“Mixed Bag.....”

Ranked #1 of 19 Drake Bay B&B and Inns
Chicago
“Mixed Bag.....”
Reviewed August 24, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Finca Maresia for three nights on our trip to Drake Bay. I'd say it was a pretty mixed bag. On the one hand, I liked the relative seclusion of the property and the bungalows were interesting. The open shower in the bathroom was quite unique and fun. We took the critter night tour and a horseback riding tour, both were great. The food was very good. On the other hand, I don't think I have ever been so HOT in my life. No air conditioning in the bungalow, no breeze, no pool, and no ocean access made it impossible to cool down. I know Costa Rica is hot, but it was so stifling I couldn't sleep. I don't care for communal dining, but that's my own problem. Lastly, I was reprimanded pretty harshly in front of the entire dinner table and all its guests for feeding my left over chicken to the dog on the deck. (I stood up and walked the chicken over to the dog, I didn't feed it from my chair.) Apparently you are "never, ever EVER" supposed to feed the animals. That's fine, but someone could have told me in advance, or, kindly informed me of the policy. It was humiliating and brought me to tears. An apology was made to me the next day, which was appreciated.

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Kittypatrol

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Polish first
Reviewed August 22, 2011

We stayed in a standard bungalow... you would like it if you are into modern & minimalist design. Not too much space in the rooms, but there is a private deck with hammocks, as well as a communal deck where you can relax and socialize with other guests. Having a safe in each room is very convenient. The family style dinners create a very nice atmosphere for conversations with fellow travelers. Miguel was very helpful in setting up tour arrangements.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank TravelingFamily714
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We stayed at Finca Maresia For 3 nights and it was the best hotel we have been in Costa Rica. We couldn't believe in such an amazing place for such a low price!
Very nice and clean rooms right in the middle of the jungle. You can have a shower watching the monkeys climbing from tree to tree.

Juan was a very nice host, and was taking care of everything (hikes, tours, helping people getting to and from the hotel).

The atmosphere at the hotel was really nice and relaxing with all the guests gathered at dinner time and sharing lots of experiences and cultures.

Thank you very much, Juan for those days and congratulations for your hotel. We highly recommend Fnca Maresia.

Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed August 20, 2011

This was the place we liked the best while staying in Costa Rica for 2 1/2 weeks. If you like nature and don't mind rustic/basic (but very clean!), this is a great place. We stayed in a "superior bungalow" with open bathroom and shower (towards the jungle). The finca is a bit away from the coast and "town" (the ~ 20 houses or so), about 30-45 min walk to each. But that bit of remoteness makes it also special. From your private porch and hammock, facing the jungle, you can watch all kinds of amazing birds stopping by on adjacent trees, like the Scarlett Macaque, Toucans, and many others I didn't know. Expect to get waken up early by them and howler monkeys.

Room Tip: We stayed in
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 19, 2011

We loved our stay at Finca Maresia. The rooms are simple but very clean and tastefully designed. Each room is set in a cabin with a balcony overlooking the forest. Each balcony is equipped with hammocks and we spent a day watching the wildlife pass by (monkeys, macaws, parrots, toucans and more!). Breakfast is delicious and filling. Dinners are communal, four-course affairs. The food is good (and local!). Miguel arranges tours with incredibly knowledgeable local guides. It is a 15 minute hike down into the town which is the only drawback. This is one of the only mid-budget options in the area. We loved our stay here and hope to be back. PS- The lunch at the restaurant next door is DELICIOUS!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Sandnes, Norway
Reviewed August 15, 2011

If you consider taking the trip down to Drake Bay, this is the place to stay! Breakfast and dinner is served at a shared terrace where you can meet everyone that is staying at the hotel.

1 Thank S0ndre
Enschede, The Netherlands
Reviewed July 18, 2011

We’ve spent four nights at Finca Maresia. Great Lodge! We’ve slept three nights in a standard room and our fourth night in a shared bathroom. Both rooms were great and clean. It’s located in the jungle and you’ll hear howler monkeys in the morning! Actually on top of our room there were scarlet macaws, eating the fruits of the trees that were above our bungalows. The wildlife is awesome here! Close to the shared bathroom rooms at dawn there are many different kinds of frogs. From Finca Maresia we’ve visited Sirena Ranger station, a must see. And we did a horse-riding tour. The owner Juan advised us both trips, it was awesome. You should also walk to the beach from Finca Maresia, is a walk of 30 minutes. Also try the restaurant behind Finca Maresia across the bridge.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Drake Bay
#8 of 8 in Drake Bay
Drake Bay Getaway Resort
Drake Bay Getaway Resort
#1 of 8 in Drake Bay

Been to Finca Maresia? Share your experiences!