“Welcoming”
Review of Casita Corcovado

Casita Corcovado
Ranked #3 of 22 Drake Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Our stay with Jamie and Craig was wonderful ! We got a warm welcome down at the Beach as we arrived by Boat ! After settling into our cozy room, Jamie gave us a tour through the village and took care of us all through our 4 night stay. She booked tours for us and the Breakfast was delicious, no matter when you got up :) I loved the Hammocks, we stayed at a few places in Costa Rica and not every place has Hammocks, which should almost be a must ! The House was always clean and well looked after and Jamies and Craigs Company very enjoyable and fun! Craig did show me how to make Patacones and I will never forget it, it`s my favorite dish now and I make it whenever we have plantaines here in Canada.
It`s not the most luxurious place, but you are in a third world country, not Europe, so be prepared if you plan on traveling anywhere in Costa Rica. It was our last place we stayed in before leaving Costa Rica and we were sad not be able to stay longer ! I am planning on returning one day to Casita Corcovado and have not regret a moment there !

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
casitacorcovado, Owner at Casita Corcovado, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2012

Hi. Sorry for being late on my response.

Patacones, great, right? We had so much fun showing you the way to live the "tico" style.

Thank you for your review. We loved having you at the Casita, and PLEASE, do come back and visit.

Stay in touch.

Pura Vida,

Jamie y Gregorio

Reviewed May 10, 2012

My wife & I recently spent 4 nights at the Casita Corcovado and had a wonderful experience. As has been mentioned in many other posts, Craig & Jaime are outstanding hosts. It was as if I was staying with extended family members living as expats in Drake Bay (which is a more remote part of Costa Rica relative to other places we visited/saw). My breakdown:

LODGING
The cottage is a simple & very clean (I know for a fact that keeping a place clean in this environment & humidity is a challenge!). The cottage is small (3 bedrooms) but I do think that it lends a more personal feel to the interaction & service that you get from Jaime & Craig. The A/C in the rooms is VERY nice to have and we’d typically only need to run it during the night while we slept. The yard is beautiful; great for hanging out before dinner and listening to the birds come back to roost for the evening. The location is outstanding, within short walking distance to the main part of town and just up the hill from the water/beach. Sharing a bathroom was a bit of a concern for us but there were never any issues or challenges with this arrangement at all.

AMENETIES
Breakfast was very good. All the days we were there, Jaime prepped a variety of fruit, eggs, juice, etc. based on what was fresh. Craig & Jaime’s history in the catering business shined through! Fresh towels were provided every day (folded into various shapes with flowers on the bed). Potable water available all the time via a large water dispenser and a small refrigerator to keep beer and food if you decide to get them at the market in town. Extra little things that I NEED to mention are the frozen bottles of water Jaime provided to us when we went for a long hike/walk; large band-aids from a large scrape I got while exploring the rocks (I can be a little too adventurous for my own good sometimes); and freezer-chilled beer mugs for my Imperial Silver in the evenings.

TOURS/KNOWLEDGE
Jaime & Craig have done an outstanding job, as expats, in incorporating and involving themselves into the small town of Drake Bay. It’s for this reason that I feel that Casita Corcovado surpasses other choices in the area. Their interaction & knowledge of people in the town has resulted in them having a wealth of knowledge about the best tours, restaurants, happenings, etc. which makes it feel as if you’ve got someone looking out for you in whatever you decide to do for an activity. Jaime & Craig are gracious hosts and, as others have mentioned in previous posts, it was great sitting around in the evening to share the day’s stories/experiences and general thoughts (no pressure, I think if we didn’t feel like talking, we could just sit and lounge).

In summary, while there are many other places to choose while in Drake Bay, I’d highly recommend Casita Corcovado. We did see some of the “fancier”, more expensive places but be forewarned that many were outside of town and not in convenient locations if you want to experience the local Tico life in the town of Drake Bay. Given the small size of Casita Corcovado, I did feel that we got more personal service that had much more of a “family feel”.

You probably don’t have family in Drake Bay but with hosts like Craig & Jaime, you’ll sure feel like you do.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
casitacorcovado, Owner at Casita Corcovado, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2012

Hi you two! Thanks for taking time out to post a review. We really appreciate it.

What a breath of fresh air you two are. We had so much fun with you, sharing in our little bit of paradise.

Glad to hear you made it home safely. Please DO keep in touch. We miss you already!!

Pura Vida,

Jamie y Craig

Reviewed April 25, 2012

Casita B&B was a very convenient and relaxing place to stay in Drake Bay. Jaime and Craig were awesomes hosts, and new very well what travellers come to expect and are as helpful as can be with planning, getting there, tours, and departures! What we really enjoyed was sitting around in the evening on the patio and chatting it up with Jaime, Craig, the other guests, and the visitors that would pop in to say hi.

One of the huge benefits of staying at Casita Corcovado was their ability to connect you with a tours guides that specialize in different tours around the Jungle, and on the water (ie. Photo guides, amphibian guides, . In our case, we were able to go on a really early morning Jungle tour where we were lucky enough to see the most wildlife we saw in any one day. You'll probably have to check with them before you go though, to be sure of the guides availability.

Other Pros: A/C, Great breakfasts, great access to the village, Safe, outdoor shower for washing off sand and gear, WiFi

Cons: Shared bath, the nearby beach isn't great as the main boat beach

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
casitacorcovado, Owner at Casita Corcovado, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2012

Hey Goobey! Thanks for writing a review. Sitting around the porch talking about all your great ideas was great fun. Glad you enjoyed your stay here, please keep in touch. Our paths WILL meet again. Pura Vida.

Reviewed April 8, 2012

My 15 year old son and i recently returned from a 4 night stay at Casita Corcovado. The bedrooms are simple, but they have AC (rare in the area) which is great as it was pretty hot during our stay. The bathroom is fine, but the shower is not great. The very temperamental shower-head made it difficult to find a comfortable temperature and the water pressure was very weak. This made it challenging to clean off well after a long day of activities. Breakfast was great and served at whatever time was best for us. Craig took us out on a fishing/snorkeling adventure and we caught several huge fish. To top it off Jamie cooked the fish for that evening's dinner and it was great! They also helped us organize our activities and after the "Jamie Tour" of Drake Bay we were well aquatinted with the town. Despite the fact that Jamie and Craig are "Gringos" (from the US), they are like "Ticos" (locals) in the community. You will never find more gracious hosts who are willing to do anything to make your stay more comfortable!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

Thanks for your review. That WAS a great day out on the water, your son catching those fish. We had a great time with you, and please come back! Pura Vida

Reviewed April 8, 2012

This is the ONLY place I found that has AC, a safe, a fan, pillow top beds, hot water, fridge, clean, and with VERY helpful hosts that are great to hang out with while relaxing in the hammocks with a glass of wine. I enjoyed myself very much and will go back for sure! They will set up and recommend any tour you want & give you very HELPFUL hints as to how to get there, where to park, etc. I am in my early 40s and this is the ONLY place I would recommend to my parents because it has all the "Perks" of a home while being emerged in the jungle wildlife. Their bird are VERY spoiled and therefor are in the yard all the time. Beautiful! :) STAY HERE!!

Room Tip: There is no pool but it is right near the ocean or river....so you don't need one. All 3 rooms a...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 11, 2012

We are a 50-something couple who enjoyed our 5-night stay at Casita Corcovado. Jamie and Craig are interesting conversationalists and extremely helpful and accommodating hosts who helped us out so many times with tours, arrangements, directions, suggestions, and breakfast at whatever hour we needed it! Even when our boat taxi left at 5:15 a.m., a hot breakfast was ready before departure. This is just one example of their above-and-beyond attitude in service (all other B&Bs we used in Costa Rica had rigid breakfast hours).

The single bathroom for 3 double rooms didn't seem to cause any issues and we really enjoyed meeting other guests from all over the globe in the home's living area. Everything was kept very clean and tidy, with fresh flowers and a new towel arrangement on our bed daily. The bed slept very well. Storage space is limited, so it's best to pack light. We only needed small backpacks which served us well here. The full breakfasts were varied with many choices offered and always included tasty local fruit.

Thanks for a great time, Jamie & Craig! And thanks for accommodating my sulfite allergy with your home cooking! We have some great memories of Drakes Bay, including our stay at your casita.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
casitacorcovado, Owner at Casita Corcovado, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2012

Hey, Sally. I didn't realize your middle name was Sue. Sally Sue, Jamie Sue. Thank you for your review. We had a great time with you and your hubby in our house. At first, your dietary restrictions scared me. After you arrived, I found out you were actually quite easy to feed! lol You gave us a lot of good information about better eating. We will carry this forward. Hope you have time in the future to visit us again. Pura vida, Jamie

Reviewed March 2, 2012

Jamie and Craig provide excellent service for their guest in this 3 bedroom / 1 bath house. The place is impeccably clean, there are no insects inside other than the occasional mosquito (other tourists complained of ants and roaches in much more expensive places), and AC in every room! That makes their place a great value. They were very helpful in arranging our tours, and made us a great breakfast every morning at whatever hour we needed to eat to make it to the tour. Great location: a short walk from "downtown" with the store and restaurants and from the beach.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BalageTravels
casitacorcovado, Owner at Casita Corcovado, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2012

Thank you for your review. Glad you made it home safely. We had a wonderful time conversing with you both. We might just surprise you and take you up on your offer to visit you in Miami!! Pura Vida.