“Everything you could ask for and more!”

Martina's Place Hostel
Ranked #2 of 20 Drake Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 28, 2012

My partner and I and our son recently had the pleasure of staying at Martina's Place, and it was one of the best spur of the moment decisions we have ever made. The location is perfect, just steps from the beach, and the quality of our room far surpassed our expectations for being such an affordable place, especially in a location where reasonable can mean well upwards of a hundred us dollars. The kitchen was really useful, the wifi was great, and most of all, there was Martina. She took us on a tour around the countryside on her morning off and showed us a couple of really nice local spots, knew all the best places to eat and go for hikes, and in general, was everything and more you could possibly want for an innkeeper. I would highly recommend her place to anyone who is looking for reasonably priced (yet still very comfortable and modern )accommodations in Drake Bay.

Room Tip: The apartment is wonderful, especially if you are a family as there are four beds and it opens direc...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
MartinaWegener, Owner at Martina's Place Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Thank you very much for your review! It was so much fun having you guys and little River in my house...I really hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed May 23, 2012

Last summer (July 2011) I stayed for a week at Martina's Place: a small cozy (clean!!) cabinas, with lovely people, great food, location and excellent trips. I learned a lot about various animals and even saw some of them (in the garden (freely) but also when we were on a trip). Furthermore, Martina knows and advised us about the best (local) bars and parties. I really enjoyed my stay. Martina's Place is a special place and has a special place in my heart.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much Lisanne for your review...you guys have a special place in our hearts too :-)

Reviewed March 17, 2012

Room itself was fine, shower didnt have hot water, which wasnt a problem with the high temperatures outside, even at night. Room doesnt have airco but does has a good fan. During our stay of three nights the rooms didnt get cleaned and the towels didnt get changed, which was a shame.

Staff was very helpful in arranging trips and even bringing us to the tour operator. The organisation doesnt have a car, so this does mean some walking, but since Drake Bay is so small, that isn't a real issue.

Wifi was broke when we were there, but the staff let us use their connection which was good enough for us.

The restaurant just next door serves excellent food against very modest prices. Also very nice fruit shakes (watermelon is best). Unfortunately they dont serve breakfast (anymore?), which can be tricky in the morning for tours. The staff is helpful enough to arrange something somewhere else though.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank KvBerloo

Thank you for giving 4 stars even there were some things you would have liked a different way...Since I was on tour during your stay I can only say what I have been told from my staff...There was no electricity in 2 days that's why there was no hot water or wifi...
Thank you for liking the restaurant, but we closed it and offer instead a fully equipped kitchen for self cooking! If you ever come back we would be happy to welcome you again!

Reviewed February 24, 2012

I learned about Martina's place through trip advisor and decided to stay therre for a few nights February '12. I coordinated the stay via email, and Martina responded quickly, and was very thorough in her emails. Although I did not ask for an airport pick up, Martina kindly arranged the pick up. The room I stayed in was quite spacious and the food was great. Throughout the whole trip, she has always been available to answer questions, give recommendations as to which places to visit and make sure that I was fully prepared for my tours. I particularly enjoyed horse back riding, trip to Corcovado park and snorkeling. I am very happy to have met Martina, she has definitely made this trip very enjoyable:)

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Arushonok

Thank you so much for this review!!! It almost looks like I told to write all the good things about our place- but you didn't even mention you would give me a rating... So I was really surprised and I am happy you liked it so much! Any time again you are very welcome!!!

Reviewed January 12, 2012

I stay in this place for 5 days now and will extend my stay, because I feel so good here. Martina and Tia are runing this place very well. I feel like staying with friends. They offer 2 cabins, one is an apartment with privat bathroom, the other has a shared bathroom. Both rooms are well sized, simple but nice decorated and the apartment has a privat entrance. The restaurant is incredible good (Tia is doing this amazing job!) Martina organizes the tours and is doing the service. They work together only with the best guides for the tours and I have been flashed by all of the nature tours I've done with them. I can recommend this place totaly and would come back always when I want to stay in Bahia Drake! :)

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank traveldiver106

Lucia I hope you come back one day to Drake Bay! And thank you very much for your review, unfortunately we closed the restaurant, but when you come back you may want to cook yourself something delicious in our kitchen. Saludos de Tia también!

Reviewed November 27, 2011

A nice, clean, place, owner/operator pleasant, we stayed only one night because it was during rainy season and the sewer backed up in the bathroom!! I would be willing to stay here again during dry season, reasonable priced!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
MartinaWegener, Owner at Martina's Place Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2012

Hello thank you so much for your positive review...and sorry about the rain-water-shower problem... So we wait for you to come back in the dry season :-)

Reviewed October 30, 2011

I live in Drake Bay and have a small B&B. This is the place I send our guests for dinner and-or lunch.

I also have eaten at Pura Vida Drake Bay several times. It is my favorite place in Drake Bay. The fish is fresh, the menu has a good variety. Sometimes I just want a good salad, this is the place! The owner is wonderful, as is her staff.

I have not stayed in the rooms, but they are both very clean and comfortable. The apartment gives you your privacy, with your own private bathroom, hot water also!

This place is definately "pura vida¨.

Room Tip: The apartment is a little more (very little more), but gives you a private bathroom.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank casitacorcovado

Hi Jamie, thanks for your review and sorry we closed one of your favorite restaurants...it needed just too much attention always. And our guests are happy now they can use the kitchen for self cooking :-)