“Average Costa Rica beach hotel”
Review of Hotel Domilocos

Hotel Domilocos
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Dominical
Reviewed January 17, 2010

We reserved a room for one night here to rest up on our return drive from the Osa Peninsula to San Jose. Dominical is a a lively little surfer town. I wasn't able to check out any of the other lodging choices besides the hostel next door. After walking through town we chose the restaurant at the hotel at had a great dinner. The breakfast buffet was good too. The room we had was basic and there was some noise from other guests in the early evening but it quieted down later. There was a slight sewer oder in the bathroom, but that is not uncommon. We just kept the door closed. Very adequate for a one-night stay. The owner and the desk clerk were both friendly and helpful.

Reviewed January 17, 2010

We’ve been traveling to Dominical for many years and always bounced around the hotels in the area. A bit dingy and out of date, we were never quite satisfied with the hotels in Dominical. So when we heard Domilocos opened, we were very willing to give it a try. It’s become our hotel of choice when in Dominical! The rooms are clean and spacious, the food in the restaurant is good and it’s within walking distance to the beach and town.

For the past few years we’ve been staying there for our annual journey to Dominical, so we’ve become friendly with the owners. Pleasant, accommodating and proud of Costa Rica, especially Dominical, they are always willing to share their knowledge about the area and the places that are a must visit.

For the price, it’s the best hotel in area.

Reviewed January 10, 2010

I recently stayed at Hotel Domilocos after reading a bad review on this website. I found the rooms to be the cleanest of anywhere in the southern region. The food at the restaurant was incredible. The flavors and wine selection-5 star in my opinion.Check out the Fusion brand selection as it was delightful.I would also recomend the Filet Mignon with ppper sauce and a side of the 3 cheese sauce! The rooms were clean, HUGE bathrooms and TV in the one I stayed in.Price was the best for what I got on my vaction. I highly recomend checking this place out if you make it down to Dominical.Ok back to reality-thanks to everyone who made my trip great in Cosa Rica : )

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 2, 2010

This is a great hotel! We stayed here for a week and would have stayed longer but our vacation time was over. The rooms are clean and well appointed. The front desk staff are friendly, helpful and accomodating. The owner and his wife are very friendly and really go out of their way to make you feel welcome and taken care of. The restaurant is excellent, the food is top notch, and the service is good. I have no complaints, this hotel and town was fun to stay in. The beach is beautiful and is just a short walk from the hotel. I found it good value for the money and would stay again!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed December 23, 2009

Well when we checked in everything seemed great, the hotel had a cool look and feel and it was definitely one of the cleanest hotels in the area. BUT the owner is possibly the rudest persons I have ever met.

After a nice diner in town we decided to have some drinks in the hotel Bar/Restaurant. We walked in and sat on some couches they had in the corner and told the server we just wanted drinks, and ordered a few beers. So they come and we are sitting and talking having a perfect time; after a few minurtes, the server brings us bread and butter. Now, it seemed a little strange since we had only ordered drinks, but figured that were being being treated extra nice as the restaurant was very nice and fancy. So we try the bread and continued to socialized amongst ourselves. After a few minutes more, the server brings a small plate with one chicken kabob and some peanut sauce, very good. Now we had not ordered it so we figured they were giving us a sample of there food to get us to order more. Now, two days before this in Hermosa Beach about an hour and half north, we went to a bar and as soon as we sat down we were given a sample plate of fried fish and ceviche, which was free and meant to wet ones appetite. So we figure maybe this a common practice in Costa Rica and we ate the chicken Kabob. So we continue on drinking and hanging out when after a few minutes another dish is brought out, this time a plate of pasta with shrimp alfredo. Now this time we are more reluctant and we expressed our confusion to the server who smiled and gave us a thumbs up, then hands us each a salad plate so we can sample it, we do. So two bites in a man walks up and stands over us for minute then just sits down and asks in a rude tone "Where did you get that food?!" we responded the server brought and how we thought it was a sample of what the restaurant had to offer. He then exclaims how this is not our order and how we have to pay for it! Now I dont think we should have to pay for it we did not order it, when we entered the Bar we clearly stated we were only there to drink, and we were not sitting at a table but in the corner on some couches. So after some arguing we find out this individual is the hotels owner and seems to feel that it is out fault his staff made a mistake. In the end I agreed to pay for half of what we had eaten. For me it was not about the money just the principle, and I agreed to give them money because I wanted to end it and get back to drinking, but when I tried to pay they would not give me the bill so I left $80 on the bar and we went to our rooms. The Owner was so crazy a young female journalist traveling with us was actually scared for her life so we decided to pay for the hotel and leave. We were not charged for the rooms.

The most amusing part of the whole thing is the names The Hotel DomiLOCOs and the ConFusione Restaurant. We should have read the signs, crazy and confusing!.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank Capt_Holliday
Reviewed December 16, 2009

We stayed four nights although we only wanted to stay one night.
The rooms are very clean, and the A/C works.
The breakfast is very good, a lot of food.
The staff is very friendly, and most of them speak English.
The restaurant is great, food very good, and the live music was fantastic.
The only thing I didn't like was the weather, it was raining a little too much.
Next year we'll go back, also to Domilocos, but not during the rainy season.

Reviewed December 7, 2009

All my time in the hotel was great. The owner Mike went out of his way to provide personalized and excellent service. The room was clean, and fresh linen was provided every day.

The restaurant attached to the hotel, Confusione, was superb. I cannot say enough good things about the place. The tapas style is a treat, and really brings dining to an intimate level with friends.

The food was always fresh and excellent. The dishes are easily on par with 5 star restaurants throughout North America. There is also something for every palate. The staff are always really helpful and happy to help in any way at all.

There was an excellent selection of wines, and Mike is only too happy to help with that.

I am going back in the future.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo