“Paradise”

Waterfall Villas
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Dominical
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 10, 2010

Just returned home yesterday. I am speechless. I have tears in my eyes right now. If you want paradise, bliss, soaring health, and discover the true meaning of who you are. Please visit this wonderful place. This was not a vacation but a tremendous learning experience for my family and I.

Much love to you Fateh and Franco. You guys are wonderful beings of light. I am making plans through the internet to return as i speek.
Pam

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed April 6, 2010

We were told the drive from the airport to our destination would take 4 hours. We flew into the airport at 5:00, the sunsets at 6:00. Connect the dots. The roads are dark; we were told to avoid "Cerro de la Muerte" AKA the "Hill of death" and make sure to have a GPS. OK, done and done.
The drive was dark and long, the GPS moody, and the locals seem to enjoy sitting on the sides of the roads. However as we reached the property, and saw a path of lit torches we knew it was worth the drive.
This place really is a tucked away gem. The villas are clean, styled right and back up to waterfalls. From our balcony we viewed Morpho Butterflies the size of my hand. On my first run up the hiking trail I encountered a Toucan flying over my head. Jesus Christ Lizards did indeed walk on water. This place did have a magical feel to it. The hosts Fateh and Franco Ying/Yang their way around your stay; giving you as much attention or privacy as you would prefer. My wife who is a yoga instructor loved the outdoor morning Yoga with Fateh. Situated on a flat rock surface next to the trickle of the waterfalls, even this yoga agnostic had to join in. Our family took the extended off site waterfall (swim) hike with Franco. I would highly recommend it. Franco will have you eating things off trees you never even knew existed, and they taste great! He also set us up for some great horse back riding on the beach, and recommended zip-lining that our young girls could handle with aplomb.
All in all, in our many years of travel, we would put this stay on our top ten list. Kudos to our hosts, you've created a diamond in the rainforest.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 1, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Waterfall Villas from March 16 to the 24th and had the most wonderful vacation ever. This was my 40th Birthday present which was absolutely amazing! Fateh and Franco are the owners and creators of this small eco-luxury resort nestled in a rainforest paradise. They do a superb job with every aspect of a healthful, healing, therapeutic and fun-filled holiday.

We are both vegans and I am a raw vegan chef which was one of my main reasons for choosing the Waterfall Villas. We were in heaven with the amazing food prepared by Fateh and her lovely assistants. Fateh is an amazing raw food chef and has studied with Eric Rivkin who resides part-time in Costa Rica! We ate gourmet raw dinners and desserts every night with our raw food package. Some people ate cooked vegan meals and some had fish dinners. So there was something for everyone to enjoy. All the food is fresh, local and organic. We also enjoyed mouth watering tropical fruits for breakfast.

Everyone ate at one big table and it was fun discussing the food and meeting new people. It's not often that we get to meet so many healthy like-minded people while on vacation! I really enjoyed the relaxed yet classy dinner and breakfast experience.

Our villa was so amazing and beautiful. We were in the Butterfly Dream Villa. Franco and Fateh built these villas themselves and put their heart and soul into making them so wonderful. Franco explained how everything in each room was designed using Feng Shui philosophies (I have to admit I need to learn more about this myself). My husband and I re-did our whole house a few years ago so we can appreciate all the details and amazing workmanship that was put into the villas. Even the stonework done in the shower and bathroom area was fit for a king! The artwork was also amazing with paintings and sculptures in our villa. Fateh is a very talented artist and did the butterfly paintings.

And I also have to mention that our own balcony overlooking the stream and rainforest was so soothing. After certain activities we did during the day, it was a pleasure to relax and read on the balcony before dinner and enjoy the sounds of the rainforest.

The waterfalls on the property are gorgeous and so special, even during the dry season. There are a couple decks built for sitting by the waterfalls. The property also has some short but lovely hiking trails where we spotted toucans. (go in the morning or evening to see the toucans)

I love how the Waterfall Villas are owned and run by Fateh and Franco and their involvement with all aspects of the resort. Franco was very helpful in advising and organizing our adventures, hikes and tours. On Saturday, he took all of us staying at the villas out on the most amazing hike to the biggest waterfall in the south pacific region of Costa Rica. I highly recommend this one if you are in good hiking shape (bring decent hiking shoes).

Fateh shared her practice of Kundalini Yoga in the mornings on this large flat rock located right next to the stream and waterfalls. It was my first time doing this beautifully style of yoga and we both loved it. If you don't have an early morning tour or activity, don't miss Fateh's morning yoga. It is the perfect way to begin your day! Whether you are a yoga newbie or a seasoned guru, this will be a lovely experience.

Normally by the end of a vacation, we can't wait to return back home. But we felt sad when we had to leave. We both really loved being at the Waterfall Villas and loved Costa Rica. Even though there are still so many places we want to see in the world, we'll definitely be back here again someday! We are missing Fateh, Franco, our new friends and Costa Rica!

Here are a few misc comments & advice:

1-The weather was very hot and humid (around 90F everyday). Even at night it's still very warm. We packed some long sleeve shirts and even a couple light weight jackets for the evening and didn't need them at all. We wished we had packed more shorts and tank tops. So bring all your hot weather clothes if you come in the high/dry season like March.

2-We were shocked at how we didn't need bug spray while hiking in the jungles. But if bugs love you, bring some of the natural herbal bug repellents. Fateh said she brings back the natural stuff from the US

3- Surfing is great! Take a lesson! But make sure you buy long surf shorts to protect your knees and upper thighs from chaffing.

4-Use the highest spf sunscreen you can find and protect your face. It's so important to be mindful of the sun.

5-If you can afford a really nice camera, I highly recommend it! You'll see lots of animals and wildlife. Put it on a credit card if feasible as you'll be bummed like us with only a simple digital camera....Next time in Costa Rica we will have a really good camera with a telephoto lens for the macaws, toucans, monkeys, etc!

6-Take the time to learn a little Spanish if you can. While you can get by without knowing the language, the Costa Ricans appreciate it if you try and make an effort. We are going to be taking Spanish classes as we felt badly not knowing a second language.

Reviewed March 25, 2010

“Rejuvenation of mind body and spirit”
Surrounded by the elements of Mother Nature Cascada Farallas is a playground for the senses. The grounds are plush colorful and relaxing. Water gently flowing over the rocks during yoga/meditation is perfect. Listening to the wild life in their natural habitat and never knowing for sure what may next cross your path is always a mystery. The aromatic smells of Fateh’s gourmet meals lingering in the air is a real treat.
We were content to stay on the property and explore at our leisure enjoying the tranquil ambiance of the jungle. Although no worries if you are looking for adventure and excitement there is plenty of that too. A hike to Nauyaca Waterfalls is a must. A fairly challenging hike but well worth the effort.
Cascada Farallas is a magical place! The food is fabulous, the grounds are beautiful! The energy is peaceful.

Reviewed March 23, 2010

We came in the end of the rainy season and happened to drive by their entrance. We pulled in to paradise and the owners were very welcoming. We stayed there two nights and wished we had found it earlier. wonderful place to sit and watch the blue morph butterflies glide over the creek beside the villas. An absolute dream and can't wiat to return! We loved it!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 15, 2010

Waterfall Villas is everything it was touted to be on the website. If you are looking for peace, renewal, a nurturing treat for the senses and a balm for you nerves, this is the place. Your hosts, Franco and Fateh, make you feel so welcomed it's as if you are guests in their home. Love and peace go into the food, the decor, the ambiance, the hikes, the yoga and the well being of their guests. I came here knowing I'd be disconnected from the media, television, cell phones and other "noise", but I didn't know how easily I would slip into this world and dread the return to the fast pace of my daily life back home. At Waterfall Villas you are serenaded by the natural sounds of waterfalls, birds and frogs. The food is wonderful, your skin glistens from the constant moisturizing effect of the rain forest, your body slows down and says "thank you". Franco led a vigorous hike to the large waterfall, where we swam, meditated and ate a picnic lunch. Fateh led morning Kundalini yoga next to the waterfalls. Dinner among the guests was conducive to warm conversation and bonding over the experience. Both Fateh and Franco are very knowledgeable about Costa Rica, healthy lifestyles, ecology and art, and are very eager to share with you. All tours are arranged by Franco, and are within short taxi rides, as is the beach town of Domenical. You can book this vacation with confidence, knowing you are getting just what you are promised!

Reviewed March 11, 2010

I have just returned from a wonderful week at Waterfall Villas. Everything on the web site is completely accurate. The hosts are so very approachable. Fateh is a wonderful yoga leader and Franco is Costa Rica's nature ambassador. Just in case you are wondering, can a guest who is not deeply involved with yoga enjoy their stay. I am stating unequivocally yes! Our Dragonfly room was serene, tastefully decorated, and clean every day upon our return from our days activities. Our meals thoughtfully and healthily presented, and the natural water flowing outside the room was magical. I enjoyed bird watching, the amazing, but rigorous, hike led by Franco to a major waterfall, nearby dolphin watching, and easy trips to local parks and beaches. And when I simply wanted to sit quietly and read by the their falls, I could. It is a different experience, but that is exactly how it is advertised. So...I give WaterFall Villas a complete thumbs up for we went home completely relaxed.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dominical
Villas Alturas
Oxygen Jungle Villas
Oxygen Jungle Villas
#2 of 13 in Uvita
TikiVillas Rainforest Lodge & Spa

Been to Waterfall Villas? Share your experiences!