Copa de Arbol Beach and Rainforest Resort
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Drake Bay
Denver, Colorado, United States
“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

My husband and I just got back from a 7day vacation at Copa de Arbol. I have to start with Thanking everyone for make it such an amazing vacation. Orlando,Henry and Ronnie were awesome during our dining time. Johnny,Angel and Mike(the owner) were great in making sure everything was going well with our visit. Maurico our National Park and snorkling guide took his time in making sure we all got the information and saw all the animals (he is great). Manuel the chef is just creative and can make the best fresh food we have eaten. Our boat guys and other staff members were there to assist in anything you need too. The resort is just amazing and the views are breathe taking no matter where you are on the resort. We did see alot of different species;monkeys,toucans,macaws,puma,snakes,shark,crabs,crocodiles,spiders,turtles,dolphins, boars and lizards. The holler monkeys were our 5:30am alarm clock every morning jumping from one cabana to the next and during breakfast the spider monkeys would come and steal anything not bolted down(kitchen staff calls the bad neighbors). We loved the intimate way the resort is ran you can visit with the other guest and not have alot of craziness around. We would go back in heartbeat. Copa de Arbol is a place to really sit back relax and breathe. Thank you all for making our stay wonderful,adventurous,relaxing and incredible.

Room Tip: The Balsam #9 has the best view for the beach.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jeana B
Mike M, Owner at Copa de Arbol Beach and Rainforest Resort, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Being fortunate enough to live out here full time I get to see lots of wildlife. The week you guys were here was incredible even by Osa standards, to see a Puma is a very rare treat. We truly appreciate you choosing Copa De Arbol as the place to enjoy your irreplaceable free time. Thank you from all of us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Copa de Arbol for 8 days and had an absolute blast! The staff is amazing and will do anything for their customers. They really make you feel like family. The owner is laid back and down to earth, but has had the vision to make this place a paradise and wants each person to feel special on their trip. The food was excellent and the service was great, we would not have wished for anything else. The rooms were beautiful and always felt secluded. All of the adventures were well planned and the guides were great! Definitely do the "Night Hike". The only thing I wished they had, was a fitness center, but that could be just me! I would like to thank Mike, Henry, Angel, Mario and everyone else there who made our Honeymoon unforgettable. Thank you so much for an amazing adventure!

Room Tip: Cabins are quiet, we stayed in #10, good for us, but couples may want a bit more secluded area.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Mike M, Owner at Copa de Arbol Beach and Rainforest Resort, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Hi Eleni,

With a maximum capacity of 24 guests and a 30 person staff we are able to provide genuine, personalized service. People come as guests and leave as friends, as part of the Copa De Arbol family. Everyone that visits Copa De Arbol are truly special to us, and it is important that all who visit understand that it is they who make Copa De Arbol and the conservation of the Osa Peninsula possible. Thank you for sharing your experience with others.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

I was nervous about going to Central or South America because I am an avid bird and animal conservation advocate, and I was worried about being disturbed by all the habitat loss and horrible injustices being done to animals there. But, at the same time, I wanted more than anything to be able to see these animals I love in their natural habitat while they still exist.

We chose Costa Rica because of the reputation it has for maintaining more of it's land for conservation than any other country in that region, and we chose visiting the Osa Peninsula because it was supposed to be the most preserved.

Copa de Arbol was a lucky hit, recommended to us by a travel agent as a "new" and beautiful, environmentally friendly eco-lodge in the jungle. It was a magical place for many reasons. Mostly because the owners clearly have an agenda to provide comfort to travelers while preserving the essence of the environment. The accommodations were luxurious- clean, hard wood, fresh filtered water, nice showers, air conditioning- and best of all NO television. The lodges were private with amazing views. There was a pool or the ocean to cool off in after a day of sweating in the jungle- both perfect options. The tours they offer are great- even just walking around the grounds is a breathtaking event! The guides are all friendly and extremely environmentally minded- educated in the local flora and fauna.

One thing I can't stand when traveling is staying at hotels where there a lot of children/families. Nothing personal against them, but when I travel with my husband, I want a grown-up holiday- not screaming children. Copa de Arbol really respected this- although I am sure they would accommodate kids, they clearly have designed it as a place for adults. There isn't canned music being pumped out by the pool, no rubber toys for kids to float in, no "family themed" games we are forced to take part in. It was perfect in this respect.

I can't speak highly enough of the staff either. My favorite part was that they genuinely all seemed to share in our enthusiasm when more rare animals would wander into the area. They would literally come find us, bring binoculars and cameras, and stare in wonder at what we were all so lucky to be looking at. I loved this about them. Also, my husband and I are vegetarian, and the staff was MORE than accommodating. The food was always so fresh, diverse, and delicious. They made snacks, to-go lunches if we asked, and they did not seem annoyed in the least about our annoying eating habits- which we sincerely appreciated.

We will absolutely be back- and are looking forward to it. Being a new establishment, I hope they are able to maintain these levels of amazing hospitality and conservation... it was absolutely fantastic.

4 Thank Loreleibird
Costa Rica is an amazingly beautiful diverse country with so many wonderful places to visit. We are very proud to have been the best place on your trip. That is quite a compliment. Our goal is to provide the best service and experience possible in this remote wilderness location and we are committed to maintaining and improving our standard of service as this dream evolves. It was great to have you both as guests and we look forward to your return.
San Jose
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Excelent food, friendly service, very nice rooms. Location is perfect, beach front. Nature is all around with its incredible colors and sounds. I love that this is a friendly enviromental hotel. It was a real nice experience visiting Copa de arbol.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Laura V
Thank you for choosing Copa De Arbol. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you back soon!
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

Our family (5 of us plus a friend) visited Copa De Arbol Resort in January of this year (sorry for the late review, but it shows you that I am still dreaming of it!). We had a mixed group of young and older adults, including our special needs daughter. Everyone was incredibly welcoming, thoughtful and kind! Mike and his ENTIRE staff were fantastic! We had three cabins and each one was gorgeous and unique! We will definitely be back! THANK YOU for the fantastic experience!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Elizabeth H
Hi Elizabeth,

Having your family here was a true pleasure. One of the greatest things about being here is that we get to meet really interesting & cool people from all over the world. I really enjoyed Jim’s stories from his military career and his times spent in the jungles of the Philippines. That map of the Osa you guys left us was such a nice gift!! Thanks for sharing here on Trip Advisor. Come back soon!!!
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

My wife Nancy and I stayed at Copa de Arbol in early March. No need to repeat all that has been well said in the other reviews. Mike and his team do a terrific job and deserve commendation. Our villa was beautifully appointed and the deck space, with love seat, table and hammock, was huge and private. It amazes us that they could build such a wonderful resort with pool yet no road access. Just a great holiday we would love to repeat.
Mike and Nancy Reynolds
Edmonton Alberta Canada

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RMR154914
Hi Mike and Nancy,

We are honored that you chose Copa De Arbol as the place to stay on the Osa Peninsula. We are extremely honored that you would like to return. It was great meeting you both and we hope to see you back soon!!
Los Gatos, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

This resort is located near Drakes Bay, Costa Rica, and the nature experience is wonderful, and the resort experience is 5 star. The food and the service was outstanding, and the individual villas were private, and the amenities included: polished hardwood floors, air conditioning, nice bathrooms and a nice porch. The restaurant is on the second floor and every table has a great view of the ocean. We went on three tours: Corcovado National Park, Cano Island and the night tour of the jungle. Each tour had their high points. Corcovado NP is an hour away by boat, and we saw porpoise, turtles and many sea birds during the boat trip. While at Corcovado we saw all three types of Costa Rica monkeys, tapir, parrots, macaw and many other unique animals. I also learned that you never stand under the monkeys because they drop things on you, bad things. The Cano Island tour was mostly a snorkel experience, unfortunately the water visibility was only 10 feet. The water visibility varies from season to season. We saw many birds and marine life. The night tour of the jungle was my favorite; the guide took us into the jungle behind the resort. The guide showed us spiders hunting small fish, frogs, crawfish, 4 inch spiders, peccary, etc; the night time ecosystem is a unique experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reading your review brought back memories from my first day on the Osa. In our early 20’s, Jay and I bought a van and began a journey that resulted in many years of extensive exploration of the entire coastline from the California border to Panama. On our first day visiting the Osa Peninsula we saw more wildlife in one day than we had after half a decade of roaming all around the region, It was one of the most amazing days of my life and I am still fortunate enough to be reliving that day and that feeling 20 years later. Thanks for helping to make our dream come true.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Drake Bay
#1 of 8 in Drake Bay
Hotel Las Caletas Lodge
Hotel Las Caletas Lodge
#2 of 47 in Drake Bay

Been to Copa de Arbol Beach and Rainforest Resort? Share your experiences!