Tripadvisor
Fantastic time with Dive Master Ana

Reviewed December 2, 2019
Gen K
Singapore, Singapore
Peace of mind in every single aspect: From beginning to end

Reviewed October 11, 2019
Sightsee804708

Google
Recommended experiences in and around Drake Bay
from $127.09
from $46.36
from $2,975.00
More Info
All reviews cookies dive master between dives schools of fish cano island wilson ana cove surface gear stingrays visibility boat
Selected filters
Reviewed December 22, 2019 via mobile

The dive groups on the days I went were about 6 people, so a good size and not too big.
On busier days they run two boats, one for snorkelers and dive trainees and the other for experienced divers. On slower days they will run one with everyone (snorkelers, beginner divers, experienced divers) on the same boat. I had one of each.
Surface intervals were at a ranger station on the island. It was cool to get out and walk around the beach a bit. Although the island is mostly 100 foot tall rock wall with occasional beach patches so you can’t really go into the island, just walk on the beach for a bit instead. There was water, juice, cookies and fruit they brought to the island for the surface interval.
The dive masters were good and friendly and knew all about the sites.
They have a couple of different boats that seat ten to twelve I think (including crew) and one has a seating area in the front also. The boats are covered by an awning (not sure of the nautical term for that). The 45-60 minute ride out to the island can be choppy.
The diving itself was good. There were white tip reef sharks on every dive, many stingrays too. Several large turtles. Lots of eastern pacific tropical reef fish. Our group even spotted a whale spout while en route back from the island! There was also a school of hundreds of fish that swam through our dive group which was a neat experience.
The Visibility was normally 10 meters or so, so not that great.
Intermediate/Advanced divers will want to go to the Bajo del Diablo site, it was fantastic! There was a school of a hundred large barracuda and another school of a hundred Milfish! Plus lots of other schools of smaller fish. Visibility was better too at about 15 meters as it’s a pinnacle away from the island. The corals seemed healthier at this site too. I hope the local dive community discovers more sites like BdD then there would be better sites to explore.
The corals at Cano island did not appear as healthy as I’ve seen elsewhere (caveat that with the fact that I’m not a marine biologist and not really trained to make that assessment). Most sites were coral boulders and hills that were spaced between sandy areas (with dead bits of coral on the sand, sad to see) and they were covered in something that looked like brown moss so not as nice as those I’ve seen in the Caribbean (but hey it’s a different ecosystem so of course will be different).
They stored my gear in their gear room between dives and afterwards to dry out.
They set up the tanks with the gear before most of the dives, but I did a few myself too.
There was a $10 discount if you have all your own gear.
They did not appear to have nitrox available.

Date of experience: December 2019
2  Thank 964philipm
Reviewed December 2, 2019

My husband and I have been out of the water for more than 5 years now but Dive Master Ana was so good at keeping us calm in the ocean and helping us with our buoyancy.

We saw some dolphins on our way to Cano Islands and during both dives, we saw turtles, sharks, huge sting rays, and many schools of fish.

During the surface time between dives, we had cookies and drinks. And the lunch at Pirate Cove was so good too!

If you’re going to dive in Cano Island, I highly recommend Cano Divers with Dive Master Ana.

Date of experience: November 2019
1  Thank Gen K
Reviewed October 11, 2019

I highly recommend this company and not only for such a wonderful experience we had, also because the staff focuses on providing a good service at all the stages, from the booking until the end of the activity.

In our own experience, we contacted them at the beginning in order to find out certain aspects regarding the discover scuba diving activity. Very kindly Lilian cleared up all our doubts.

On the day of our booking, the weather conditions were not good enough and we were contacted by Lilian at first time in the morning to give us an update: The strong winds and the rain made serious difficulties for scuba diving. Also the Dive Master "Wilson" explained us that he could not run the risk as his priority is the safety of the divers.

Two days after, the conditions notoriously changed and, at last, we were able to start this unforgettable experience. Early morning we finally met Wilson at the beach before our departure to Isla del Caño. By listening his words you can clearly see that he is an experienced dive master and a friendly person too. In addition, you will feel that under the water his calmed aptitude is contagious and it will help you to enjoy this experience even more.

In our way to the island, we spotted a couple of whales with their baby, the captain of the boat immediately approached to them in order to allow us to see and take some pictures.

After the experience of seeing whales for the first time, and a detailed briefing at Isla del Caño beach, we headed towards the first location. Once in the water, Wilson ensured that all of us were ready before start the immersion. Gradually, and following his instructions, we went down to the bottom were we could observe the fauna and flora which is simply amazing. Was there were I saw one of my dreams fulfilled: stand close to a shark not being afraid of it. Soon, apart of the sharks, other species had arisen. All together simply made my day.

In a second immersion, we were taken to a second location, I think they called "The Garden". Indeed, that location looks like a natural aquarium in which we were surrounded by fishes and had lots of colorful animals and plants.

I believe that after all of this, the price we paid it is worth in comparison with the service given and the overall experience.

10 out of 10 for you guys... Well done all and thank you !!!

Date of experience: September 2019
1  Thank Sightsee804708
Reviewed August 16, 2019

If you are looking to dive in Isla del Caño, you must book a dive with Caño Divers. The dive master on my trip, Wilson, was so reassuring and calming in the water. We saw sharks, turtles, sting rays, and so many fish. It was lovely. He went above and beyond to ensure I had a great time. We also saw several whales on the way to and from the island :) Honestly one of the best days of my life!

Date of experience: August 2019
1  Thank allievans
Reviewed July 9, 2019

We had been out of the water for a while after a bad dive in the Galapagos. When we entered the water, my husband's panic ensued. Divemaster Ana was able to gently guide him down just 1m and then down further and beyond. She kept him by her side the whole time and made him feel comfortable and calm by the end of the first tank's dive and he was great during the second tank dive.

Their gear is great. Their professionalism is wonderful.

We saw so many amazing things: Sharks, including a beautiful pregnant reef shark, octopus, turtle, moray eels, sea snake, so many schools of fish, puffer fish, and dolphins!

I am so happy with Ana and Pirate Cove/Cano Divers ! Book with them!

Date of experience: July 2019