“Not bad”
Review of Hotel Domilocos

Hotel Domilocos
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Dominical
Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

$50 per night including breakfast. Our room was clean but bathroom always had a sewerage smell. Bed was a bit squeaky but pretty comfortable. It was definitely nice having aircon. Breakfast is either buffet or not depending on how many people are staying there. Service at breakfast on our first morning (not buffet) was terrible - we sat down before 2 other tables but they were both served before us & had all finished & left before we ate. We had to go ask the kitchen if they were still bringing our food & discovered they didn't even know we needed food - I have no idea what the waitress was doing. The next morning was buffet & it was much better. One advantage of staying here was tagging along with Dylan from Sunset Surf when he took people out for surf lessons - for $5 each he drove us to surf spots Dominicalito & The Point & provided water, pineapple & homegrown bananas. Dylan's really nice & seemed like a great surf teacher.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank amaanda
There are newer reviews for Hotel Domilocos

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Clean room and good A/C. Having been to Costa Rica over 30 times in the last 9 years I realize things are more relaxed than the US.This was my second time , I stayed there a few years ago before construction was complete. They have come a long way and continue to make improvements. I didn't appreciate the stupid dogs either but it's Costa Rica! The owners were very helpful and nice. I'll stay there again.

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms are quieter
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I recently stayed 5 nights here as part of a surf camp trip and was very happy overall. The staff were all really friendly and helpful and the room was very clean and spacious. The hotel is conveniently located only a few meters from the beach, and a short walk to the main street where the stores and restaurants are located. It was probably a little on the pricey side, but if you're in Dominical without a car and don't want to stay in a hostel then I don't think there were too many other decent options. The breakfast was good too, and wifi worked well except that I didn't quite have reception inside my room (at the end of the corridor). A/C and hot water were also fine.

Reading some of the other reviews, I think that some people have unrealistic expectations about what one should expect in a tropical beach location in a developing country. The people who call this place a "dump" have obviously not traveled too much beyond their comfort bubble, because that is a pretty ridiculous claim in my opinion. For example:
- The bed was definitely not the most comfortable I've ever slept on, but I didn't notice the dramatically loud squeaking that others reported.
- There are a lot of cats and dogs hanging around, but they mostly were just lying around quietly and didn't really bother my sleep at all.
- Admittedly the reception does smell of dog, but I didn't notice any obvious sewage smells that others mentioned. I sat in the courtyard daily and was never bothered by bad odors.
- The reception staff could speak perfect English, so not sure why others had issues with them.

Altogether I enjoyed my stay and would recommend Domilocos to others.

Pura vida.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank etb2102
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

I recognize a lot in the critics of other travelers. The front office is limited helpful, the reception smells of dog and you are waken by barking dogs in the morning. The rooms are spacious though very dark. The breakfast buffet is nice.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Miegie
Reviewed January 31, 2013

This room was clean, however there were two issues that are unacceptable. The bed was horrible! It made so much noise on every movement that sleep was impossible. And there are times when the smells of this place ( sewer ) are really bad. Cats and dogs making noise all night! It just was not a good experience for me.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Jeff P
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Very nice property and very short walk to beautiful beach. Be prepared with camera for spectacular SUNSETS just a block away. Hotel is well designed, clean and comfortable.
Rooms are well appointed and clean with private bath. The Restaurant is fantastic and
the menu is very creative. Wonderful breakfast starts your day off right. I found eveyone on staff to be very friendly and helpful. I like visiting Dominical for a couple of beach days every month and know I will stay only here in the future. Great Place. ENJOY. Pura Vida !
John B. Costa Rica.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank jbanks2020
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Never and I mean never stay at this Dump.. They have the worse customer service..NONE, until you pay your bill. They are happy to take your money but they Don't even ask how your visit was.. They don't care. The lobby area smells like dirty wet dog all the time, even when the dogs are not in the room.
The towels are ruff and small, sheets are either so thin that you have to look twice to see if there is one on the mattress and have holes or they are so ruff and itchy that you can barely stand to lay on them..I would have to get up after just a few hours and put tons of lotion on again just to bare laying on them.
The beds were so noisy that every time you moved it woke you up and the other person in the room and someone was always moving trying to get comfortable.. Who ever heard of bamboo slats for a bed? Worst beds ever. Guess you could say Very Loud Squawking Shock you awake Beds. Thank goodness I brought my own pillow!! Because the ones they have are BAD!
The beautiful spa you see the picture of, is used as a kiddy pool for the owners kids.. They are either filling it up with a water hose or draining the slug out of it, which drains out to the parking area which is in the front of the hotel, which creates a muddy mess for you to have to walk in
all the time.
The room had a faint smell of sewage all the time.. The toilets were bubbling and making noise, but mostly it was the shower drain that was making all the racket at all hours. The sink was very slow to drain most of the time.
It would of been nice to have a chair in the room to sit on. It was hard to sit on the low beds that sunk even lower.
The room was very dim and there was no lamp to read by.
This is a noisy place to stay.. One of the many dogs that hang around was barking during the night several times.. You could hear people talking all during the night.. It seemed to be coming from behind our room..Some kind of tapping going on all night..You could hear the all the road trafic. The hotel laundry room was next to our room, we could hear the noise from that, first think in the morning.
Oh...Did I mention the dead rat on the way to breakfast. I'm sure at least one (more like several) of the staff walked past the dead thing. .. My husband had walked passed earlier that morning and later it was still there.
Now this wonderful breakfast several have talked about consist of the same thing every single morning....Scrambled eggs, fruit, beans and rice, toast , ham(lunch meat), cereal, orange drink, not juice, coffee and Pancake of some sort.. Nothing had any seasoning in it. Very Bland and mostly was all cold.
The tap water had a fowl smell to it.
The room was fairly clean, and we got lucky that the AC worked the whole time we were there, other"s were not so lucky..
Next store to the left of the hotel is a small Cafe. They make wonderful smoothies, They have great food also. The owner is a very sweet lady. She runs a great little Cafe. You will meet her children most likley if they are there.. They are all very polite.
The people that have written good reviews for this place must of bumped there heads while they were there.. Because I would never stay there again...I would rather sleep in the car..
I could keep writing.. but I want to put this experience behind me.

Room Tip: If our room was any indication of other rooms.. My tip is to find another place to stay.. don't...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple