“Beach Front, Jungle Paradise”

Copa de Arbol Beach and Rainforest Resort
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Drake Bay
Reviewed January 8, 2014

If you are coming to Costa Rica, you MUST come to Copa de Arbol. This is truly paradise in the jungle located in a breathtaking, secluded beach front setting. This is a very private, high-end, remote resort (only 8 casitas on the property). Every aspect of our visit there was truly five star--the friendliness of the staff, the attention to detail, the quality of the food, the well appointed/up scale rooms, and the location. As we arrived, the staff and owners (who happened to also be there) immediately learned the names of the 6 people in our family. You felt that it was truly important to each and every one of them that our stay was perfect and that they were happily at your beck and call. The lush grounds are immaculate, as are the rooms and the dining area. Fresh cut tropical floral arrangements are everywhere. The food is creative, varied, delicious and every bit as fabulous as that which we would find in the best of our San Francisco restaurants. In addition, they easily accommodated our vegetarian daughter with spectacular creations just for her. Our waiter, Orlando, was particularly attentive and friendly. My vegetarian daughter said today that she missed him already (we just left yesterday!). Food is available around the clock. There is a beautiful terraced infinity pool and hot tub over looking the ocean. This is a great location to enjoy the Capuchin (white-faced) monkeys who freely roam and play all over the property. While there we went horseback riding, snorkeling, paddle boarding, and on a jungle hike in Corcovado National Park. While there we saw MANY animals and birds including all four species of monkeys found in Costa Rica. Our guide for the snorkeling and jungle hike was Mauricio and he is fabulous!!! We chatted regularly with the owners and you could truly feel the pride in what they have created. When asked how they came up with the plan and design of the hotel, one owner, Jay, simply said that he created a place that we would want to stay in. Aren't we all lucky that he did!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Mary Jo K
Mike M, Owner at Copa de Arbol Beach and Rainforest Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

I can’t find words to describe how rewarding it is to be able to provide people with the type of experience you describe in your review. When you visit here you will always find myself (I live here full-time), or Jason the other owner on site. We are fortunate to have a fantastic staff, most of whom live here helping to create the family vibe that you and so many other guests speak of. Thank you for being a part of our dream and come back soon.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

I thought long and hard whether I should write this review. As is, it will stand out negatively among the 80+ perfect reviews. I don't want any travellers to be put off but I do want to write about my experience at Copa de Arbol. The negative rating is mainly due to very personal reasons.
Summer at the office and Mike, the owner are aware of the below. They have both dealt with it fantastically and I thank them both for this.

I agree with the other reviewers on the fantastic location and setting. But here are my comments and experience.

Christmas: due to our complicated families, we spend Christmas every other year away. We have celebrated Christmas in South Africa, Kenya, Zanzibar, Dubai and Malaysia. Before this trip, I was so excited about being able to celebrate in Costa Rica. I was sure it would be even nicer than the other countries. On arrival, I saw no decorations but assumed they would go all out on the big day itself.
25 December arrived. And it went and was unacknowledged. We jumped from 24 to 26 December as if Christmas did not exist. I love love Christmas and CdA took that day away from me. Even now I am sad thinking about that.
When this came to Mikes attention, he replied that because of religion and other reasons, our fellow guests did not want a celebration. I was and still am baffled. In Zanzibar, a dominantly Muslim Island, the hotel was stunningly decorated and the hotel organised a Turkey BBQ. In Malaysia, wonderful decor, a special dinner and a choir, same in Dubai, in Kenya, the staff made us a gift etc etc.
When my friends back home asked me : so how was Christmas in Costa Rica and I told them, one of my friends commented: sounds like the hotel could not be bothered.
That did struck a cord because even if the other guests might not have wanted a celebration, surely no one could have taken offence at some nice decorations. Evey other CR hotel, even the more basic ones we stayed in, had beautiful decking.

Rooms: they look nice but to me were a tad too basic. Flimsy curtains held together with a bow which is lying around somewhere when you close curtain, too little privacy. We could see people in hut behind us and they could see us. We had wanted Balsa but it was booked so we stayed in Sable, it looks out onto the sea ( nice) but also on Balsa and has another hut behind it.

Pool: visually stunning pool but only 6 extremely uncomfortable sun loungers. They are Indonesian and look fantastic but are hard on the bum and not practical. 6 loungers for 20 guests is not enough either.

Food: after all the reviews, I was excited but I was let down. The best meal I had was the Casado which was the best of 6 I tasted in CR. Their attempt at refined European fare, did not succeed for me: undercooked potatoes, undercooked fish, too salty.
I don't eat cooked breakfast. Breakfast lacked healthy yoghurt and choices of cereals. 1 day I did order a fried egg and it was greasy and bad tasting.

Staff: Oflando and his fellow waiters are fantastic. 1 day housekeeping did not clean our room. We left to snorkel at 0700 am and by 1 pm room was not made up. Johnny, the manager claimed this was a misunderstanding. I don't see how. We leave for. 6 hours, come back tired and dirty and room was not ready.

I left CdA feeling sad and disappointed. I really questioned myself as all the other reviews love, love , love this place and I did not. It made me feel too demanding and spoilt. On the other hand, I strongly believe, at the prices paid, I have the right to be. For future travellers: don't be put off. The Christmas story was very personal to me and I am sure CdA is still finding its feet and can remedy some other issues.
And to end on a positive note: a BIG thanks goes to Mauricio. We did all the trips with him. He is amazing: passionate and patient, enthusiastic and knowledgeable with an untiring energy. Thanks so much.

Room Tip: Balsa seemed best to me or otherwise further to the back for more privacy.
4  Thank Chocolate74
Mike M, Owner at Copa de Arbol Beach and Rainforest Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2014

Trip Advisor is a very useful tool for both owners and travelers. Comments and criticisms posted here help hotels improve and travelers make informed decisions regarding their irreplaceable time and how they are going to spend it. We truly appreciate everyone who takes the time to share their experiences with us and with others.

Christmas: Christmas is a special holiday celebrated in 100’s of ways all around the world. I can’t comment on the places you listed having never been there, but here at Copa De Arbol we admittedly had a low-key affair. Unfortunately we did things differently than what you were expecting, but we were genuinely doing what we thought was appropriate for all of our guests as a whole. We served a traditional Costa Rican Christmas meal, which consists of tamales and roasted leg of pork and decorated with simple arrangements of poinsettias in the restaurant and lobby area. One tradition that is unique to Costa Rica is lighting loud firecrackers as part of the celebration. We skipped that feeling it was not right for our guests or the eco system. Any future travelers who wish to have Christmas decorations in their rooms, please let us know in advance and we will be happy to make that happen.

Rooms: We regret that you felt our rooms offer little privacy. This resort was designed by us with privacy and comfort as our highest priorities. Our curtains are standard cotton full-length curtains. When closed, they cover the windows completely. Our web site features detailed videos of every room including the views from all angles, both inside and out. I strongly advise any potential future guests to check them out in advance.

Pool: We have a total of 10 lounge chairs. The amount of pool chairs we put out is based on the demand and schedule of our guests and weather. It is very tricky to keep outdoor furniture nice here in the rainforest, so we must constantly move them in and out of the rain. We just got new cushions for our pool chairs to make them more comfortable.

Food: Chef Miguel and his staff have received amazing reviews here on Trip Advisor. Everything from our jam and granola to our hot sauce is homemade. Food can be complicated as many people have allergies to particular ingredients or follow specific diets. I am sure some of the folks who have written prior reviews here were served dishes that didn’t suit their tastes, however they let us know and we were able to fix it. Any guests who have special diets, food restrictions or simply want something different are encouraged and welcome to meet with Chef Miguel to discuss and create a personal menu that is acceptable, as we quite often do. He was saddened to learn of your disappointment after you left and would have loved the opportunity to cater to your needs as he has done for so many other guests referenced in other reviews.

Staff: Our cleaning staff is made up of a group of humble, hard-working & dedicated ladies who take pride in their work. The situation with your room was a simple misunderstanding that we deeply regret. Some of our guests choose to skip the daily cleaning, often times asking only for clean towels. In regards to the housekeeping issue on December 25th, Yaniry, one of our most diligent employees went to clean your room right as you were about to shower and you asked her for clean towels. She thought you were requesting towels only instead of a daily cleaning as guests frequently do. When you returned and found your room uncleaned, you became rightfully furious. We deeply regret that situation and did our best to resolve it. We have since spoken with all the cleaning staff and put policies into place to assure that this type of misunderstanding does not happen again.

All of us here at Copa De Arbol are in the service business because we love it. As I stated in the beginning, Trip Advisor is a powerful tool designed to help travelers make informed choices and give hotels the opportunity to improve. From reading all the outstanding reviews we have earned, you might get the idea that we are perfect. The truth is we are not; we make mistakes just like everyone else. If you come to Copa De Arbol and want the best experience possible, please let us know if you’re not happy with something and we will do our best to fix it during your stay with us. If you do have any special requests for your upcoming stay, please let us know ahead of time so that we can make it happen if it is possible.

Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

It's a magical place built by two Californians with a crazy dream. It took Mike and Jay 10 years after buying the land to get permission for the resort, and then 8 years to complete it entirely by hand. No heavy equipment or transport was possible. Hats off to them!

The first thing you notice after the traditional warm welcome is the high quality of construction. Massive teak beams and beautifully polished flooring is everywhere. The place is only a year old, but it is built to last in a climate that tries to rot everything.

Service is perfect. Genuinely friendly and helpful. The food is brilliant. The highly talented chef is very keen to experiment which is fun and usually works, but I have to say we Europeans generally prefer subtler sauces to let the flavours of the natural and beautifully cooked food come through rather than be dominated. However, everyone else while we were there was American, and having travelled many times to the US, I am well used to the somewhat overpowering sauces they tend to use on meat and fish. So I guess the menus weren't aimed at us. Perhaps being offered sauces on the side would have helped. And a note to Europeans. The 'red snapper' is different from the little bony things you know from the Med and are utterly delicious.

If you desperately need wifi in your room, make sure it's near the central building. Rooms 10/11 we're too far out - but hey, we're in a jungle! Having it at all is a bonus. No mosquitos either. Major unexpected bonus!

Couple of tips about excursions. If you do the longer beach walk to the left, take some cash for the 'ferry' over a tiny river outlet. It looks simple to ford on foot, but it's not only deceptively deep with shingle sides, there is a very strong rip current at high tide. My daughter, 22 and a strong swimmer, was very nearly pulled out to sea. Only a last minute lunge by our guide to grab her, prevented a dangerous situation becoming worse.

Do make sure you bring flipflops! I had strapped sandals which were a pain to keep taking on and off. Shoes are banned in all rooms. Tip to resort - why not stock a small range of flipflops to sell.

We took a trail towards Drake and met a large troop of capuchin monkeys. I excitedly got close to take pics but was charged with screams and teeth baring by some angry group members. I ran one way, my wife the other. Separated by a townie terror of these potentially rabid biters (told later no rabies in CR but don't take risks), we waited until they disappeared before we united again somewhat sheepishly. Later we were told they never attack and to simply stand our ground. It seems they've learned to chase tourists to encourage them to drop food in panic. A sort of mammalian frigate bird!

Last tip to photographers. Bring a waterproof sack. Our guide luckily lent me one for the snorkelling boat trip.

You won't regret staying at Copa de Arbol. Thanks and good luck to Jay, Mike and their team.

Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank Grombler

Guests that visit us and offer constructive criticism here on Trip Advisor or in person are an essential part of how we improve as our dream grows. All of our meals are always available with sauce on the side. Since your suggestion, the wait staff makes sure to offer rather than waiting for people to request it. We are also in the process of improving our Wifi by getting each guest a data card to use upon arrival. This will make Internet access much better and available anywhere on the property. Your tips for excursions are great and we are always using feed back from guests to improve our descriptions of self-guided tours. In all my time here, I have never had an experience with the monkeys as you describe; they talk a big game and like to puff there chest out but that’s where it ends. Grombler, It was great having you and your family here at Copa De Arbol. Thank you very much for this helpful informative review!!

Reviewed December 31, 2013

I stayed at Copa de Arbol for 4 nights on my recent trip to Costa Rica and fell in love with this little slice of paradise in the jungle.
The purpose of my trip was to visit Corcovado National Park where I had been in 1994 before they had anything that resembled a hotel in the Osa. Back then I spent 3 days eating granola and sleeping in a wet blanket but the experience was magical...the intense rainstorms, the desolate beaches, the noises of the jungle, the colorful birds, and all those magnificent animals!
I often dreamed of going back to this fragile environment. I longed to immerse myself in it before it's gone, but I never dreamed I could do so in what can be considered luxury.
From the moment I arrived I knew it would be difficult to leave. The location is spectacular, between the jungle and the beach. The service is attentive but not intrusive. The cabin was clean, large (2 queen beds) very comfortable and pleasantly decorated. It even has AC for those who are overly sensitive to high humidity.The 3 level pool is stunning, the food was wholesome and delicious, and they even accommodate special diets.
What is most amazing is that all these amenities are provided in a location that can only be reached by boat!

A few suggestions:
-pack light as there is a weight limit on the plane and you will also have to travel by boat to reach the lodge.
-a light long sleeve shirt work best for hiking in the jungle or boat trips.
-bring insect repellent, particularly if you plan to walk around at night.
-a good pair of binoculars is essential.
-bring tevas or other type of reef walkers (the lodge provides rubber boots for hiking in the jungle)
-bring a small flashlight.

About tipping:
-you can put a tip for all the staff (or for specific people) in your credit card upon check-out.
-the guide should be tipped separately, as well as the boat captain and helper.

Pick Cabin 1 (closest to the beach) if you feel like going for midnight swims, or just like to fall asleep to the sound of the waves.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank crazy4nature

The Osa peninsula is impossible to forget once you have been here. Its impossible to really understand how special this place is without coming here; words and pictures don’t do it justice. I first came here 20 years ago and bought this property. I spent the first 3 years living in a tent and bathing in the river so I can relate to your first visit to the area. Some of my best memories are from that time but I must admit having all this comfort in the middle of this tropical wilderness is easy to get use to. It was great to share stories with the both of you during your stay. Thanks for posting this informative review and come back soon!!

Reviewed December 23, 2013

Copa de Arbol was our first stop in Costa Rica. It is my new happy place - location & service are just perfect. The resort is surrounded by lush rainforest which makes for amazing wildlife spotting just sitting in the restaurant or in your room! The service here is top notch. My husband had an allergic reaction on our first day there & the staff was very helpful getting us benedryl and kept inquiring how he was feeling. On another day, my one of my sandles disappeared on the snorkeling tour in Cano island and Mike had someone go into town and get me a new pair. I really loved the service here which was on the same level that we received at a 5-star resort in Paris - Yes, it was that good. They have rubber boots in the resort which is what we used on all the tours. Everyone on the staff addressed us by name. The food was delicious & Orlando is great chef. The guides, Jose & Marcelo, are extremely knowledgeable and we learned so much about the different animals in the area.

We did the night hike with Jose. It was amazing to see all the nocturnal animals -spiders, toads, transparent frogs, glowing fish, water snake, vampire bats, leaf cutter ants, halloween crabs, birds - and learn new things like how to find wildlife in the dark. Marcelo gave us a tour in Corcavado which was just breathtaking. Being a remote rainforest, we got to see the animals in their natural environment and Marcelo helped us spot many of the hard to see camoflaged animals.Marcel & Jose are biologists and were able to explain the physiology and behavior of different animals. This makes the tour significantly more interesting & allows us to appreciate what we see on a deeper level. Another activity we did was the snorkeling. Cano island is amazing and the diversity is just as good in the ocean as it was in the rainforest. The snorkeling here rivals that in Bora Bora. Our boat was followed by at least 20 dolphins which was a bonus!

This is the best vacation we have ever been on. We only got to spend 3 nights here this trip. I can't wait to visit again for a longer duration.

Room Tip: We were in 11 which had a good view of the ocean & the forest.
1  Thank Diana M

Diana, thank you for sharing your experience and posting this review. We get a kick out of hearing that our guests received what it was they came here for. It was an absolute pleasure to meet you both and we hope to see you back soon…perhaps for a longer stay next time. ;)

Reviewed December 16, 2013

This place is magical. The nature is stunning, the staff terrific, the trips superb. We watched monkeys frolic in the trees, swam with sea turtles, and so much more! But let me focus on what it is like for people with allergies. First, the accommodations are spot clean, the bedding allergen free, and there is AC to keep mold down (truly unique for this kind of accommodation). The first question from the restaurant was if I needed to have a separate cutting board and knife to prepare my food - unbelievable: These people know what they are talking about! There are virtually no mosquitoes so no need to be hyper vigilant about these (if you have allergies to them). Be careful for no see-ums and fire ants while on one of the trips. I recommend wearing the boots the resort provides. They tell you it is for the mud, but they also saved me from bites.

So feel free to have yourself pampered - you do not need to worry about your allergies.

Some other helpful tips:
* There are virtually no mosquitoes so no need to bring all kinds of long sleeved shirts/pants.
* They have high quality boots to wear, no need to bring your own hiking shoes.
* You will need a good pair of water shoes/slippers for getting in and out of the boat (your only way of transportation), but do not take your dress shoes. The cabanas and the restaurant are 'shoe-free' zones.
* Do not take your rain coat. You will sweat so much, it makes you wet. The resort provides umbrellas to use (in case you come in wet season).
* You can walk to town in about 45 minutes. There are two very small grocery stores. But there is no need to. The resort provides everything for you. You ask and they deliver. It is a beautiful walk though, along the beach.
* The guides are amazing. Take as many trips with them as you can. They spot an amazing amount of wildlife for you. Bringing binoculars can help, although the guide will take one along as well that is shared.

Room Tip: All of them are nice. Some have better ocean view than others.
1  Thank Allergictraveller

Thank you for posting this unique and informative review. We receive many guests with allergies and specials diets. This is a serious matter and a great cause for concern especially when traveling to remote wilderness destinations. A mistake could be very serious. We are quite proud of the way Chef Miguel is able to surprise people with his special creations. To us and to many of our guests he is the heart and stomach ☺ of Copa De Arbol.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

I recently stayed here for my annual birthday trip. I went alone for some peace and quiet. I loved every minute of my stay. I really don't even know where to begin to describe it.

I flew in to Palmar Sur and took a boat ride along the Rio Sierpe to the resort. From the moment I got on the boat, everything was excellent. The boat ride itself was a tour, because the driver would slow down in order for us to see certain animals. We slowly went through a mangrove and one of the guys caught a tiger-faced crab for us to see briefly before returning it to the water. Then we were in the Pacific Ocean heading towards the resort and when we arrived we were greeted on shore by staff.

The grounds are beautiful. You can sit outside for hours just listening to the birds and the ocean. I stayed in #8 Sable and it was perfect for me. I would sit on the veranda or in the hammock and just absorb all the sounds and beauty. The cabinas are kept very clean and the housekeeping staff is very friendly. All the staff were extremely friendly and very patient with me and my basic Spanish attempts. The restaurant staff especially helped me improve my Spanish with every delicious meal (which is included in your package). On my last day there, they surprised me with a little birthday cake with my name on it and everything. It was amazing! The attention to detail is great. Once they know your name, you are greeted with it whenever a staff member sees you.

There are plenty of activities to choose from during your stay. I signed up for the La Sirena tour, the night hike, horseback riding, and a massage (although there is so much more to do as well). All of the tours I took were amazing. I lucked out and had the same guide for all my tours. His knowledge about all the flora and fauna of Costa Rica was unparalleled. His passion for Costa Rica and the ecosystem is evident in all he does.

I was sad to leave, knowing I was going back to a loud city where I would have to wear shoes all day, but I know I will be back.

***

Of note, I worked directly with the resort via email to schedule everything. I think this was key to me enjoying my experience. They can arrange regional flights for you, schedule your tours, and even recommend overnight places to stay in San Jose if you need to arrive a day early prior to traveling to Drake Bay or Palmar Sur. The planning was effortless on my part, because all I really needed to do was book my flights to/from the US and an overnight San Jose hotel. Easy and stress-free.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank FiveCityDweller
Mike M, Owner at Copa de Arbol Beach and Rainforest Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Kali, it was great having you spend your annual birthday trip with us here at Copa De Arbol. Our goal is to help create memories and an experience that will last a lifetime. Each and every guest who visits Copa becomes a part of it by making it all possible. Welcome to our extended family and please come back soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Drake Bay
#2 of 2 in Corcovado National Park
Drake Bay Getaway Resort
Drake Bay Getaway Resort
#1 of 8 in Drake Bay

Been to Copa de Arbol Beach and Rainforest Resort? Share your experiences!