“Memorable and Action-Packed!”

The Night Tour with Tracie The Bug Lady
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We just returned from Costa Rica and The Bug Tour was definitely one of the trip highlights. From the moment the tour began, Tracie and Gian were pointing out Netcasting Spiders, Trapdoor Spiders, various frogs, butterflies, even a Kinkajou! They have an awesome system where as one points out an insect and relays interesting facts/anecdotal stories to the group, the other is ahead scouting for other critters so you're always moving from one discovery to the next.

Tracie was great at making sure everyone in the group could see what was being demonstrated, and her and Gian's passion for what they do was infectious! I learned so much and would absolutely book this tour again if I return to Drake Bay.

If you send them an email after the tour, they even send a wrap-up report detailing the animals/insects that were spotted, alongside some other websites to visit or books to read to learn more about what was discussed that night.

The Night Tour is a MUST-DO for all ages.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

The tour is organized very well. Tracey works with her friend, who helps her to find the most interesting animals. I saw everything I wanted: cute gladiator and red eye tree frog, a big tarantula, sleeping hummingbird, and more! And the best is that they managed to show a snake, too! I was beginning to worry that I will not have a chance to see a snake, but luckily right at the end of the tour they found one!
Very informative, exciting, so a great tour!

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Did the bug lady tour with Tracie and Gian. Saw many bugs, frogs, birds and a opossum. It was a pleasure to spend time with people who love their jobs. The story about Tracie having 100 Orb spiders living freely in her house was freaky but shows how much she loves bugs! She gives lots of information about the wildlife in the area. Tracie also has a interesting web site. Just wish I seen a snake.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

After reading all of the reviews I was so excited about this and we weren't disappointed! We saw so many insects, spiders, snakes and frogs and Tracie and Gian knew an amazing amount about every single thing we saw. Their passion was infectious. It became so exciting, literally holding your breath waiting for what's next. We also saw 2 kinkajous and a mexican hairy porcupine (which they'd only ever seen 4 times ever!) Really can't recommend it enough.

I heard one child say to his dad with amazement 'I never knew nature could be so cool'. Says it all really!

Reviewed May 10, 2013

We did the bug tour as a group of 4. We had arrived in Drake Bay that day and were really excited about the bug tour. We'd heard such great things about it that I was slightly worried it would be a bit of an anti climax but it exceeded all our expectations. We all absolutley loved it and you must do it if you're there. The creatures you see at night are so different and it really makes you appreciate just how much wildlife is out there that just goes unnoticed unless you know where to look. Tracie and Gian are so knowledgable and so good at spotting the creatures at night, they could never disappoint. We saw everything we'd hoped for and more. We saw several species of frog, lizards, tarantulas, trap door spiders, a chunk-headed snake (my favourite!!), scorpions to name a few. We were even lucky enough to see a velvet worm, an extremely rare, 'living fossil' and I think Tracie and Gian were just as thrilled as us. We were very lucky to see this. The tour went really quickly even though it was 2 hours, we just enjoyed it so much we all could've happily stayed out there all night! It was so interesting and exciting and informative. They really know their stuff and I was thrilled with what we saw and learned. The spider 'eye shine' lesson literally changed our lives!! Walking at night will never be the same again. Loved it. There were some children on the tour with us who really enjoyed themselves and I think this tour is great for anyone of any age. I'd definitley do it again. It's a unique opportunity to peek inside the forest at night and learn about it by people who really care. They are so genuine and so enthusiastic, it makes it all the more enjoyable. I literally cannot rate it highly enough.