“Natural Relaxation”
Review of Finca Maresia

Finca Maresia
Ranked #1 of 21 Drake Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 16, 2014

If you want to get away from the hustle and bustle, this is the place. Miguel takes care of his guests with a personal touch. You'll want to have all three meals/day at Finca. From the common area we read, played cards, relaxed in hammocks, watched and listened to monkeys, and took pictures of parrots and McCaws.

Room Tip: I think they are all good. With family, we had two adjacent.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank 1D_Vo

Reviewed March 12, 2014

There are very few places any of us go or stay where the host is committed to educate as well as provide a level of service that is astounding. The rest of the reviews here all true - a beautiful place, amazing getaway - but our week here was about Juan and the almost sense of awe that the local community holds that man in - If Juan wants something for a guest, it gets done. But that is because beyond taking care of the guests Juan takes care of an extensive local network that helps provide the adventures we all desire. The only 4 who seem to ignore Juan are two cats and two dogs. I also learned something I never knew from Tracey, a naturalist who guided a night walk in the forest with a sense of wonder she transmits amazingly well. Put a headlamp on, the green emerald sparkle you see are the reflections from spider's eyes.

A beautiful week of diving, hiking, exploring, meeting new people from all over the globe and no wi-fi during dinner!

Room Tip: Stay in the cabins
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 11, 2014

My daughter and I stayed at Finca Maresia in February as part of our wild life adventure in Costa Rica. It provided an ideal base for exploring the national park and beaches of the Osa Peninsula. Finca Maresia itself is very comfortable and provides plenty of opportunity to experience wildlife without venturing too far. Our cabin was nestled at the edge of the forest where we could watch hummingbirds and brilliant morpho butterflies feeding. This was all from the hammock on our balcony.
Juan is a great host providing a relaxed and friendly place for guests to gather over dinner to share experiences. The food was great.
A return visit is a must!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Finca Maresia is a little piece of heaven here on Earth. It situated on the top of a hill with beautiful views all over. The rooms are lovely, beautifully designed and taken care off. The showers in particular are quite something! Juan is such a lovely and charismatic host! He will do his utmost to make sure you have a brilliant time while at Drake. He will help you book your tours, advise you on walks and hikes as we'll as give you lots of other local info. Juan is the Man!

The thing that makes Finca Maresia stand out from the rest is the evenings. There is a lovely risen porch where you can sit, relax and have a drink while watching the sunset and waiting for dinner. Everyone has dinner together at Maresia and it's so nice to meet everyone and exchange stories!

Make sure you don't miss taking a quad ride with Chete!

I'll definitely be back!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 8, 2014

My partner and I loved our stay at Finca Maresia!

The grounds are amazing, and the common area and cabin were wonderfully designed.

The cabin was partially open-air, and mosquito nets hang over the beds for bug protection overnight - I was amazed how loud the jungle can be at night, but after a little bit of tossing and turning the first night, my brain settled into sleeping to the sounds.

We had all of our dinners at Finca Maresia - the food was amazing, Juan did a great job of accommodating for my dietary restrictions, and it was really nice to spend time with the other guests during dinner.

Finca Maresia is a bit of a hike from the rest of town - after a day of hiking, it took us 40 minutes to get from town back to our cabin, so it's important to plan for that if you're exploring on your own.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 6, 2014

My friend and I stayed here for 4 nights in January and had an absolutely amazing time. It was the highlight of our trip in Costa Rica. Finca Maresia is definitely not easy to get to, but it is most definitely worth the trip! It is set up in the hills just above Drake Bay. There are a couple ways to get there, but my friend and I drove. It was a long drive from San Jose and not for the faint of heart. We spent hours on unpaved roads and crossed rivers in the dark (you NEED AWD). It was an incredible drive and worth every minute.

Finca Maresia itself is absolutely stunning. The woodwork and buildings are modern, clean, and super sleek. The main area is a huge deck that overlooks the grounds, I loved spending time there reading and enjoying the meals. The dinners are cooked by Juan himself and are incredible! Such an amazing community feel. My friend and I stayed in the smallest room that Finca Maresia has to offer and were very comfortable. It looks like there are cabins that are much bigger - but for our budget we were happy in a smaller more modest room. The mattresses are also excellent, and given our subsequent travel around Costa Rica, good mattresses are hard to come by!

I look forward to making this trek again to see Juan and Finca Maresia.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We spent 5 days here in early February. Juan took great care of us. The view from the common area deck is gorgeous, and we were able to see howler monkeys, toucans and scarlet macaws from the deck. The meals were delicious, and I would recommend eating in for dinner. We went out in town one night and unfortunately got sick from the in town food.

Room Tip: Basic Rooms, which are less expensive, are simple and the nearby shared bathrooms are beautiful. Ho...
Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple