living creatures was palpable. And we greatly appreciated the depth of their knowledge and their ability to share it. We were sorry to say our good-byes.

Logisitics were smooth. The boat was well-equipped with life preservers, cold water and packaged snacks. Unllike many boats in the area, it had a working radio. And it also had an underwater microphone with which we could hear the dolphins' vocalizations.

Highly recommended.

1  Thank PADiamond
DivineDolphin44, Owner at The Divine Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2013

Thank you so much for your beautiful review. I am sorry I couldn't take you out personally that day but I am so happy that I had Nori and Lucan here to show you all the beautiful dolphins and whales we have here in Drake Bay, Costa Rica. I hope you will return sometime and I will be sure to personally lead your tour. Thanks again.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

We did a one-day tour with Sierra and her captain. We loved it !! We saw some playful dolphins, which played in the wake of the boat and did many splashes in front of us. Then, we saw a humpback whale and its baby. Amazing !! It's so huge. Then, we saw hundreds cow nose rays, a BIG manta-ray, 2 lovely sea turtles which swam all around us. Sierra is experienced and knows everything about cetaceans, and others marine species. She gave us interesting information about it and she knows where we can meet animals in the area ! This tour is obviously one of our best memories from Cost Rica. These animals are so beautiful, friendly and playful !

Celine, thank you so much for posting your pictures from our amazing day out on the water. It is always a JOY for me to take people out who are so excited and appreciative of all that they see. So I thank YOU for that and I hope you both will come out again to see us in the future. Much love to you.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

I went on 3 tours with Sierra and her Captain. Sierra has an undeliable 'connection' with the Cetaceans, it's like they hear her coming and cannot wait to greet her and the friends she brings along. We saw a proud mama whale with her baby, manta rays, sword fish, sea turtles, hundreds of spinner dolphins with soooo many babies in the group (adorable) , bottle nose and spotted dolphins. Sierra and her Captain are very respectful of marine ife and we actually would turn the boat around to get garbage out of the water which truly was heartwarming. Add this adventure to your 'must-do' list, you will not be disappointed. <3 There is no doubt in my mind I will be with Sierra on another dolphin / whale tour .

2  Thank mjv43

Mary, it was my Divine Pleasure to take you and Jami out to see all the incredible sea animals we have here and thank you so much for your beautiful words about me. I sometimes shake my head that people actually pay me to do what I love doing most in the world. I do hope you will come out again to PLAY sometime soon. I love you!

Reviewed March 1, 2013

I've tried to come up with the words to adequately describe my 3 tours with Sierra and I can't. Sierra's captain is professional and responsible with his cargo and boat. Sierra has an uncanny way of knowing exactly where to go to find the dolphins. On my trips we saw bottlenose dolphins, spotted dolphins, giant manta rays, humpback whales, sea turtles and spinner dolphins. Every experience was magical and amazing and life changing. I truly want to come back again.

2  Thank Jami C

Thank you so much, Jami. It was a total THRILL to spend time with you and the dolphins and our trip with the Spinner dolphins on Valentines Day was the biggest thrill of all. I Love You and I hope you will come out again sometime soon!

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Reading the other reviews folks have written, I really have nothing to add. Sierra, her captain and team know and respect the area, the ocean, the environment, the animals and it shows in all they do. It was a privilege to be with them in their element. They are fun to be with and most importantly, the lunch was delicious!

1  Thank Dyan G
DivineDolphin44, Owner at The Divine Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Thank you so much, Dyan. We enjoyed our time on the water with you and your husband and you got to see a lot of amazing things like the Spinner Dolphins, manta rays, Bottlenose Dolphins, Spotted Dolphins, sea turtles and more. We hope to see you both out here again soon.