“No doubt: Best location in Costa Rica”

Copa de Arbol Beach and Rainforest Resort
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Drake Bay
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Hard to say what we appreciated the most here; the amazing location, the 5star service i.e. discreetness, helpfulness and kindliness of every single employee, the delicious and abundant food, the highly educated and trained local guides (specially Maurizio who is PHD in Marine Biology), they made our tours unforgettable (we have seen more in 3 tours with them than during a month else where in Costa Rica, worth every penny).
The only down size in this hotel is the feeling you get when you leave, knowing you will have to wait until your next visit to enjoy this unique piece of paradise.

Tips: try to book bungalows 1 and 2 their a bit more expensive but 100 times forth the price.

Room Tip: Premium bungalow 1 and 2 are worth the extra money
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank iwontout
Mike M, Owner at Copa de Arbol Beach and Rainforest Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2013

In my opinion, the Osa is by far the best place in Costa Rica. I saw more wildlife on my first day on the Osa than I did in years of traveling all through Mexico and Central America, so I am not surprised you saw more here in three days than the rest of your month long visit to Costa Rica. OI felt overwhelmed by the sensory overload, like I had stepped by in time. The Osa is a living museum, a remnant of what once was abundant throughout tropical America. Thank you from all our staff for your kind comments. We can't wait for your return.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We spent 7 days at Copa de Arbol and loved every minute of it. We loved our tree house with the views of the ocean and nature all around. We scheduled many of the adventures such as snorkeling, zip lining, Corcovado park, and fishing. They were all great in their own way and would recommend them all!! I really enjoyed the tour guide and his wealth of knowledge about Costa Rica and all of the wildlife. As for the food, it was outstanding with the freshness and simplicity!! My husband and I liked the dining upstairs with the monkeys, thunderstorms and beautiful calm mornings. I would have to say the best part of Copa de Arbol is the staff!! They are all so attentive, kind, and friendly. Overall, I highly recommend this romantic, luxurious and stunning hotel and look forward to our return sometime in the near future!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LBarberio

We are glad you enjoyed your stay here at Copa De Arbol. Our entire staff takes pride in their work and all share a common bond, a love for the Osa Peninsula. Guests often comment that they come as guests and leave as part of the extended Copa family. Welcome to the family. We hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed 5 outstanding nights at Copa de Arbol around June 17, 2013. My husband and I had unit #9, very private with great views, however, there is no bad view anywhere. Each day we were entertained by White Face Monkies, Toucans and a parade of other exotic animals. The snorkeling, hiking and all of the many adventures were fantastic. The best part of our experience was the FOOD. Great Chef Miguel makes everything fresh from scratch, nothing is from a box, ask for a cooking lesson. The entire staff became family. This is the BEST private, quiet, romantic, luxurious hotel we have ever stayed at. Bring good water shoes, a camera and pack very light.

Room Tip: All rooms are great and have AC, very clean all face an ocean view with lots of tress
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Chef Miguel has spoiled me rotten. After eating the food he prepares with such great care and attention to detail everyday, other restaurants are usually a disappointment. Being the best private, romantic, luxurious hotel you stayed at is what our staff strives to achieve. Nothing is more rewarding than knowing we met, or better yet, exceeded our guest's expectations. Thank you for sharing and spreading the word!

Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Spent 4 nights here around July 4th. Largely lucky with weather, didn't stop any of our planned activities. Scuba had reasonable visibility and saw plenty of large fish, reef shark and sting rays close up at Cano island. I did get a few stings from small Jelly fish and recommend a full body wet suit when they are present.
Food was good and they look after you. Beach at front of hotel was small but water was nice and it was quiet.
It was more expensive than I would usually spend but it was a special occasion and I don't regret spending the extra.

• Stayed: July 2013

Thanks for sharing your experience. We are glad you enjoyed your relaxing time here at Copa.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Just spent the weekend here and had an amazing time. I've been to the Osa Peninsula a few times before and this is by far the nicest hotel in the area, and really the only true luxury hotel there. There are a couple eco-luxury lodges, but none that feature what Copa de Arbol has. From the time the managers Jonny and Angel met us on the beach to the time we had to say good-bye we felt like welcomed guests there.

All the food we tried was fantastic, the chef Miguel was amazing. They even made us sashimi and tuna steaks with the yellow-fins we brought back. This is also the only hotel in the Drake Bay area with a pool, which is a huge plus after you spend all day in the hot rain forest or out on a fishing boat. They even have a heated jacuzzi to relax in at night. They have their own beach which is a nice bonus as well. The rooms themselves are very comfortable - nice queen or king sized beds, AC, ceiling fans, front porches, private bathrooms with hot water showers. Right in front of our room on the first day we had about 20 white faced capuchin monkeys playing around and running on our roof. Long story short, this is absolutely a place I would love to go back to as it combines the best of both worlds - good service and setting to relax in plus you are minutes away from some of the best adventure and wildlife in the country.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

I can't believe it, I leave for a few nights and I miss a sashimi blowout. To me there's nothing better than fresh tune sashimi/sushi. Sorry I didn't get to meet you guys, but it sounds like you had a great time. We are motivated by the desire to share this amazing area with our guests and honored by you choosing Copa De Arbol as the place to spend your priceless free time. Thank you for acknowledging our efforts to provide a luxury experience with the Trip Advisor community.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 3 night stay at Copa de Arbol. If you are looking for the ultimate in rustic luxury, you will not be disappointed. This was by far the most incredible and magical place I have ever been.
It is the ultimate Costa Rica. Not only is the location incredible, but this is the perfect lodge in the perfect location. The feeling here is very high end yet so welcoming, casual and comfortable. There is nothing stuffy about this upper class jewel.
The owners Mike and Jay are always around to oversee this incredibly well oiled machine. They chat with guests in their surfer digs. The staff is incredible - attentive, knowledgeable about the area, and just wonderful. There are so few guests and they learn your names immediately. Also they were sure to come find me when particular animal life was spotted, knowing how interested I was. And animal life there is, we saw monkeys birds, butterflies, pigs and many other things just on the grounds.
This place forces you to slow down and just chill out. The accommodations are so beautiful and comfortable. Each cabin is super private and relaxing. We slept each night with the windows wide open to the musical sounds of the surf and birds.
There is always something to do, whether it be hiking or sitting by the pool or paddleboarding or animal watching, snorkelling or eating...lots of eating.
And the food is wonderful. Beyond our wildest expectations. There is a set menu but they are always willing to accommodate. Since there are max 24 guests, you feel completely catered to, but not in a stuffy way. There is always coffee and tea and cookies out. At 5am I was coming for coffee and it was always fresh and delicious. Staff Is willing to accommodate anyone's schedule and will start breakfast as early as necessary. Breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner ran seemlessly into one another.
I felt so sad to leave, but we will be certain to return and bring our children to introduce them to the OSA and this incredible, special lodge.
This is one place that will be in my dreams until I return.

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful. We had #9 balsa, which was near the creek and closer to the ocean. We c...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 7duck

To be considered the most incredible, magical place you have been and the ultimate in Costa Rica is the highest compliment we could receive. We truly love sharing this area with our guests while providing luxury and comfort in this true tropical wilderness. We look forward to your return!!

Reviewed July 13, 2013

The cabinas were nicely decorated and very comfortable. The food was delicious and it was an adventure getting there and back on the boat. Pools were awesome and monkeys were all around.
There are a lot of extra daily activities, but just walking along the small beaches was plenty of entertainment.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you Tom. Glad you had a good time on our wild boat ride!! Come back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Drake Bay
#2 of 2 in Corcovado National Park
Drake Bay Getaway Resort
Drake Bay Getaway Resort
#1 of 8 in Drake Bay

Been to Copa de Arbol Beach and Rainforest Resort? Share your experiences!