“Wonderful place to stay in Drake Bay!”
Review of Casita Corcovado

Casita Corcovado
Ranked #3 of 22 Drake Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 21, 2010

We moved to Casita Corcovado from another place in Drake Bay, which we weren't wild about. We're REALLY glad we did! What an awesome place to stay. Casita Corcovado is extremely clean, well maintained, and ideally located. Plus, Jamie and Gregorio are wonderful hosts. They not only told us about our accomodations, but also about the area, the birds, animals, plants, history ..... They are very familiar with the area and the information was quite helpful. Another really nice thing was that Gregorio and Jamie worked around our schedule. They made us breakfast when it worked for US, not them. Since our tours were at different times each day that was great! The rooms are bright, well furnished and have air conditioning which can be really nice after a long day playing in the sun. It was also nice to relax on the porch in the evening. They have hammocks and ample seating for guests, and when we needed a place to clean the giant tuna we caught, they accomodated us there too. We are really looking forward to our next stay at Casita Corcovado!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 27, 2010

We stayed here for 3 nights to explore Bahia Drake. Though we had a car in Costa Rica, we decided to take the boat from Sierpe to Corcovado, which we were so glad about. The boat trip itself is a great experience as you go through the mangroves and out onto the open sea.

Jamie met us as we got off the boat and drove us and our luggage the short distance to the house. There are 3 rooms which share one bathroom, though whilst we were there we pretty much had the place to ourselves. There is a fridge for use and a small kitchen, though Jamie cooks a lovely breakfast for you each day.

The rooms and bathroom are very basic but clean and comfortable, but what really makes this place a great place to stay is the location and the hosts.

Jamie and Craig were so helpful, showing us around the town and telling us all about the places and the residents. They booked all the trips for us (which were a bit overpriced in our opinion, but I think that is the same with all excursions at Bahia Drake). They woke us up each morning for our tours and bent over backwards to make such we were comfortable and had everything we needed to get the most from our stay.

Corcovado was a nice change from the tourism of Manuel Antonio (where we had been before). Here you could appreciate the more rugged and true beauty of Costa Rica. There was a lovely coastal trail, which we explored a little but which others we met had explored more and enjoyed thoroughly. The beach at Corcovado was not the most picturesque, but the beaches you could walk to along the trail were lovely when the tide was out.

The two restaurants within the town, both within an easy walking distance, provided tasty but cheap food.

We would thoroughly recommend Corcovado and whilst there are some expensive and luxurious hotels in the area they were some of the most expensive we came across on our whole trip and so we would definitely recommend Casita Corcovado as a much more affordable alternative.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 29, 2010

I can't emphasize enough what a wonderful time I had last week at Casita Corcovado! Jamie and Craig are wonderful hosts and go out of their way to make sure that all of your needs are taken care of. The house is located on a bluff overlooking the ocean. I had an ocean view room with a nice double bed. The rooms are immaculate and come with air conditioning and a fan. I never used the A/C and preferred to sleep with the windows open and the fan on. The shared tiled bathroom is also immaculate and has a huge stall shower with hot water on demand. Very nice! I looked forward every morning to having a freshly cooked hot breakfast at dawn when all the wildlife is coming alive. Jamie makes the fluffiest omelets ever! There was always fresh fruit, juice, and a pot of coffee as well. The house is located a short distance from the little village which has a small grocery store and a couple of restaurants. Upon arrival I went to the grocery store to stock up on supplies to make sandwiches for lunch throughout the course of my stay. There is a mini-fridge back at the house for the guests to use. An ice cold coke sure tasted good after a long day hiking the trails to the miles and miles of gorgeous deserted beaches. Drake Bay and the Osa Peninsula is a very special place and should be savored. Slow things down and take the time to really appreciate being surrounded by such natural beauty. I opted not to take all the tours offered and instead decided to discover things on my own. It was certainly the right decision for me. I looked forward every day to the hikes along the jungle trail to the beaches. I loved the capuchin monkeys I would see along the way. Jamie also gave me directions to a hidden waterfall which was a nice hike from the house. At night I usually went to the open air restaurant Jade Mar. I would sit at the bar and order cocktails and dinner at very reasonable prices. Taylor is a great bartender and makes a drink called the Strained Strawberry which is essentially a strawberry pina colada. Excellent! I always ordered fish (pescado) which was very delicious. There would be reggae playing on the sound system and an overall very relaxed, chill vibe. After dinner i always went back to the house to turn in early. It was very relaxing. On my last night there Jamie arranged for me to have a relaxing massage on the back patio. It was perfect!

One of the main reasons I came to Drake Bay was to go diving at Isla de Cano just off the coast. I'm a scuba diving instructor in California and i highly recommend diving with a local Padi instructor named Sandra. She is an amazing diver and will make your experience memorable. We came across a 3-4 m hammerhead cruising right past us at the Devil's Pinnacle site. Very special! Jamie and Craig know how to get in touch with Sandra to arrange diving. I highly recommend her!

The bottom line is that I've traveled all over the world and I wouldn't hesitate for a second to return to Casita Corcovado and Bahia Drake. I can't wait to return!

Pura Vida!

Greg

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed January 17, 2010

This was the favourite part of our travels in Costa Rica. Craig and Jamie's 'Casita Corcovado' had a big part of this. Not knowing what to expect, before our arrival, we were blown away by their warmth, knowledge and hospitality.

Our room was bright and clean, and the air-con was a great escape from the humid ocean air. Craig and Jamie know where all the good spots are in the little town, and will even book day trips / transportation; this is a plus if your Spanish is less than advanced!

In sum - Craig and Jamie are very personable and have a great spot down in Drake Bay. Three days was hardly enough - too bad we couldn't stay longer. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

J and C

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2009

Being hosted by Jamie and Gregorio has been a real pleasure. their honest attitude recomending the best options and prices, their warm care and their ability to appear when needed and disapear when you need to relax and hear the birds alone in your hammock made of those days a gift for me. Highly advisable for sure, specially now that Gregorio has a new boat!!

Carlos Huguet
Madrid
Spain

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed May 15, 2009

we had a great time staying with Gregorio and Jamie. they helped us with a broken down car, breakfast at 4am and dining reccomendations!!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 11, 2009

A friendly, community-oriented American couple rent out three rooms in their ideally located home at Drake Bay. They know what to see and do and make you feel like at home. They offer clean air-conditioned rooms at a reasonable price compared to the large adventure resorts there. Drake Bay was my favorite place in Costa Rica and Casita Corcovado my favorite lodging.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo