“The best things in Costa Rica all in one spot!”

Copa de Arbol Beach and Rainforest Resort
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Drake Bay
Reviewed January 12, 2014

At Copa de Arbol you've got the ocean, the rain forrest, the birds, the animals, the culture, fine dining, excellent service and privacy all in one spot.

This is our 6 the year traveling in Costa Rica. It is a wonderful country and this is our new favorite spot.

The only way to get there is by boat so part of the adventure is just getting there. When we arrived to this beautiful lodge we were warmly greeted and offered fresh towels and coconut waters. It was lunch time so while our luggage was taken to our cabin we had our first experience in the restaurant. Orlando the chef came out and explained the lunch selections. We could tell right off the bat that we were going to love eating here. Orlando is an amazing chef who creates 5 star meals but also a genuinely nice guy who goes above and beyond to make you happy. Henry the bartender was also a lot of fun and the bar is well stocked with top shelf liquors.

We loved the jacuzzi and pools. We thought they were awesome. Not oversized but comfortable and beautiful and immaculate. A great place to hang out and read a book or watch the monkeys playing in the trees.

One day we hiked south for about an hour to Rio Claro, a river that flows into the ocean. There is a beautiful lagoon that you can swim in. Very refreshing. The hike itself was beautiful and we stopped at one of the many beaches along the way and ate a lunch that Orlando packed for us. Great day. The next day we hiked the opposite direction about 45 minutes to a little town of Drake. Very colorful town. We enjoyed a fruit smoothie at a local soda and headed back.

After hiking we enjoyed massages on the bottom deck of our cabin. A great massage with the sound of the ocean and other nature sounds in the background.....not from a CD player. Awesome.

We also went on a sunset cruise that we thoroughly enjoyed. The sunset was absolutely stunning.

Kudos to Mike and Jay for creating such a dream place. We will definitely be back and will stay more than 3 nights.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank melrw
Mike M, Owner at Copa de Arbol Beach and Rainforest Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Thank you for your kind words. Costa Rica is an amazing country with many incredibly beautiful places to stay and visit. Our staff works very hard to provide the type of experience so many guests have shared here on Trip Advisor. Being recognized by experienced Costa Rica travelers as your new favorite place is quite a compliment. It was great getting to know you both. We cant wait to have you back for anther visit!!

Reviewed January 12, 2014

What an incredible week at Copa de Arbol! My husband and I chose this wonderful resort as the location for our 25th anniversary trip, and stayed from just after Christmas to just after New Years. We were blown away by the jungle and beach setting, the abundant wildlife, the beautiful facilities, and above all by the attentive and friendly service of the staff. If you are wondering if Copa is right for you, here are a few questions to help you decide. When the manager comes into the restaurant at dinner time to announce that a rare snake has been found outside, would you be scared, or excited? During our visit, everyone rushed out to see the red-eyed snake. Would you be upset or thrilled to wake each morning to a howler monkey chorus at 5am? Would you welcome the fact that the owner has decided not to have music in the restaurant, so that visitors can enjoy the natural sounds of the forest and the waves? The staff recognize that most people who find their way to the resort are eager for such natural experiences, and go out of their way to provide them, along with the comfort of AC, great food, etc.
Just getting there was an adventure, from fording a river in the taxi from the airport, to making the wet landing on the Copa beach. The buildings are set back in to the foliage, but most are raised so you can look out over and through the lush vegetation to the water. We often brought our binoculars to the restaurant so we could check out the birds and monkeys while we ate.
While this trip was not primarily a birding trip, we amassed quite a good list of species, including 8 kinds of hummingbirds just on the Copa grounds, along with the chestnut-mandibled toucans that announced happy hour every afternoon, scarlet-rumped tanagers, golden-hooded orioles, manikins, trogons, and off course, the scarlet macaws. Other wildlife highlights included four species of monkeys, pilot whales, a troop of coatis, peccaries, a tapir and a sloth. Guides Mauricio and Jose were very knowledgeable and eager to share their love of the flora and fauna of the area. They helped us use all our senses to experience the animals, from smelling the peccaries before we saw them, to tracking down the whales after Jose heard them when we were snorkeling. We did a tour of Corcovado (La Sirena station), snorkeling at Cano Island, a night walk, and an early morning bird walk. We also did some hiking on our own, along the coastal path (one beautiful beach after another) and back into the jungle behind the resort. The staff gave great suggestions for walks and owner Mike even personally walked us out to one trailhead that was a little obscure.
In addition to the incredible animal experiences, we were very impressed with the service we received. Jonny and Angel got us anything we needed and Orlando and the rest of the restaurant staff went out of their way to make sure we were happy. They remembered my dietary quirks and arranged appropriate, alternative meals when my stomach was upset. On our last night, we enjoyed an anniversary dinner for two in the dining loft, complete with beautiful floral arrangements and candlelight. All the food was delicious and portions were quite plentiful.
I could go on and on enumerating the special qualities of this small resort, repeating praise listed by other reviewers. We keep looking back at our photos, wishing we were still there, enjoying the ocean breeze, watching the birds, relaxing in the hot tub after dinner, sitting at the bar chatting with Mike and other guests about our adventures of the day and developing friendships...This was a trip of a lifetime, although we dearly hope it will not be the last time we journey to Copa de Arbol.

Room Tip: We stayed in 8, Sable, which had a great view of gardens out to the water, wonderful for small birds...
3  Thank biobrand

Thank you very much for this thoughtful and informative review. We do this because we love it. Our highest reward is the smiles on our guest’s faces and knowing that we met or exceeded their expectations. One of my favorite things is to sit with guests at the end of the day and hear their stories and feel their excitement as they fall in love with the Osa Peninsula. It makes all the hard work it took to make this dream a reality worth it. Thank you all!!!

Reviewed January 8, 2014

This place is one of only a few cool places to stay along the OSA coast… the staff are great, the food delicious and the pool worthy of a hip pad in LA. Cabinas are right on considering you're really in the thick of a coastal jungle.
Expect monkeys, sloths and macaws to be your neighbours :)
Give yourself at least 3 nights to enjoy some coastal hikes, a trip to Corcovado and Cano.
They need more comfortable kayaks for sure though!
Head out for a sunset cruise with one of the great local boat captains and take it all in from the water.

Room Tip: I heard number 9 was awesome
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

I have never enjoyed kayaking, as the position you sit in is hard on my back. We have standard kayaks with regular seats, which seem to work fine for most people. After your visit and suggestion we bought some adjustable seat extenders to make the kayaks more comfortable. We also have standup paddleboards that are easier on your back. Thanks for posting this review, people and their backs will appreciate the it!!

Reviewed January 8, 2014

If you are coming to Costa Rica, you MUST come to Copa de Arbol. This is truly paradise in the jungle located in a breathtaking, secluded beach front setting. This is a very private, high-end, remote resort (only 8 casitas on the property). Every aspect of our visit there was truly five star--the friendliness of the staff, the attention to detail, the quality of the food, the well appointed/up scale rooms, and the location. As we arrived, the staff and owners (who happened to also be there) immediately learned the names of the 6 people in our family. You felt that it was truly important to each and every one of them that our stay was perfect and that they were happily at your beck and call. The lush grounds are immaculate, as are the rooms and the dining area. Fresh cut tropical floral arrangements are everywhere. The food is creative, varied, delicious and every bit as fabulous as that which we would find in the best of our San Francisco restaurants. In addition, they easily accommodated our vegetarian daughter with spectacular creations just for her. Our waiter, Orlando, was particularly attentive and friendly. My vegetarian daughter said today that she missed him already (we just left yesterday!). Food is available around the clock. There is a beautiful terraced infinity pool and hot tub over looking the ocean. This is a great location to enjoy the Capuchin (white-faced) monkeys who freely roam and play all over the property. While there we went horseback riding, snorkeling, paddle boarding, and on a jungle hike in Corcovado National Park. While there we saw MANY animals and birds including all four species of monkeys found in Costa Rica. Our guide for the snorkeling and jungle hike was Mauricio and he is fabulous!!! We chatted regularly with the owners and you could truly feel the pride in what they have created. When asked how they came up with the plan and design of the hotel, one owner, Jay, simply said that he created a place that we would want to stay in. Aren't we all lucky that he did!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Mary Jo K

I can’t find words to describe how rewarding it is to be able to provide people with the type of experience you describe in your review. When you visit here you will always find myself (I live here full-time), or Jason the other owner on site. We are fortunate to have a fantastic staff, most of whom live here helping to create the family vibe that you and so many other guests speak of. Thank you for being a part of our dream and come back soon.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

I thought long and hard whether I should write this review. As is, it will stand out negatively among the 80+ perfect reviews. I don't want any travellers to be put off but I do want to write about my experience at Copa de Arbol. The negative rating is mainly due to very personal reasons.
Summer at the office and Mike, the owner are aware of the below. They have both dealt with it fantastically and I thank them both for this.

I agree with the other reviewers on the fantastic location and setting. But here are my comments and experience.

Christmas: due to our complicated families, we spend Christmas every other year away. We have celebrated Christmas in South Africa, Kenya, Zanzibar, Dubai and Malaysia. Before this trip, I was so excited about being able to celebrate in Costa Rica. I was sure it would be even nicer than the other countries. On arrival, I saw no decorations but assumed they would go all out on the big day itself.
25 December arrived. And it went and was unacknowledged. We jumped from 24 to 26 December as if Christmas did not exist. I love love Christmas and CdA took that day away from me. Even now I am sad thinking about that.
When this came to Mikes attention, he replied that because of religion and other reasons, our fellow guests did not want a celebration. I was and still am baffled. In Zanzibar, a dominantly Muslim Island, the hotel was stunningly decorated and the hotel organised a Turkey BBQ. In Malaysia, wonderful decor, a special dinner and a choir, same in Dubai, in Kenya, the staff made us a gift etc etc.
When my friends back home asked me : so how was Christmas in Costa Rica and I told them, one of my friends commented: sounds like the hotel could not be bothered.
That did struck a cord because even if the other guests might not have wanted a celebration, surely no one could have taken offence at some nice decorations. Evey other CR hotel, even the more basic ones we stayed in, had beautiful decking.

Rooms: they look nice but to me were a tad too basic. Flimsy curtains held together with a bow which is lying around somewhere when you close curtain, too little privacy. We could see people in hut behind us and they could see us. We had wanted Balsa but it was booked so we stayed in Sable, it looks out onto the sea ( nice) but also on Balsa and has another hut behind it.

Pool: visually stunning pool but only 6 extremely uncomfortable sun loungers. They are Indonesian and look fantastic but are hard on the bum and not practical. 6 loungers for 20 guests is not enough either.

Food: after all the reviews, I was excited but I was let down. The best meal I had was the Casado which was the best of 6 I tasted in CR. Their attempt at refined European fare, did not succeed for me: undercooked potatoes, undercooked fish, too salty.
I don't eat cooked breakfast. Breakfast lacked healthy yoghurt and choices of cereals. 1 day I did order a fried egg and it was greasy and bad tasting.

Staff: Oflando and his fellow waiters are fantastic. 1 day housekeeping did not clean our room. We left to snorkel at 0700 am and by 1 pm room was not made up. Johnny, the manager claimed this was a misunderstanding. I don't see how. We leave for. 6 hours, come back tired and dirty and room was not ready.

I left CdA feeling sad and disappointed. I really questioned myself as all the other reviews love, love , love this place and I did not. It made me feel too demanding and spoilt. On the other hand, I strongly believe, at the prices paid, I have the right to be. For future travellers: don't be put off. The Christmas story was very personal to me and I am sure CdA is still finding its feet and can remedy some other issues.
And to end on a positive note: a BIG thanks goes to Mauricio. We did all the trips with him. He is amazing: passionate and patient, enthusiastic and knowledgeable with an untiring energy. Thanks so much.

Room Tip: Balsa seemed best to me or otherwise further to the back for more privacy.
4  Thank Chocolate74
Mike M, Owner at Copa de Arbol Beach and Rainforest Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2014

Trip Advisor is a very useful tool for both owners and travelers. Comments and criticisms posted here help hotels improve and travelers make informed decisions regarding their irreplaceable time and how they are going to spend it. We truly appreciate everyone who takes the time to share their experiences with us and with others.

Christmas: Christmas is a special holiday celebrated in 100’s of ways all around the world. I can’t comment on the places you listed having never been there, but here at Copa De Arbol we admittedly had a low-key affair. Unfortunately we did things differently than what you were expecting, but we were genuinely doing what we thought was appropriate for all of our guests as a whole. We served a traditional Costa Rican Christmas meal, which consists of tamales and roasted leg of pork and decorated with simple arrangements of poinsettias in the restaurant and lobby area. One tradition that is unique to Costa Rica is lighting loud firecrackers as part of the celebration. We skipped that feeling it was not right for our guests or the eco system. Any future travelers who wish to have Christmas decorations in their rooms, please let us know in advance and we will be happy to make that happen.

Rooms: We regret that you felt our rooms offer little privacy. This resort was designed by us with privacy and comfort as our highest priorities. Our curtains are standard cotton full-length curtains. When closed, they cover the windows completely. Our web site features detailed videos of every room including the views from all angles, both inside and out. I strongly advise any potential future guests to check them out in advance.

Pool: We have a total of 10 lounge chairs. The amount of pool chairs we put out is based on the demand and schedule of our guests and weather. It is very tricky to keep outdoor furniture nice here in the rainforest, so we must constantly move them in and out of the rain. We just got new cushions for our pool chairs to make them more comfortable.

Food: Chef Miguel and his staff have received amazing reviews here on Trip Advisor. Everything from our jam and granola to our hot sauce is homemade. Food can be complicated as many people have allergies to particular ingredients or follow specific diets. I am sure some of the folks who have written prior reviews here were served dishes that didn’t suit their tastes, however they let us know and we were able to fix it. Any guests who have special diets, food restrictions or simply want something different are encouraged and welcome to meet with Chef Miguel to discuss and create a personal menu that is acceptable, as we quite often do. He was saddened to learn of your disappointment after you left and would have loved the opportunity to cater to your needs as he has done for so many other guests referenced in other reviews.

Staff: Our cleaning staff is made up of a group of humble, hard-working & dedicated ladies who take pride in their work. The situation with your room was a simple misunderstanding that we deeply regret. Some of our guests choose to skip the daily cleaning, often times asking only for clean towels. In regards to the housekeeping issue on December 25th, Yaniry, one of our most diligent employees went to clean your room right as you were about to shower and you asked her for clean towels. She thought you were requesting towels only instead of a daily cleaning as guests frequently do. When you returned and found your room uncleaned, you became rightfully furious. We deeply regret that situation and did our best to resolve it. We have since spoken with all the cleaning staff and put policies into place to assure that this type of misunderstanding does not happen again.

All of us here at Copa De Arbol are in the service business because we love it. As I stated in the beginning, Trip Advisor is a powerful tool designed to help travelers make informed choices and give hotels the opportunity to improve. From reading all the outstanding reviews we have earned, you might get the idea that we are perfect. The truth is we are not; we make mistakes just like everyone else. If you come to Copa De Arbol and want the best experience possible, please let us know if you’re not happy with something and we will do our best to fix it during your stay with us. If you do have any special requests for your upcoming stay, please let us know ahead of time so that we can make it happen if it is possible.

Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

It's a magical place built by two Californians with a crazy dream. It took Mike and Jay 10 years after buying the land to get permission for the resort, and then 8 years to complete it entirely by hand. No heavy equipment or transport was possible. Hats off to them!

The first thing you notice after the traditional warm welcome is the high quality of construction. Massive teak beams and beautifully polished flooring is everywhere. The place is only a year old, but it is built to last in a climate that tries to rot everything.

Service is perfect. Genuinely friendly and helpful. The food is brilliant. The highly talented chef is very keen to experiment which is fun and usually works, but I have to say we Europeans generally prefer subtler sauces to let the flavours of the natural and beautifully cooked food come through rather than be dominated. However, everyone else while we were there was American, and having travelled many times to the US, I am well used to the somewhat overpowering sauces they tend to use on meat and fish. So I guess the menus weren't aimed at us. Perhaps being offered sauces on the side would have helped. And a note to Europeans. The 'red snapper' is different from the little bony things you know from the Med and are utterly delicious.

If you desperately need wifi in your room, make sure it's near the central building. Rooms 10/11 we're too far out - but hey, we're in a jungle! Having it at all is a bonus. No mosquitos either. Major unexpected bonus!

Couple of tips about excursions. If you do the longer beach walk to the left, take some cash for the 'ferry' over a tiny river outlet. It looks simple to ford on foot, but it's not only deceptively deep with shingle sides, there is a very strong rip current at high tide. My daughter, 22 and a strong swimmer, was very nearly pulled out to sea. Only a last minute lunge by our guide to grab her, prevented a dangerous situation becoming worse.

Do make sure you bring flipflops! I had strapped sandals which were a pain to keep taking on and off. Shoes are banned in all rooms. Tip to resort - why not stock a small range of flipflops to sell.

We took a trail towards Drake and met a large troop of capuchin monkeys. I excitedly got close to take pics but was charged with screams and teeth baring by some angry group members. I ran one way, my wife the other. Separated by a townie terror of these potentially rabid biters (told later no rabies in CR but don't take risks), we waited until they disappeared before we united again somewhat sheepishly. Later we were told they never attack and to simply stand our ground. It seems they've learned to chase tourists to encourage them to drop food in panic. A sort of mammalian frigate bird!

Last tip to photographers. Bring a waterproof sack. Our guide luckily lent me one for the snorkelling boat trip.

You won't regret staying at Copa de Arbol. Thanks and good luck to Jay, Mike and their team.

Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank Grombler

Guests that visit us and offer constructive criticism here on Trip Advisor or in person are an essential part of how we improve as our dream grows. All of our meals are always available with sauce on the side. Since your suggestion, the wait staff makes sure to offer rather than waiting for people to request it. We are also in the process of improving our Wifi by getting each guest a data card to use upon arrival. This will make Internet access much better and available anywhere on the property. Your tips for excursions are great and we are always using feed back from guests to improve our descriptions of self-guided tours. In all my time here, I have never had an experience with the monkeys as you describe; they talk a big game and like to puff there chest out but that’s where it ends. Grombler, It was great having you and your family here at Copa De Arbol. Thank you very much for this helpful informative review!!

Reviewed December 31, 2013

I stayed at Copa de Arbol for 4 nights on my recent trip to Costa Rica and fell in love with this little slice of paradise in the jungle.
The purpose of my trip was to visit Corcovado National Park where I had been in 1994 before they had anything that resembled a hotel in the Osa. Back then I spent 3 days eating granola and sleeping in a wet blanket but the experience was magical...the intense rainstorms, the desolate beaches, the noises of the jungle, the colorful birds, and all those magnificent animals!
I often dreamed of going back to this fragile environment. I longed to immerse myself in it before it's gone, but I never dreamed I could do so in what can be considered luxury.
From the moment I arrived I knew it would be difficult to leave. The location is spectacular, between the jungle and the beach. The service is attentive but not intrusive. The cabin was clean, large (2 queen beds) very comfortable and pleasantly decorated. It even has AC for those who are overly sensitive to high humidity.The 3 level pool is stunning, the food was wholesome and delicious, and they even accommodate special diets.
What is most amazing is that all these amenities are provided in a location that can only be reached by boat!

A few suggestions:
-pack light as there is a weight limit on the plane and you will also have to travel by boat to reach the lodge.
-a light long sleeve shirt work best for hiking in the jungle or boat trips.
-bring insect repellent, particularly if you plan to walk around at night.
-a good pair of binoculars is essential.
-bring tevas or other type of reef walkers (the lodge provides rubber boots for hiking in the jungle)
-bring a small flashlight.

About tipping:
-you can put a tip for all the staff (or for specific people) in your credit card upon check-out.
-the guide should be tipped separately, as well as the boat captain and helper.

Pick Cabin 1 (closest to the beach) if you feel like going for midnight swims, or just like to fall asleep to the sound of the waves.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank crazy4nature

The Osa peninsula is impossible to forget once you have been here. Its impossible to really understand how special this place is without coming here; words and pictures don’t do it justice. I first came here 20 years ago and bought this property. I spent the first 3 years living in a tent and bathing in the river so I can relate to your first visit to the area. Some of my best memories are from that time but I must admit having all this comfort in the middle of this tropical wilderness is easy to get use to. It was great to share stories with the both of you during your stay. Thanks for posting this informative review and come back soon!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Drake Bay
#2 of 2 in Corcovado National Park
Drake Bay Getaway Resort
Drake Bay Getaway Resort
#2 of 8 in Drake Bay

Been to Copa de Arbol Beach and Rainforest Resort? Share your experiences!